One Small Suggestion.

Hey All,

I just started playing 0 AD and i really liked it, but i found something while playing which should be corrected soon,

So when i was playing as Mauryans in 0AD i found something which can be very offensive to many Hindu people which is use of the word Gosala for slaughter house which is totally wrong word to use, Gosala's are protective shelter for cows not slaughter houses and this can offend many hindu people, so please change this word with some other sanskrit word , you guys can use this site to find Sanskrit words - http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?tinput=slaughter-house&script=&direction=ES&link=yes, Ignore in case someone already posted this.

P.S - I'm not a religious person but i am posting this to help you guys as this might offend some people.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

ye i found some Sanskrit and Hindi words which can be used -

In Hindi -

1) Kasai Ghar - Kasai means Butcher and Ghar means house or Place.

2) Kasai Khana - Khana means house or place

3)boochar Khana- Boochar means Butcher

In Sanskrit -

1) Aghata - Place of execution.

2) AghAtana - Slaughter House

3) Vadha sthana - Vadha means Killing, Stana means Place.

4) Vadhgrha - Vadh means Killing, Grha means place.

• Like 1

Hi! Thanks for the suggestion. It's not currently possible to change the strings in the game because we froze the texts to prepare for the release of a new version of the game.

I looked into your suggestion. The problem is that the building is actually not a slaughterhouse, it's a corral. However, you're right about wanting to remove the religious meaning. So I propose to use "Gotra" (गोत्र) which according to the Monier-Williams is a "protection or shelter for cows, cow-pen, cow-shed, stable for cattle, stable (in general), hurdle, enclosure".

• Like 2

Those are modern words taken from Sanskrit. Gotra has several meanings in Sanskrit, one is the one I quoted above, another one in "family, clan". Ancient languages have a lot of those polysemic words, and the modern words derived from them use only out of all the meanings.

BTW: You can see the "Origins" sections of the very wiki page you just gave me.

i agree with you that Gotra is a polysemic word but in modern time everyone one uses gotra to describe clan, like think of it from a gamers point of view like someone who speaks Hindi or Sanskrit will immediately of it as a clan and not as goshala as Hindu people still use this word.

Edited by LuT

• 2 weeks later...