Planned forum upgrade & downtime

implodedok

Hi,

In about 2-3 hours some forum downtime is expected, due to upgrade to a new version of Invision Power Board. It is also possible that some things might not work as before, as we are doing quite a major upgrade. It is also likely that the forum skin will be changed. After the forum upgrade, we will also be upgrading to PHP7 and we will be changing to different webserver software.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience because of this upgrade.

Edit:  upgrade is finished

Nice work! And also on setting up the secure sites (y) The new theme is very modern, even if it takes a little getting used to.

One issue I'm having with the new forum is a prompt every time I visit asking me if I want notifications from this site. What exactly are the notifications? I can choose always show or always block, I'm just not sure what I'm choosing. This is using FF 43.

35 minutes ago, historic_bruno said:

Nice work! And also on setting up the secure sites (y) The new theme is very modern, even if it takes a little getting used to.

One issue I'm having with the new forum is a prompt every time I visit asking me if I want notifications from this site. What exactly are the notifications? I can choose always show or always block, I'm just not sure what I'm choosing. This is using FF 43.

The notifications are the same as the ones displayed on the top (under the bell icon), but which appear wherever your browser has set them to. In Chrome they appear regardless of which page I am (or even when I am not using the browser, but have it open of course), and over the content, so I'm not sure I'm all that interested in them. As long as you don't set things up to give you notifications about everything that possibly might happen I don't think it's a big deal either way. If you have the browser open to the forums, but are doing things which require your full attention it's probably for the best to disable them.

27 minutes ago, Jeru said:

Great job on the upgrade. The new forums are very good looking, but how do I see a list of new threads / threads with new posts (since my last visit)?

Click on "Unread Content", either accept it as is or modify it :)

Not sure how to enable spoilers. Have tried searching for more info, but can't seem to find much good information. Will continue looking tomorrow, if not Jan have found+fixed it before that (maybe it's something that can be enabled in the config files? I did read somewhere that you could change some additional settings there which aren't available in the Admin CP).

I have also added a "Latest topic" area to the activity stream page, which should be another way to find new topics rather than having to look through all new content (I can't see a way to set up the stream to just show new topics, but there certainly are a lot of other options :) ) It can be removed if people don't think it's a good idea, so please let me know what you think :)

There are a bunch of other "widgets" which can be added to different places: 

• Recently Browsing

Shows a list of active users in the current app

• Member Statistics

Shows global site statistics

• Similar Content

Shows similar content based on tags

• Recent Status Updates

Shows the most recent member status updates

• Popular Contributors

Shows which members have received the most reputation or likes across the last week, month, year or always.

• Who's Online

Shows all online users across the entire site

• Members

Show lists of members such as who is online, today's birthdays and more.

• Forum Statistics

Shows general forum statistics

• Popular Now

Show topics that are currently popular

• Topic Feed

Create a feed of topics based on custom sort and order options

• Post Feed

Create a feed of posts based on custom sort and order options

• Poll

Create a block with a poll from a topic

Please let me know if you want any of these enabled, and where :) The places on the page are top, right, and bottom  of the actual content (whether that is a post, the category list, the activity stream, etc). And yes, I do mean where as in on what type of page as well. The main forum page currently (and by default as far as I can tell) does have a Topic Feed (the topics which have had the most recent activity as far as I understand it, but you can do other things as well like list the most viewed/commented on topics, or list by name -- I think that only makes sense if you limit it by date and show more than five, but maybe there's something I'm not seeing =) ) and a "Who's Online". Should they remain or be changed or removed?

11 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

but I'm not sure if you guys  want a feedback.

Your feedback, positive and negative, is always welcome.

4 hours ago, Itms said:

I'm experiencing a little issue on my mobile (with Safari): most emoticons aren't displayed (I see a box with the text version inside)

Can you provide a screenshot and an exact link to the page where this is occurring?

• Like 2

Now we have a spoiler button again :) (It's the eye button next to the Emoticon/smiley icon) It was just to go to customize the editor and then enable it. There are a couple of additional ones we could include as well, but I don't want to overcrowd the editor bar. I'll mention them, and if there's interest in including them we can (the opposite is true as well of course, maybe we should remove some of the ones which are there now): Cut, Copy, Paste (I hope most people know the shortcut keys for these), Background Color (is most likely not useful, don't see when it would be needed, but it can be misused easily with weird colors or hard to read foreground/background combinations), Font selection, Increase Indent, Decrease Indent, Justify, Undo, Redo, Page (not really sure what it does, tested it, but I didn't really see an affect apart from it adding a "Next page" button, it didn't seem to take you to the next page as in the next of the pages added via this function, maybe it needs to be an actual page of posts or something, but I don't really see the value of adding that into a post :-/ ), Remove Formatting (could be useful, but is really only relevant if you copy and paste from elsewhere, and then you get the option to remove formatting any way. Ctrl + Right click to get the option to paste without formatting.)

It might also be worth mentioning that it's possible to add additional functionality, I'll copy the description from the Admin CP:   

You can obtain new plugins from CKEditor's website (must be compatible with version 4.5.6). 

As said they need to be compatible with version 4.5.6 of the CKEditor, and we might not want to include too many buttons, but if someone finds something they really want to have added we can certainly test and see if it works and is useful for us :)

20 hours ago, niektb said:

Increase and Decrease Indent might be nice actually, since Tab doesn't work

Added.

2 hours ago, GunChleoc said:

I think we could keep Remove Formatting for the less technically inclined.

Not sure how much easier it is to click a button which you might not know what it does rather than clicking a message that appears when you paste formatted content, but sure, I've added it.

Please let me know if you think it's too crowded.

When trying to download a file when being logged out, the following page is displayed:

wfg_forum_file_access_restricted.thumb.p

("The page you are trying to access is not available for your account. Error code: 2C171/1")

Examples:

* millenniumad.zip from https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20366-millennium-ad-ashmen-19-now-available/

* GoldenIsland.zip from https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20375-skirmish-golden-island-2/

(I think it's the same for other files too)

Was it the same in the previous forum version or it was possible to download files without login? (I think it was possible, but I'm not sure since I was usually logged in)