[a19 replays] Can we have a forum for recorded games?

_RCF_DiAmOnD

I think you can start from uploading them into this topic. If there will be a significant amount of posts, they can be split/moved into a subforum.

I agree. It's an easy thing to set up, but if there is no need for such a forum it would just be confusing to split things up.

Yeah, I hope people share their replays :-)

It were nice if we had a custom website to upload replays and make them searchable. It could display some details about the replay file (shouldn't be that hard as the information is contained in metadata.json).

Later one might add showing summary screen stats, map preview etc. online. Sounds like work though.

• Like 1

Won't better a strategy forum? (Yeah I know that game is in aplha but...)

I'd say the answer is the same, discuss strategy enough (though in that case please don't use this topic ;) ) and then there can be a new forum :) It's certainly a good thing to mention it though as that means it will be at the back of my (and others) heads when we see new topics and can evaluate the need for a new forum or not :)

Here are 3 1v1 between me and AoL_Wonox from today.

all civs Brits, mapsize 3, mainland

AoL_Wonox wins all 3

It didn't show up in the replay list. After unchecking "Filter compatible replays", it shows up in gray, and shows "You don't have the same mods active as the replay does. Required: mod, public Active: mod, public, user".

I don't have any custom mod and I don't know what is a "user" mod.

I can still manually edit the replay to change the mod requirements.

I will vote a big fat NO on this one fore now. We're in alpha, I have problems getting my own savegames to work properly when I close the game and losd them later. This would lead to complaint spam and i think every forum mod or admin has enuf to contend with thx.

The game already supports this, it is only a matter of putting the right folder at the right position (something that the user should do). Also, you don't need to download replays...

Here are 3 1v1 between me and AoL_Wonox from today.

all civs Brits, mapsize 3, mainland

AoL_Wonox wins all 3

Now for the commentary after reviewing the replays.

I'm surprised ffm is consistently defeated. In my impression ffm is already a very good player, and I've learned one or two tricks from him.

Wonox definitely manages his economy extremely well, with 130 pop at 10th minute (in one of the games), which is an achievement itself (previous discussion on Gauls build order has a claim of 110 pop at 10 min, and myself can only get 100 pop with Romans). But without attacking, I think ffm's economy is almost as good, and Wonox only has a slight economy advantage, leading with 5 more pop at 5th minute.

I think the deciding factor is that Wonox brings the fight to ffm early on (in all 3 games), which magnifies the economy disparity. A very simple fact in this game is that one soldier fighting is one soldier not gathering. Another very simple fact is that the defender will have to commit more troops to the fight than the attacker, either to ensure not losing the local fight (the attacker comes in concentrated formation, but the defenders are scattered), or by accidentally selecting more than necessary troops, which is very prone to happen (it's quite hard to estimate the number of troops without selecting). These two facts together imply the defender will suffer more in economy.

Another effect of being attacked is it does not goes to plan, and it will screw up the defender's build order.

Taking a closer look at the first game. At 5 min, Wonox dispatched 20 soldiers to attack ffm's economy. At 6 min right before the fight commenced, the two almost had the same economy level:

• ffm: 25 women gathering food, 25 soldiers gathering wood, (5 soldiers in training)
  • Wonox: 15 women for food, 10 women and 5 soldiers for wood, 5 soldiers for stone

The fight lasted 1 minute and 5 losses on each side. All ffm's troops (25, and 5 later trained) were committed to defense against Wonox's 20 and ffm's wood gathering stopped for 1 minute, while Wonox continued wood (10+5 pop) and stone (5 pop) gathering for 1 minute.

The effect on ffm's build order was also very clear: house building was interrupted, and consequently hampered troop training; the barrack went up 1 minutes later than Wonox. The population difference went up to more than 10. And that basically decided the outcome.

TL;DR: The first striker enjoys an economy advantage by forcing more troops in the defense to halt production.

• Like 2

@xfs: How do you know how many units who had at which time? In the recorded games I can't go into the color of the players (like in AOE for example). I can only watch from an objective position without being able to select units or something like that. So it is diffecult to know who has how many units at which time.

By the way I had the same problem with the recorded games. I also had to change the record (commands file) manually to watch the game.