Improve unit stat visualization

wraitii

@wraitii:

So you would prefer an info section that displays contectual information dependent on selection (like a citizen soldier), mousover (like a resource) and the selected/mousover entities states (like attacking)?

That info area could be shown if needed and otherwise non-present to enlarge the overwiew of the game world's view(?)

Additionally an enceclopedia that can be accessed at the relevant page by a default button (like a questionmark) on many things.

Do I get this about right?

That would be nice.

Consider though that this will involve a huge number of possible combinations of entity type/entity type (and maybe even their states).

For each of those combinations there would need to be a seperate pool of information shown and thus the appropriate GUI elements layout.

Yes, this is basically my idea. I don't think we really need to remove it entirely to "show more of the map" though, our GUI isn't that big and screens are today, even on laptops.

I do agree that it's quite a bit of work, but we could determine 2/3 basic states for the beginning and try it out. We don't have to have contextual info for everything, but a few simple distinctions would help.

Consider champions that can't gather: there is literally no reason for their armor and attack stat to be hidden behind a tooltip.

The way I see it there are three things to consider to determine what info to show:

-What unit is selected. Some won't be able to attack, some have packing/unpacking, some trade...

-What action is being taken (ie where the cursor is). If its nothing in particular, what should we show as a default state? This probably depends most on the unit type (on a trader, show trade amount,..)

-What is happening around the unit selected. If the units are being attacked or if there are enemy around, it is probably worth showing attack/armor information by default. The question becomes trickier when you combine it with the cursor position: should we show gathering stats if a unit is being attacked but you hover over a resource? I'd say yes for consistency, and since you have the health bar already.

For the cases where you need a lot of info/comprehensive view of the unit, imo a button that pops up an overlay that shows everything cleanly (possibly taking a lot of place on-screen) can't be beat: it's faster than a tooltip, it's clearer since you have more room, it's consistent across all units...

Now what happens if you have 2 different units selected?

You could average the gathering rates ?

IMO there is no pertinent way to show information for a group of units. We should carry on doing what we do now: just show the selected units.

Another thing to consider is that the info area is lost for interaction with the player since it will change the moment the mousover changes.

So the player can only reach buttons there if the info area shows information about only the unit selected (cursor on info area).

That is true, but since the purpose of this GUI is to show information immediately without having to use a tooltip, I don't think it's really an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Attached is a mod that implements (to an extent) my "context-sensitive GUI" idea.

You'll find a few differences with SVN:

-Garrisoned units appear in a new panel on the top left part of the GUI (similar to the production queue), leaving more room.

-Commands are now in the left panel.

-The "raise alarm" icons are now commands

-The Middle area has been changed to feature the two most common armor types

-There is a new context-sensitive row in the middle

-The "identity" zone was made slightly bigger so you can see more of your unit badge.

Overall I think the system works rather well.

Obviously there are no tooltips yet, which would give more info, and I'd like to make it so that clicking on the unit icon opens a complete description (there's a ticket for that on Trac). But it will give you a feel of how it could work.

GUIMod.zip

• Like 1

I Dont like, is too much info, the icons are very confusing(i know we lack of them) but you need have clear one thing, this is very Semiotics are.

my area, for example you use an sword for melee attack and bow for ranged, my suggesting is using a same symbol, for describe an attack, dont care if is a bow, sling etc. attack is the attack represented by symbol. is like you use a standar symbol and you split them.

in all other games the Attack Symbol is a single, don't care the kind of unit.

lSApm65.png

the armor can be nice use icons like AoM specially the percentage. shield, body armor (Peto), and Helmet (EE have good references about these icons)

the middle icon even cant imagine whats is that.

the last must be range that is perfect, obviously need artistic work to improve

the Bars are very ugly or have that perception . the proportion is not the best. but must be the composition.

yCfbq0A.pngdKwL25J.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

I try mod. Interesting stuff, but the current UI was definite not design to show this stuff. You should redesign entire UI before you add this stuff. The garrisoned bar looks especially ugly (why add garrison bar when you have a whole blank panel?). Health bars and stuff now look ugly. Keep thin.

Also it would give you more space if you reduce number stance and formation. (eh hem)

• Like 1

Redesigned GUI is a must. In the screenshot that Lion showed, I agree that it needs better icons. The hack armor can be confusing (seems attack). Maybe a different shield with a attacking sword (hack armor) a shield with a attacking spear (pierce) and a stone could make it. Or like AOM an armor for hack, and shield for pierce. Dunno about crush.

For the numbers of arrows, maybe would be better three flying arrows.

Regarding attack icon, you could make the predominant one. Lion, you are not right about this, in Aom there are melee and crush symbols. In aoe 3 also, :P

Could someone make some screenshots

BTW I think that building menu should be a submenu. It covers a lot of space.

ok my mistake but will be improved when You chooose a symbol you make sure all user know what means, so AOE have a standard in this kind of games. Because communication is about have common, coo on what the meaning of a symbol, is like when you driving in another country the signals must be universal for a foreign. We need choose these symbols, that about semiotics is. Is pure communication without using words or speak.

• 3 years later...