Changes in farms

Wait, so citizen-soldiers behave differently based on what type of infantry unit, when gathering resources? Well, that explains why some people feel the system is broken. If they were standardized when gathering resources, I think that would go a long way toward fixing the system.

This  sounds some off topic, what about Cossacks 3 Farming mechanic.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/333420/discussions/0/350542683212516833/

Spoiler

Farms have fields, each field has a certain # of crops. Upgrades increase the number of crops and the speed that they are farmed.

So basically there is no limit, the limit is how many workers it takes to drain the field dry before it regrows.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zeta1127 said:

Wait, so citizen-soldiers behave differently based on what type of infantry unit, when gathering resources? Well, that explains why some people feel the system is broken. If they were standardized when gathering resources, I think that would go a long way toward fixing the system.

Slingers don't gather faster than pikemen, they shuttle faster because of their faster base speed. there is no "shuttle speed" in the templates, so there's no way to make the infantry shuttle resources at the same speed. BTW, "shuttling" means to bring resources back to the dropsite. In effect, this makes faster infantry more desirable as gatherers than slower infantry, when it is my contention that this should not have to be a consideration for the player and gameplay so a new element in the templates needs to be created for shuttle speed. 

That is... if soldiers gathering resources is kept for the game. But it would still be a nice element to have in the templates regardless.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 3:09 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Well, all of the aura in the game feel gamey. At the end of the day you have to accept some of these tropes and suspend disbelief. But perhaps the female aura is one step too far for you? For me, it's not so tedious as @WhiteTreePaladin says, because I use enough females that I'm relatively assured that if I send a few of them with the men to mine the stone that they'll have enough "coverage" for efficiant use of their aura. But I have no huge love for the feature though. At one point I removed it from DE -- but put it back again -- it felt charming to keep it, to use Brian [aka WhiteTreePaladin]'s word.

That's what I do; mix a few in and hope for the best. I don't have a strong feeling about the feature either way.

I actually like the auras for heroes because line of sight to a hero should change a units perspective (increased courage, etc.). I don't think it is too gimmicky. It isn't a feature that was in AoK though, so some won't like it for that reason. That said, I wish the aura was always visible when in effect so I can easily see what units are affected without having to select or highlight them. It's a similar issue with building HP. I like the new destruction textures that give me a rough idea of multiple building's damage levels simultaneously at a glance.

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Slingers don't gather faster than pikemen, they shuttle faster because of their faster base speed. there is no "shuttle speed" in the templates, so there's no way to make the infantry shuttle resources at the same speed. BTW, "shuttling" means to bring resources back to the dropsite. In effect, this makes faster infantry more desirable as gatherers than slower infantry, when it is my contention that this should not have to be a consideration for the player and gameplay so a new element in the templates needs to be created for shuttle speed. 

That is... if soldiers gathering resources is kept for the game. But it would still be a nice element to have in the templates regardless.

Changing walk speed might be adequate. Seems a little weird to have a shuffle speed and a walk speed. The just tempts the player to select a tree near the enemy base to make slow units walk there faster. We could always have infantry speed upgrades provided later in the game.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin

Likewise on auras. Hero auras are fine, they make some kind of sense (you see the hero, you're motivated). Women auras though… Kinda hard to wrap my head around. Not a big fan.

Personally, I think we should reset all unit speeds to 8/9 for foot units and 13 for cavalry or something along those lines. The splits between archer, skirms, pikemen, swordsmen and spearmen don't make a ton of sense.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GunChleoc said:

A uniform speed should also make it easier to move armies without the soldieres obstructing each other due to the differences in speed.

That would be fixed by my unit motion rewrite which reintroduces a viable way for units to walk together at the same speed.

• Like 3