New Release: 0 A.D. Alpha 19 Syllepsis

feneur

Arch repos just got updated. It's looking good. I did a litle testing and still have lot problems with formations and movements. Units get stuck in buildings or get undecided. in formations units try to occupy the same place, to the point of having 60 units in the place intended to one. this makes the game lag big time, and units being uncontrollable. I was hoping that with the new pathfinder this issues were solved. 8/

Formations were disabled in this version for the reasons you mention, they are at least not currently working as they should.

i still can use formations, thou by default the formations are set for the unorganized (scattered i think) mode. BTW I love the new capture mode!

I don't really care about style formation ( I use only 3 or 4 ).

But now on this release it is impossible to create group (CRTL + 1..9) and it is a very important option.

I used a lot this option (I play SOLO against Very Hard AI).

Did you find a trick to create group ?

@ AD developer

Thanks for your work, I love your game

but please focus more on important options like create group (and select group).

if too complex, try less style of formation: 1.no organized (scattered), 2.army formation or compact, 3.skirmish and 4.large.

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (32bits)

Edited by frita

You can use SVN if you want incremental updates. But patches and binary files is a difficult combination. We prefer to put our time into other features.

If only the game were on Steam :( Then the update process would be much more convenient for users.

I know the game's still in alpha, but it could be "early access" on Steam.

Many, many thanks for the new pathfinder! Now the game performs very well! I wasn't able to play it with my friends in the past since it started to stutter with a certain amount of units. Now it does work very well! I'll do a lot of advertising in linux forums as well as german hardware and games forums now. Hopefully we'll get more attention, players and maybe some donations. I'll donate a few bugs, too! :)

I do agree with Andrettin: The game should be on Steam NOW since it's very nicely playable! Maybe you could upload snapshots over there after they have been tested by the community! :)

@Andrettin: Under Linux the package manager does Update the game which is very nice! You should try linux! If you don't want to check out Chocolatey [1]. It's more or less the same thing for windows. You can update quite a lot of programs with that one - like Firefox, Flash, CD Burner XP, etc... :)

[1] https://chocolatey.org/

Edited by cRaZy-biScuiT
  • Like 1

We will look into possibly getting the game on Steam once we reach Beta, but either way I'm not 100% sure it would be all that much more convenient. I've just taken a quick look, but as far as I can tell you have to use the Steam SDK to make use of things like auto-updating etc, and I'm not sure using that would be compatible with our licenses.

We will look into possibly getting the game on Steam once we reach Beta, but either way I'm not 100% sure it would be all that much more convenient. I've just taken a quick look, but as far as I can tell you have to use the Steam SDK to make use of things like auto-updating etc, and I'm not sure using that would be compatible with our licenses.

I think it would be good to put it already before reaching beta. 0 AD is already in a very playable state, and Steam has the "early access" option for games anyhow. The added visibility from Steam could also really help getting more contributors.

Anyhow, you don't need the Steam API to make use of auto-updating. I have put the open-source game I develop on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/370070

Here is another example of an open-source game on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/404410/

If you want more information about the process of getting an open-source game on Steam, feel free to PM me.

Edited by Andrettin

@Andrettin: Under Linux the package manager does Update the game which is very nice! You should try linux! If you don't want to check out Chocolatey [1]. It's more or less the same thing for windows. You can update quite a lot of programs with that one - like Firefox, Flash, CD Burner XP, etc... :)

[1] https://chocolatey.org/

I haven't made the jump to Linux... maybe someday I will :P

Thanks for the link, I will take a look!

You don't need the Steam API to make use of auto-updating. I have put the open-source game I develop on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/370070

Here is another example of an open-source game on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/404410/

If you want more information about the process of getting an open-source game on Steam, feel free to PM me.

Thank you very much, but still, I think we will wait until we reach Beta :) If nothing else it's one more place to monitor and keep up-to-date/reply to questions etc. But most importantly we want to make sure that 0 A.D. gives the best impression it can when/if it's on Steam. We certainly want to have a tutorial etc, and generally speaking a feature complete game, so that people will not just see it and dismiss it, even if they'd end up liking it once it's more polished.

I don't understand the usual request about going to Steam: as a player, I absolutely HATE the auto-update system for instance, because I can't choose when to do an update (which breaks all my savegames, possibly other critical things too because it's an alpha)

• Like 2

Thank you very much, but still, I think we will wait until we reach Beta :) If nothing else it's one more place to monitor and keep up-to-date/reply to questions etc. But most importantly we want to make sure that 0 A.D. gives the best impression it can when/if it's on Steam. We certainly want to have a tutorial etc, and generally speaking a feature complete game, so that people will not just see it and dismiss it, even if they'd end up liking it once it's more polished.

I agree that it is best to have the game released when it's more complete, specially since Steam visibility is very front-loaded (that is, you get most of your visibility at release). But to my knowledge, if it is an "early access" game, you still get to be on the front page after you change it from "early access" to release. So you can have it as "early access" and when it's feature complete release it and have it on the front page. And in any case, if you put the game on Steam Greenlight, there is no commitment regarding when to make it available on Steam - you can do that whenever you want, while already having being able to familiarize yourself with the process of getting it on Steam.

I don't mean to pressure you or anything, I just love this game and would find it great to see it on Steam :) I think I've made my point so I'll stop now :P

I don't understand the usual request about going to Steam: as a player, I absolutely HATE the auto-update system for instance, because I can't choose when to do an update (which breaks all my savegames, possibly other critical things too because it's an alpha)

If autoupdate system comes some day to 0 a.d, it would be nice to be optional, but I think that's a needed feature for the Beta

• Like 1

Hi, it's been a long time since I played this.

Can't wait to try new version.

It's very fast via Bittorrent... only took a few minutes on my broadband connection.

It can, depending on the availables speeds from the seeders and what the downloader can achieve.

I've got two seedboxes that are currently seeding both the Windows and MAC versions.

The seedboxes, each, have a potential to upload to users well over 50Mbps, but it really depends on the downloader.

My combined ratio for Windows on both seedboxes is just over 200 (sharing just over 200 full copies of what I downloaded).

Since these don't take that much space, I'll seed as long as I can.

Probably just until next release and then seed only those.

Looking forward to giving this game another run. :)

I think alpha 15 was the last time I played.

Has anyone else been having problems with the A.I. ? I get a bunch of javascript errors on Ubuntu.

If you get errors, it's best to copy paste them into a separate report (like a new thread).

See http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths on where to find the different logs per OS (note that logs are overwritten when a new game is started, so it's important to copy the logs immediately after your game with errors)

Hello, i am new in this forum.

I want to appreciate the effort to make this game

i used the new version of 0ad.
i tought that the new path finer would solve the problem but not.
I never finish a game because it always, always starts to lag when i have more troops.
i dont understand why i run in 70 FPS but the game is laging a lot.