I thought it could be interesting to stream in twitch.tv while I'm doing Art stuff for the game.

Since art dev is open, I couldn't think anything as open as that :P

As I'll be working on art stuff, streaming does not take extra effort, so if anyone's interested I'll be streaming here:

www.twitch.tv/exmanko

I'll be announcing here when there will be streaming sessions and the topic of them.

The hours of the streams will be dictated by my work schedule though.

If people gets interested we could schedule live tutorials on how to add assets for 0AD, ao baking, actor creation etc.

Recorded streams:

https://www.twitch.tv/exmanko/videos/all

• Like 6

I guess there's an option for that in twitch. Not 100% sure though, I've never used it before, I'll try to do some tests tomorrow before a session :)

It might be an option that is only available for the more established hosts. I only remember seeing it on the bigger channels. And in either case it's just temporary, so if it's something to keep it's better to record yourself and post to YouTube.

Streaming soon, making two more oak trees variations to have 6. I do not work today as you can see :P Enjoy!

Only problem is that we will become spoiled ;) Nah, don't worry. It's really nice (and educative) to watch your streams, so more is certainly better than less, even if it's not going to continue forever :)

• 4 months later...

Nice!

Walk and gallop really look great!

Trot seams a bit mechanical/artificial (well, it is unnatural to horses IIRC and I'm not even sure if horses where trained for trot at 500-1 BC at all).

Thanks for posting. I hope I'll be available for at least some of your streams ;)

EDIT:

English Wikipedia (Trait) states:

The trot is the working gait for a horse. Despite what one sees in movies, horses can only canter and gallop for short periods at a time, after which they need time to rest and recover. Horses in good condition can maintain a working trot for hours. The trot is the main way horses travel quickly from one place to the next.

...suggesting trot is definitely a natural gait.

EARLIER:

I can't find any solid reference for if trot in general is or is not something used by wild horses (or if not when it appeared in the history if riding and if it's a genetic or a trained gait).

English wikipedia (trot) just states:

Working trot or Trot: The stride length (note: some breeds have naturally varied strides) is "normal" for the horse and is the natural trot of the horse when under saddle. It is a gait between the collected trot and medium trot.

...which can mean both, that there is no natural trot so that this kind of trot is just the "most natural" or that this is actually a natural gait and also feels most natural to the rider.

German Wikipedia (Pferdegangart) states:

Der Tölt ist eine vererbbare Spezialgangart, die für den Reiter besonders angenehm ist. Im Gegensatz zu Trab und Galopp hat Tölt keine Schwebephase, sondern ist eine gelaufene Gangart.

...suggesting that at least some horses have a gait between walk and gallop, in this case inheritable (so likely not trained). This specific one is not considered trot though.

Horses were domesticated for riding and driving at least around 3500 BC. So it would seem strange to me that in all those years between the domestication of the horse and our timeframe, nobody had discovered the benefits of a trot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestication_of_the_horse

Btw, the article also has some nice info on the size of the horses used in warfare too, they were a bit smaller than the current horses, but then again, men were smaller too. So I guess it evens out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FeXoR said:

German Wikipedia (Pferdegangart) states:

...suggesting that at least some horses have a gait between walk and gallop, in this case inheritable (so likely not trained). This specific one is not considered trot though.

Tölt is NOT trot, and only a few horse breeds can do it. The German word for trot is "Trab" or "traben". English for Tölt is "pace".

1 hour ago, Imarok said:

I think the horse moves the head to much in the trot animation

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Hi, for horse walking animation the front legs don't seem to extend the same at the knees.

I agree with both. These anims will have a second pass.

• Like 1