Small Group of Students wants to help (for school project)

Dear Dev Team!

We are a group of three students, from the University of Szeged, currently learning programming. This semester we have a course, called Software Engineering 2, in which we have a project work. We decided, to roll with the open source option, and wanted to contribute to you, if it is possible. ( I saw, that you welcome students with this cause, so i thought, why not give it a shot).

I read the GettingStartedProgrammers part of the trac (with my skills, and knowledge), and we want to help with the #3610 ticket (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3610), and the tickets listed in it's description, if it's possible (and we manage to make the #3610 work). I hope we can help with this, and i hope, we can achive something usefull for you. (We had a course about C, C++, Java, but not javascript, so it's a bit new to us, but we are ready to learn :D )

We dowloaded the sourcefiles already, but i'm not sure, if i have to do anything other right now, for this, so if i have to, please let me know.

So, yeah, i'm waiting for response, i would be glad, if we could help with this, and hope to have a good time during the coming months.

Thanks

Béla Tóth

ps: Sorry for mistakes, it was a long time, since i wrote something in english.

• Like 2

First of all welcome to you and your friends ;)

Of course it is possible to contribute to this project. With programming tickets in the trac it's just grab a ticket and start working on it (you can also assign the ticket to yourself). When u are finished upload a patch/diff and do the other things explained in the "submitting patches" page.

After downloading source you will need to build the game yourself: see the build instruction on trac for how to do that.

If you have any other questions about programming or the game itself feel free to join us and ask in IRC (most programmers don't read forums too often).

Good luck at programming!

Edited by bb
  • Like 5

Achie, welcome to 0 A.D.

That ticket sounds like something doable, but the description isn't completely correct either. Moving it to the Damage (or Armour) component won't help, as that component is part of the damage receiver. But the damage receiver isn't known until the arrow lands (the arrow has a pre-calculated path, but the unit can move out of that path). So you can't call the damage component of an unknown unit. Next to that, some projectiles (like ballistas) can deal damage to multiple targets.

The discussion on IRC is clearer in that regard: turn the damage helper into a system component, and make it keep track of the projectiles.

If you have questions, please join us on IRC (as bb said), then we can explain the structure of the project better, and perhaps show you some good JS resources.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...