We play a new game?

I have an idea we are planning the future of 0 A.D but we cant have agree in many aspects.

My game consist in play if is possibly other games.

Why_ Because we discuss about balance, quit phasing and ever and ever we dont take a best desicions. may be is because not all were play the same games.

The rules are the following.

Main games RTS and TBS
Are allowed : simulation ( city builders and war games)
Card games ( strategy)
Board games ( video games )
Mobile strategic games.( not puzzle)
All need be videogames or famous ( monopoly)

First all named their favorite games in order 1 very important and the next less important.
From these games we named the features we enjoy and can be nice to 0A.D

So... If are a game that you don't even play in the other user list, you must play.

Things way we can have at last some experience.

Example I never play command and conquer or battle for middle earth ( Lord of rings).
I must play with them. Because I'm not understanding some suggestions.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 2

ok I will Start. that my experience.

Rome Total War

Caesar II

Age of Empires 2

Age of Empires 3

Age of Mythology

Rome 2 total War

Empire Earth

Empire Earth 2

Starcraft 2

Starcraft 1

Rise of Nations

Age of Empires

Warcraft

Age of Empires Online

Praetorians

Rise And Fall Civilization at War

Grand Ages Rome

CivCity: Rome

Caesar 3

Caesar 4

Monopoly

Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Tropico 3

Medieval 2 Total War

Imperium 3

Imperium Romanum

Ancient Wars Sparta

Magic The Gathering in ipad.

Age of Empires (Mobile for ios and Win Phone)

Starwars Battlegrounds

may be others

Neverwinter Nights

Spellforce

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Ok lets Go:

Features by Age of Empires 2 (even African Kingdoms) (because the 1st and 2nd aren't RTS)

the basic mechanics. capture sheeps, game modes, maps, biomes, enviroment, eyecandy. counter system

4 Ages/phases, less LOS, less restriction with some buildings. the Start must be a survive and may be slow.

example me playing.

1: The Question is who don't play this game, yet?

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Praetorians

-Ambush system

-Divide/form battalion (Not likely to happen, IIRC)

Stronghold Series

-Regicide (Planned feature)

-Stockpile system (You can't just hoard resources, you need a place to keep them, and you need to guard them. The enemy might try destroy it, or steal it and make use of it. This will make the storehouse a strategic structure and not just a dropsite.)

-Terrain fertility

-Unique given names for each unit (Like, Naughtius Maximus, Sillius Soddus or Biggus..) Another Monthy Python ref. Haha :D

The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II

-Custom hero creation

-Walls attached/part of some strategic buildings (CC, Fortress, ?Barracks?)

-Gaia structures and treasure guardians (Ex. Mordor can capture and use troll/goblin caves while Free peoples cannot and their only option is to destroy it and collect the loot, in 0AD, certain barbarian settlements (Gaia structure) will only provide certain things to factions on the map that are not part of their culture, like trade and some basic units, while a faction with a similar culture could get better trade plus access to special units.)

Total War Series

-Stamina and Morale (Reduced fighting capabilities, Inability to control broken units, etc.) I liked wraitii's suggested system in trac.

Wacraft III

-Similar ability system (Planned feature, IIRC?)

-Skirmish/Campaign hero system (Skirmish and Campaign heroes are seperated, 3 default and randomly named/non-canon hero types are provided for Skirmish, and named/canon heroes are only reserved for Campaign)

-Diverse game customization resources available and easy to mod, plus awesome scripts (I think this one is already achieved, :) Thumbs up to the team!)

To summarize some of the suggestions above, most of the popular RTS out there and some the games that we have all commonly played, have a common ground in terms of neutral capture points (Gaia structures) Games like Red Alert, Warcraft, BFME2, Rising Kingdoms, Company of Heroes, C&C Generals and many more have implemented them.

In my opinion this simulates the urge to declare or use conflict due to the presence of strategic resources which one can use to elevate his standing in a certain situation, just like in real life, Two big countries fighting for a specific region with a resource that they both need or is strategic for them, which likely ends in a major conflict/confrontation. And just like in a game/match, if you know that a capture point/Gaia structure will help you win the game, you will do anything to successfully defend it, and you also know that failing to do so will put you to a major disadvantage. (You can also try to Raze and burn it to the ground and practice scorched earth policy.)

Edited by wackyserious
  • Like 2

ok fine I must to play Stronhold and The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II

because don't play or remember fine

may be i will share the result now you must select some from this list to play other are very arcade like Caesar II but Caesar don't have enough to give to 0AD now, may be Campaing

but art or sounds, was my first contact with Ancient Rome.

Thank you so much...

The game maps Alpine Mountains and Gallic fields simulates a similar vibe, and I always enjoy playing on those maps. :) Early game is much more interesting, you don't just exploit nearby resources outside your range, there are risks and dangers in doing so, you don't just expand, you carefully plan it, and it is not only endemic to you, other players also experience the same challenges.

Planning a rush? Plan a safe path without neutrals that can harm your party.

Neutral camp near your base during early game? Use it to your advantage, it can serve as a defensive barrier.

• Like 1

The game maps Alpine Mountains and Gallic fields simulates a similar vibe, and I always enjoy playing on those maps. :) Early game is much more interesting, you don't just exploit nearby resources outside your range, there are risks and dangers in doing so, you don't just expand, you carefully plan it, and it is not only endemic to you, other players also experience the same challenges.

Planning a rush? Plan a safe path without neutrals that can harm your party.

Neutral camp near your base during early game? Use it to your advantage, it can serve as a defensive barrier.

The Mercenary camp is in Middle of Battle or Two of them, if the center is imposible to put or build, like the Lake Map.(Mediterranean type) obviusly.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Likewise, I never played AoE games before, but 0AD gave me a feeling of how the game feels :) I'm really rooting for this game, this is one of the best RTS games that I've played alongside the Stronghold Series.

now I dare to you to try, you must try is some primitive but simple and humble, very strategical. for example many player start in 0:aD to plant farms, is very bad idea.

if you play AoK you know how deal with hunt and with Cattle/sheeps etc.

A nice one to try is American Conquest: Fight Back. I think most features wouldn't fit in 0 A.D. but it gives a good insight in what realism does with an RTS. Since that's what it is: a Realistic RTS. It features resource consumption (units eat food, soldiers consume coal and iron to shoot), in-depth battle mechanics (scatter of fire, morale, formations, primary gun and secondary swords) and large-scale battles. Very fun to try.

42859_full.jpg

Praetorians is definetly a must try, here is a repack that's freely available: http://www.moddb.com/games/praetorians/downloads/praetorians-mods-complex-24

• Like 1

A nice one to try is American Conquest: Fight Back. I think most features wouldn't fit in 0 A.D. but it gives a good insight in what realism does with an RTS. Since that's what it is: a Realistic RTS. It features resource consumption (units eat food, soldiers consume coal and iron to shoot), in-depth battle mechanics (scatter of fire, morale, formations, primary gun and secondary swords) and large-scale battles. Very fun to try.

42859_full.jpg

Praetorians is definetly a must try, here is a repack that's freely available: http://www.moddb.com/games/praetorians/downloads/praetorians-mods-complex-24

two weapons, look like the grandfather of Aoe 3 and Imperial Total War. look sprite graphic must be older(?)

My own background is mostly

-AoE and AoK and AoM and AoE 3

-Rise of Nations

-Celtic Kings

-Warrior Kings

-Anno 1404

-Rome Total War

The two most interesting ones were Celtic Kings and Warrior Kings, which were huge commercial failures. But by far the most innovative RTS I've seen.

Celtic Kings had complex food supply and very big maps, and a very RPG-like unit training and everything. Overall it was a very "out there" RTS that did a lot of stuffs differently and would probably have been super cool with formations, but it didn't have formations; and combat sucked.

Warrior Kings also featured complex maintenance, RPG elements, and formations. It probably rocked, but I only ever played the demo. I believe it's the RTS closest to AOE that did formations the best, and it was a dramatic departure from AoE already.

Anno obviously featured a pretty great economic aspect. I'd call it too complex, and not city-buildy enough, but there are ideas there.

No real need to describe the others.

• Like 1

I played a few RTS long ago, as I don't have any Windows since my gaming experience is far from the main stream. Even if the concepts are not really innovatives.

My top, inspiring my changes on 0 A.D.:

Age of Empires II, Command & Conquer Generals. Both for simple mechanics, units countering without much much micro, battles being sending the right units at the right spot. AoE also for its historical background.

My top, but more counter-sample for my changes:

Annex: Conquer the World: a game on Megaglest engine, with a good sound-atmosphere and a simple counter-scheme and a lot of continuous battles full of micro (for me maybe a sibling of C&C Generals or Starcraft II in the free software world, but with much less quality and an annoying interface)

Zero-K: base upon Spring Engine (Total Anihilation inspired engine), an other game with continuous fight and a clear counter-scheme, with a big part of micro too.

Warcraft II: but more for the music, graphic style and background. Didn't liked my online games (rush for max pop knights or ogres and rush at ultra-unplayable-speed).

All of my top, except for Warcraft II, have this particularity: rather simple mechanics, a clear counter-scheme, fighting most of the time (I can't turtle, it stresses me, I need to go out). Either with instense full micro or a slower pace with more focus on positioning units (with a preference for the later).

Other relevant games:

Warzone 2100: very interesting campaign but still a big mess in multiplayer with way more time reading the doc than playing the game. Tried to make a mod to push away most of the complexity and focus on designing a proper army (but it was not played and I abandonned the game).

Battle Bugs: hey, I was quite young at that time, and commanding ants, pray-mantis and grasshoppers to conquer a slice of pizza was fun :)

Caesar III: a good real time building game (I don't remember if we could pause the game) with a lot of resources to manage to grow you city, but rather repetitive scheme and poor battle design.

Battle for Wesnoth, UFO Alien Invasion: TBS with few units, recruiting and positionning for the first, training a squad battle after battle with a lot of abilities for the second.

Other I didn't liked:

Warcraft III: I didn't catched the hero-focused game, they had too much importance in battles comparing to regular units to my liking. In short I wasn't playing how it should be played.

Starcraft I and II: I played a lot Starcraft I in campaign, but never understood how to play (which unit for what, ending up massing super units and a one-fight win-or-lose game). Played a bit of Starcraft II, too much micro, often only one decisive fight with too much speed to handle it for me. Otherwise they are good games :)

Megaglest: poor interface (shared with Annex), strange animations and graphic style, I never finished a game. If I played it I may have liked it, it has a good reputation.

Sudden Strike: too much things to handle everywhere, not really forgiving because it is hard to replace your losts.

Since I now can't play most of the well-known games (I played Starcraft II on a borrowed computer) or with a lot of pain to make them working (when possible) I can only study some aspects with videos or game reviews. I'm mostly sticking to games with at least a free game engine.

• Like 1