Edgy Donation Page

ScottyMcpancakes

Well, the best way to help the project is to give your time if you have any skills which can be useful ;) And after that in priority comes helping out by testing the game and tell people about it. Only in third place is donating :) Not sure what we can change, adding another way to donate would complicate things unnecessarily (especially since all services has got some kind of fee and the more spread out the money is, the less we get to spend for the game). Don't worry though, donating is completely optional and not necessarily the best way to help either as I said above :)

• Like 3

I agree 0 A.D. doesn't have the most user-friendly donation pages. I remember when I donated through SPI it was pretty straightforward but the webpage did not assure me that the money really went to 0 A.D., I only knew that money was withdrawn from my account via SMS notification from my bank. Had I reveived, for example, an e-mail, that stated "you have successfully donated to 0 A.D" I wouldn't have worried at all. I am planning to donate again soon and see if the donation process has changed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoreei said:

I agree 0 A.D. doesn't have the most user-friendly donation pages. I remember when I donated through SPI it was pretty straightforward but the webpage did not assure me that the money really went to 0 A.D., I only knew that money was withdrawn from my account via SMS notification from my bank. Had I reveived, for example, an e-mail, that stated "you have successfully donated to 0 A.D" I wouldn't have worried at all. I am planning to donate again soon and see if the donation process has changed.

That's weird, I really thought there was an email sent out to everyone who donated via SPI. We do get an email every time someone donates via them though, so if nothing else you can ask us whether or not it got through.

51 minutes ago, feneur said:

That's weird, I really thought there was an email sent out to everyone who donated via SPI. We do get an email every time someone donates via them though, so if nothing else you can ask us whether or not it got through.

Indeed. I was wrong. A simple search in my mailbox brought up an email from SPI which, among other things, says "0 A.D.
Thank you for your contribution in support of 0 A.D.! " followed by the amount donated. I feel shameful now and I am sorry if I have misled anyone. I hadn't seen it till now.

To conclude, there IS proper notification when donating to 0 A.D. @ScottyMcpancakes needn't worry :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@yoreei isn't your fault , email don't know how manage  that kind of content.

Indeed, I only recently discovered how to let Gmail show me every email I receive every time I log in. I will not miss an email a second time. I hope this didn't stray too much from the topic.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I don't think that's a good idea to do it that way. We really don't want to encourage the other two ways too much, but putting them on the same tab would make it seem as if they are equally important. Also, as the information about SPI applies to both paying via credit card and PayPal it shouldn't "be on the same level", so I don't really think that much is gained by putting them on tabs.

What I do think we certainly should change is put the information about where the money goes at the top, it feels a bit hidden/"forgotten" there at the bottom. What do you think @Jeru?

• Like 2

Oh, I didn't understand that SPI applied to both credit card and paypal. I thought that SPI was another kind of donation method. Sorry but the donation page is really confusing..

Here is what I should have suggested: 

Spoiler

489919donationpage2.png

I added Bountysource and Patreon in the "other ways to donate" (tabs at the bottom) because I think they could be interesting for your project.

Bountysource for example allows people (players, contributors) to create bounties on bug tracker issues, encouraging developers to work on specific ideas or bugs.

This donation system was added for the OpenRA project quite some time ago: https://www.bountysource.com/teams/openra. It works quite well, imo.

Edited by xanax
  • Like 1

Thanks for your suggestions, xanax.

We now have access to a direct PayPal link for donating directly to 0 A.D through SPI (see here). I will make that the top way of donating, instead of Network for Good.

Click&Pledge will probably remain and be demoted to the "second-best" way to donate.

I also would like to get rid of the donations links to Flattr and the legacy PayPal account entirely because they're both a hassle to work with.

Last but not least, I want to write another financial report but I'm having trouble finding the time to do it :( I'll do it by December 15.

If we have a direct PayPal link removing the legacy PayPal would be fine, I'm not sure what to think about Flattr though. We mainly had it as a way to receive donations via Bitcoin iirc, but that was removed years ago. But on the other hand, if we still receive some donations via them it would probably be less hassle to keep it than trying to get the money to SPI instead. Especially since IIRC the fees connected with getting money from them at least to some degree were/at some stage were fixed, so it would be worth getting more before doing a transfer. Not sure how much we get from them, I remember getting emails with donation info from them, but that was quite some time ago now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed the donation page. The edgy Network for Good thingo is gone and a nice standard PayPal button has replaced it. It is also at the top of the page.

I would like the Treasury Committee's approval to consolidate all of the Flattr funds and all of the legacy PayPal funds into our SPI funds and to cancel the Flattr account. I'll conduct that discussion in a separate thread.

• Like 2

I have changed the donation page as per @xanax's suggestion. Thanks for this very valuable and constructive feedback!

I have also deleted the references to the legacy PayPal account and to Flattr from the donation page, as we have decided to consolidate all the funds into the SPI earmark anyway.

• Like 2