Isometric View Option

• 3 weeks later...
On 17.10.2017 at 11:29 PM, stanislas69 said:

@elexis Vlad' had at least I guess that's what he meant by "I'll try some stuff".

I've made some stuff, and it works, but it has hacky code, because we don't have a clear way to add custom matrices. So, I need to refract & test it. I think I'll post a diff to phab after refractoring to someone will be able to test it too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Feel free to edit these settings as you wish. Note: You'll need to disable real depth for water in the in-game graphics option menu. (y)  

; Experimental probably-non-working GPU skinning support; requires preferglsl; use at own risk
gpuskinning = true

materialmgr.quality=10
materialmgr.PARALLAX_VHQ_DIST.max = 30

; Standard View

;view.zoom.min = 40.0
;view.zoom.max = 200.0
;view.zoom.default = 120.0
;view.fov = 45.0

; Isometric View

view.zoom.min = 800.0			; Zoom needs to be this far because of low fov
view.zoom.max = 4600.0			; Zoom needs to be this far because of low fov
view.zoom.default = 2500.0		; Zoom needs to be this far because of low fov
view.zoom.speed = 4000.0		; Zoom speed needs to be this high because of reasons
view.zoom.speed.wheel = 300.0	; Zoom speed needs to be this high because of reasons
view.zoom.smoothness = 0.1		; Lowered because of the extreme zoom 
view.rotate.y.speed = 0.0		; This prevents camera rotation
view.rotate.x.speed = 0.0		; This prevents camera tilting
view.scroll.speed = 200.0
view.fov = 2.0					; This is what gives the nearly isometric view
view.near = 40.0				; Near plane distance increased to prevent z-fighting
view.far = 5000.0				; To make the max zoom work

hotkey.camera.rotate.up = L     	; Rotate camera to look upwards
hotkey.camera.rotate.down = L     	; Rotate camera to look downwards
hotkey.camera.rotate.cw = L    		; Rotate camera clockwise around terrain
hotkey.camera.rotate.ccw = L  		; Rotate camera anticlockwise around terrain
hotkey.camera.rotate.wheel.cw = L 	; Rotate camera clockwise around terrain (stepped control)
hotkey.camera.rotate.wheel.ccw = L 	; Rotate camera anticlockwise around terrain (stepped control)

; > SYSTEM SETTINGS

hotkey.screenshot = F7                          ; Take PNG screenshot
hotkey.bigscreenshot = "Shift+F7"               ; Take large BMP screenshot

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone I am looking forward to hearing your confirmation of the bounty realization from @xan2622 upon next release :thumbsup: :newyear:

Lol nah. Mine is just a hack by editing numbers in local.cfg. The comprehensive solution would be to code a new rendering matrix for isometric. And then you need new audio code for the sound effects since the current code is semi 3D and doesn't work quite right for a 2D representation. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

what is the  technical limitation to don't move this to GUI options?

Isometric hack? It might have not good consequences for rendering (for ex mentioned real depth option).

Why not implement a good solution you may ask. I answer: it requires some refactoring. And it's in process, current patch: D2020, recently committed related patches rP22340, rP22395rP22404.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Because can be take many development time. Isn't a mportant feature. Like others.

You're right that we have to prioritise things. What I can say about these patches, they open/help to open doors to some other features. And about me I spend less 5% of my 0ad time on the camera features.

• Like 1

I think it would be cool to compile a list of wants and needs for an isometric camera option.

For example, on the art side, it would increased rendering performance greatly if we disable building rotation (for that authentic isometric feel) and then create isometric versions of the game models, specifically eliminating the unseen backfaces on the meshes. We could potentially eliminate 40% of the polygons/triangles rendered in-game.

There could also some custom sound wants/needs depending on how a new rendering matrix affects/works with the 3D sound engine.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Because can be take many development time. Isn't a mportant feature. Like others.

4 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

You're right that we have to prioritise things. What I can say about these patches, they open/help to open doors to some other features. And about me I spend less 5% of my 0ad time on the camera features.

Plus there's my user.cfg hacks that people can contend themselves with until such time as a true iso view is an option. :)