Civic Centers

kikishoch

Recently I have been playing a lot of 0ad, it is a fun game with lots of game mechanics and has huge potential when out of alpha. One thing that has been bugging me against bots is them building multiple civic centers. An idea that came across my mind was an option for max civic centers.

Say in the "More Options" interface add an option for the number of civcs centers you are allowed to build, including "Unlimited" This idea could also expand to other building using the some principle I just described. Please let me know what you guys think of this.

Edited by kikishoch
  • Like 1

Considering that the Civic Centers are an important part of the game design and concept I don't think we generally will restrict them. Especially since there is a minimum distance between them, and expansion at least currently depends on them. It should be really easy to mod at the very least though, so things can certainly be modified to fit your wishes as well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kikishoch said:

Well, I think its a nice idea, i'm not asking for mutliple civic centers to be removed, i'm asking for more customization for it.

It's not as much a matter of customization as a matter of changing the entire way the game works though. Unless you make it possible to either build outside your territory, or make all buildings increase the size of your territory massively, you would end up with big areas without any buildings on large maps. If nothing else that would make the Mauryans really powerful as they can gather everywhere with their elephants.

1 minute ago, kikishoch said:

The thing is its reallly annoying to have bots building civic centers right outside your terrioty

If you lowered the number of possible civic centres (apart from 1, which is dumb), then this problem wouldn't be fixed, bots like encroaching on your territory. So this is a question of changing the AI I think.

Well, the

Just now, intipablo said:

If you lowered the number of possible civic centres (apart from 1, which is dumb), then this problem wouldn't be fixed, bots like encroaching on your territory. So this is a question of changing the AI I think.

Well, I hope they make the bots more like human-competitors, because it seems like they can multitask which gives them a huge headstart!

You have to be faster. BTW, i think that right now if you lose a building while under construction you don't lose resources.

Actually, the main strategy is skip the second cc and go straight to 3 phase, then mass champions with a heroe and capture everything. If you do it right, is better than make a CC in mosts situations.

Aye, unfortunately the encroachimg on each other's territory is basically the whole meta.  Try playing with a medium Petra AI ally, and watch them, and work with them, then after you win, you can watch the replay of the battle (O A.D. automatically records and saves all games ). I've learned a lot about playing faster from it.  Dont think of it as an annoyance, but a challenge.  Show the comp what happens when they encroach on you!

On 1/26/2016 at 0:39 AM, av93 said:

You have to be faster. BTW, i think that right now if you lose a building while under construction you don't lose resources.

Actually, the main strategy is skip the second cc and go straight to 3 phase, then mass champions with a heroe and capture everything. If you do it right, is better than make a CC in mosts situations.

If you kill off their builders they still lose.

I agree, building what you need to advance to the City phase is a better use of time and resources.