Isometric View Option

9 hours ago, av93 said:

Great job, very beautiful screenshots. BTW, with this view, it's easier to place buildings? (there's some kind of grid?)

It is already easy to place building in the game. I know what you mean, but I don't think it is easier with a grid, unless you mean easier to use buildings to wall off chock point, then yes grid is easier. ;) But I did think about that before your post, and I don't think it would be practical to have a grid in ISO and not have grid in Standard because of the maps mnot being made with grid restriction (trees, etc. would not conform to the grid).

• Like 1

Okay, so look like reduce fog by a factor of 10 works (just add zero, never multiply, is important, you die).

So, fog go from 

<Fog>
            <FogFactor>0.00155273</FogFactor>
            <FogThickness>0</FogThickness>
            <FogColor r="0.756863" g="0.784314" b="0.831373"/>
        </Fog>

to

<Fog>
            <FogFactor>0.000155273</FogFactor>
            <FogThickness>0</FogThickness>
            <FogColor r="0.756863" g="0.784314" b="0.831373"/>
        </Fog>

This makes it a little foggy at default zoom and get a little foggier when zoom max out. Fog goes away when zoom min in.

Honest? With ISO view  I think fog should just be remove on most maps, but on maps where fog is important to the design, like Northern Island, the fog can be reduced by this method and look good.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Would more options in user.cfg help to fix it ?

You mean these?

On 11/26/2015 at 5:12 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

A couple of problem:

• Action sounds cannot be heard. Camera zoom is too far away.
  • Distance fog very heavy (again because zoom is very far).
  • Clouds need to be disable in this view too.
  • Like 1

Maybe, like making the option for sounds to be omnipresent. Toggling cloud actors is not really a config option kind of thing, but maybe it is. As I said previously too, distance fog doesn't need turned off per se, it just needs reduced by a factor of 10. I don't think disabling the fog entirely would be desirable, as it's an integral part to some maps, just adjusted by a certain amount.

Also, looks like an orthographic matrix would be more ideal than adjusting 3D camera options to cheat a semi-realistic isometric view like what I'm doing. With such a matrix, it would be better to just have its own config, maybe:  https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3653#comment:7

Because what I'm doing with this config modification is really just cheating. It's pulling back the 3D camera suuuuper far so that things look flat, and then reducing the camera field of view to blow up a tiny section of the view and make it visible. That's why the distance fog looks so thick, because in reality you are looking at everything from a super far distance, and that's why the sounds don't work right too, they're too far away even though they "look" close.

There would need to be totally separate sound configs, certainly. The current sound system is quasi-3D, whereas in an isometric game you don't want or need 3D audio at all. Also, if you still want building rotation in iso/ortho mode, which I would since the game world is still technically 3D and you may need to rotate non-square buildings around obstacles, etc., the building rotation should be capped to 45 degree angles. In perspective mode you'd expect/want more freedom.

• Like 2

Wow! Those are new Kushite buildings! Gorgeous! Envious of the very clear picture. 

More zoom out would be nice. I'm thinking about the entire structures that can be built around say a Tuscan Acropolis will be visible during maximum Zoom out.  The size and grids of this map is imo the best Acropolis among all maps. 

We need to have that feature in a non hacky way, I consider tweaking the camera not being one and I wouldn't mind it triggering sound changes and cloud tweaks. but that's just me. For the correct way I can't help though.

In the meantime I'm making progress with D557 will push a patch update when I fix traders. So far everything else is working except formations, and maybe the fact that the're are a lot of lines when many units are selected. However it's playable.

Will still have to go through the review process though.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 14.09.2017 at 12:57 AM, stanislas69 said:

We need to have that feature in a non hacky way, I consider tweaking the camera not being one and I wouldn't mind it triggering sound changes and cloud tweaks. but that's just me. For the correct way I can't help though.

I think it's possible, at least it shouldn't be hard. Because we just need to change the projection matrix. There are few corner cases with culling, but I hope they're easy to solve.

I'll try to do some stuff.

Edited by vladislavbelov
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2