Some things in game are word very awkward IMHO.

First example I can think of is the use of word "malus-bonus." This is silly. Use word "penalty" instead. I am not native English speaker but even I can see "malus-bonus" is awkward.

There are other examples too. Anything come to the mind?

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Bonus / Penalty is very simple and "penalty" is something use in other games. I have never ever anywhere in any game see "Malus-Bonus." :) In fact, in Latin it mean "Bad-Good" which make no sense in the context. In fact, in English the word "Malus" is only ever use in financial matters: The return of performance-related compensation originally paid by an employer to an employee as a result of the discovery of a defect in the performance. - Wiktionary.

Trust me, Litmus, "Penalty" is much better. "Malus-Bonus" in fact sound like something someone made up because can't think of the right term (the right term is Penalty).

Some things in game are word very awkward IMHO.

First example I can think of is the use of word "malus-bonus." This is silly. Use word "penalty" instead. I am not native English speaker but even I can see "malus-bonus" is awkward.

There are other examples too. Anything come to the mind?

What i find silly is your way to report this kind of possible mistranslation by a non-english native. That's a bit pathetic.

The important notion to convey is that it can be either negative or positive, which penalty does not as far as i understand it, or do you propose penalty-bonus ? that would look akward. So any input from a native speaker would be appreciated.

I agree. I also hadn't heard of "malus" before. I'm fairly confident that at least ninety-nine percent of native English speakers haven't either. For those speaking Latin-based languages, it may very well be a different story.

The ordering of "bonus-malus" does make more sense as generally positive things are listed first.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin
  • Like 1

What i find silly is your way to report this kind of possible mistranslation by a non-english native. That's a bit pathetic.

The important notion to convey is that it can be either negative or positive, which penalty does not as far as i understand it, or do you propose penalty-bonus ? that would look akward. So any input from a native speaker would be appreciated.

Then it would be "bonus/penalty" if something can be either/or. I do not know why you take personally. English can be studied after all, so it does not matter where the critique come from, a native or non-native speaker as long as the critique is founded well.

• Like 2