===[COMMITTED]=== Improved Fir Texture

Stan`

First part yes, though it would not look good I think due to the core nature of the trees, (they are planes), and for the shadows it's the same ←.

Hmm, can the leaves texture alpha in Blender or Max be taken into account when render ao map? I don't know. Maybe individual leafs may need to be transform into geometry (ao renering can only be done with geometry?).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

In my opinion this prop needs two things:

-more geometry in some variations (check the variation on the far right and far left, it's just weird)

-shadow painted in the texture

Why shadow painted in the texture? basically, all the "layers" of leaves added to the fir will have another layer on top of it, except obviously the top one, so every layer but the top one can benefit of some "manual painted AO" in there. With the white of the snow will be noticeable enough to look good. Noisy specular for the snow would also benefit the model, specially if there's going to be specularity

Hmm, can the leaves texture alpha in Blender or Max be taken into account when render ao map? I don't know. Maybe individual leafs may need to be transform into geometry (ao renering can only be done with geometry?).

Yes, AO is only casted by geometry, alpha planes cannot alter how the ao will be produced. So in this case painted AO in the texture is the way to go IMO