Alpha 19 FAQ

scythetwirler

Some questions that seemed to pop up over and over again in the multiplayer lobby. Hopefully this will help for the transition between alphas. :)

I can't see my allies when starting a game.

Shared vision is now a tech unlocked in the market. Until then, you are restricted to your own vision.

I right click on a building to attack and all my units just stand next to it idling!

They are not idling, but capturing. Capturing currently has no animation, so it looks like they are idling, but they are actively draining loyalty from the building.
If you want to attack a building (or siege engine), use the Ctrl+Right click command.

How does capturing/loyalty work?

Each building, structure, or siege engine (with the exception of walls and gates) has a loyalty bar under the HP bar. A building not connected to an allied territory will lose loyalty over time to nearby territorial presences (including Gaia).
Garrisoned units will replenish loyalty of a building. Capturing units drain loyalty and change an amount loyalty of loyalty to their team.

When an building's owner has 0 loyalty of a building, ownership of the building is transferred to the player with the most loyalty points on the building, ejecting any garrisoned units of the previous owner.

HP and Loyalty points are independent of each other.

You can train similar units at captured enemy buildings. (e.g. Female Citizens and the corresponding classes of citizen soldiers if available and match at the Civic Center).

Where can I watch replays?

Replays are located on the Main Menu under Tools & Options.[line][/line]

Other new features (post by elexis):

* Reduced Lag
Since a new pathfinder was implemented, the performance is now far better, allowing the game to run more smoothly and hence reduces some reasons for lagging.

* Ceasefire
A gamesetup option that prevents enemies from attacking each other for the first X minutes. Very useful for nomad games.

* Observer Late Join
A gamesetup option that allows others to join as spectators after the game started.

* Kick / ban players
When hosting a game, you can type /kick username or /ban username to get rid of unwanted players.

* Maximum population tooltip
Move the cursor over your population count to see the maximum number of units that you can produce (population limit).

* Formations are disabled by default
This was a decision for a19 as they are still buggy and often don't follow your orders. You can still select formations when you need them.

* Proportional refunds
When you delete an unfinished building, only a partial amount of those resources will be returned. This means on nomad you can't delete your CC and set it somewhere else (once you started building).

Some problems you may experience:

* Replay menu takes very long to load
This is a known issue. All replay files have to be loaded. You can rename your sim_log directory (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths) to create an empty list, to temporarily fix the problem. Edited by elexis
added content of elexis's post
  • Like 1

I right click on a building to attack and all my units just stand next to it idling!

They are not idling, but capturing. Capturing currently has no animation, so it looks like they are idling, but they are actively draining loyalty from the building.
If you want to attack a building (or siege engine), use the Ctrl+Right click command.

Capture sould be second so you attack first and if you want to capture you give them a command via short-cut or UI.

• Like 1

Some other new features:

* Reduced Lag

Since a new pathfinder was implemented, the performance is now far better, allowing the game to run more smoothly and hence reduces some reasons for lagging.

* Ceasefire

A gamesetup option that prevents enemies from attacking each other for the first X minutes. Very useful for nomad games.

* Observer Late Join

A gamesetup option that allows others to join as spectators after the game started.

* Kick / ban players

When hosting a game, you can type /kick username or /ban username to get rid of unwanted players.

* Maximum population tooltip

Move the cursor over your population count to see the maximum number of units that you can produce (population limit).

* Formations are disabled by default

This was a decision for a19 as they are still buggy and often don't follow your orders. You can still select formations when you need them.

* Proportional refunds
When you delete an unfinished building, only a partial amount of those resources will be returned. This means on nomad you can't delete your CC and set it somewhere else (once you started building).

Some problems you may experience:

* Replay menu takes very long to load

This is a known issue. All replay files have to be loaded. You can rename your sim_log directory (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths) to create an empty list, to temporarily fix the problem.

Capture sould be second so you attack first and if you want to capture you give them a command via short-cut or UI.

Setting capturing as the default attack (certainly for this version) was a definite decision. Else the feature would go unnoticed, and players wouldn't know what was happening when someone did start to capture their buildings.

Capturing is meant to have a bigger advantage against an enemy, certainly when the enemy isn't defending a structure properly.

Now that the game can visualize replays, how to share replays?

I can see a sim_log directory, and there are sub-directories like these: 7483, 7483-1, 7483-2, 7483-3, 7483-4, 7483-5, and commands.txt and metadata.json files in those. I suppose I could pack some of these directories into a zip file which can be shared, but I have no idea how this is structured and which ones to completely pack up.

Now that the game can visualize replays, how to share replays?

I can see a sim_log directory, and there are sub-directories like these: 7483, 7483-1, 7483-2, 7483-3, 7483-4, 7483-5, and commands.txt and metadata.json files in those. I suppose I could pack some of these directories into a zip file which can be shared, but I have no idea how this is structured and which ones to completely pack up.

These folders are created by process ID, where xxxx-1 is the first game you had that time you opened the application, xxxx-2 is the second etc. Opening a new instance will make a new process ID. Sorting the folders by date modified should make it easier for you to find the game you are looking for. The files inside each folder will also have a configuration data of the match at the beginning (like map, players etc.)

• 5 months later...