[Skirmish] Dueling Cliffs (3v3)

scythetwirler

A foggy alpine landscape becomes a battleground as each team has an ally squashed precariously between two enemies. Two forest cliffs overlook the center lake, accessible from the sides of the map.

A twist to the traditional allies grouped together on one side norm of 0 A.D. Multiplayer.

Starting outputs let the isolated players' allies have a peek at his predicament. The isolated player also starts with 8 defense towers at the edge of his or her territory.

From the gameplay perspective:

• Greatly stresses the importance of elevation bonus. Easily defendable clifftop settlements will no doubt provide a good advantage to the settler.
  • Each sandwiched player has two outposts near their Civic Center owned by his or her allies across the lake so they can see the state of his home base before the shared vision tech is researched.

dueling_cliffsv3.png

Screenshots:

Spoiler

dueling_cliffs_1.png

Spoiler

dueling_cliffs_2.png

DuelingCliffs.zip

DuelingCliffsv2.zip

• 3 months later...

@scythetwirler Sorry for taking so long to take a look into this map (as you asked).

I did some detailing on the cyan player base and the nearest cliff. If you like the direction I'll continue my improvements (and if not I hope you'll be able give some suggestions). I must say the map did improve quite a bit from v1 to v2 :thumbsup:

map_Dueling_Cliffs.zip

• 1 month later...

@elexis: All those quadic bits in that 'subtle' transition is what bugged me, hence I replaced it (with indeed a bit sharper transition). I could alter the terrain a bit there to make it more natural, but I'm not sure if that's wanted.

Oh, I didn't notice that pattern in the player placement...

Edited by niektb

13 hours ago, elexis said:

Good job. The only improvement I would suggest is the playernumbers. If the diplo screen doesn't show teams as 111222 it should show them as 121212 and so that it becomes obvious which enemy is trapped between allies.

@niektb112212 with the last ones sandwiched. :)

I just realized that I made one of the banks too narrow. I've attached a modified version of the banks with your changes. If you've already started working on further changes, I'd be happy to reapply it after you finish them. :) (Nice snow effect, btw :D)

Spoiler

Q6DQBhI.png

e2DhiB4.png

DuelingCliffsv3.zip

• Like 1

• Some outposts seem to be owned by the wrong player
  • The civic centers should be rotated correctly
  • It is not completely easy to find a place to build a CC on the mountain, so maybe remove few indvidual trees here and there to make some space.
  • Still seems weird to have green meadows like in summer and then snow some meters away, but no release blocker. Can be seen as a way to highlight the height of the mountain I guess.

4 minutes ago, elexis said:
  • Some outposts seem to be owned by the wrong player

It seems correct (they way I intended) in the latest file uploaded by niektb. The ally sandwiched between enemies has two outposts owned by each one of his/her allies respectively, so that they can see a small bit before the shared vision tech is researched.

6 minutes ago, elexis said:
  • It is not completely easy to find a place to build a CC on the mountain, so maybe remove few indvidual trees here and there to make some space.

Agreed.

• 1 month later...