Textures: Imperial Roman Shields

wowgetoffyourcellphone

• 8 months later...
On 10/25/2015 at 7:53 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

not now... pleaseeeee XDXDDDDD

I have a Book full of them, but.... I want create them but in December?

I will show you.... wait a minute, I'm posting Reference Sources.

Any news on the shields patterns ?

On 25/10/2015 at 7:48 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Need references for Auxiliary and Legionary shield pattern.

Republican era

As of the end of the fifth century BC, with the abandonment of the line to the phalanx of Greek type, Hastati, Principes and Triari were equipped with a new type of shield whose form was replaced with a convex oval, whose dimensions were now two feet and a half wide and four in length.
The outer rim thickness could reach the palm. He said shield was, for the most part formed by wooden planks, held together with glue (obviously of organic origin).
The outer surface was then covered with a layer of linen fabric before and, finally, over another of calf leather.
The edges were reinforced by iron sheet, which made it more resistant to the sword, and allow the rest on the ground without injury.
The center fielder was finally applied a shield boss in the stone blows protection, spear and all objects capable of striking the legionnaire.
Towards the middle of the first century BC He became more rectangular and curved as a result of the defeat by the Parthians.

On the contrary, the light infantry (before Leves and then of Velites) continued to adopt the typical round shield, three feet in diameter, used always in every period by the auxiliary troops.

Each legion customized shields to make it easier reordering of the troops.
I think, in logic, which for the same reason also the cohorts had some reference.
Unfortunately they remained a few examples certain.

Here are three examples:

legio_III_Italica.jpg

armamentarium.jpg

caesarclaudiusScutum.JPG

If you want me to look for another, I read in a few hours.
Greetings and good work.
Edited by Garaf

@stanislas69 Sorry, you are right, I don't see "Delenda Est".
then I seek you for cohors peditata from Augustus.

@Thorfinn the Shallow Minded Some Roman shields were of the Sunni branch, here the specific to the Samnites. The last is the Legio IX Hispana (late republic early Empire)

I will edit this post with what I find before going to bed.

Meanwhile, an explanation in the high Empire (I and II sec. AD) the military was far more equipped with paraphernalia, in the following period, the pressure on the border were forced to make the preparation of the legions faster and they resented the supplies, and then from the third century greatly changed the image of the legionary

Legio_I_secAD.JPG

Standard equipment of the Roman legionary top-imperial age (I sec.).

Centurion_LegioXXX_IIsecAD.jpg

Reconstruction of a centurion of the beginning of the second century of Legio XXX Ulpia Traiana Victrix. Wearing lorica hamata with phalerae, humeralis and pteruges, Imperial Gallic crested helmet, greaves and cingulum. It is armed with a sword and pugio and holds in a big medallion ovaliforme right hand.

Optio_and_Legionari.jpg

Legionnaires column on two files and guided by a optio left and a cornicen right. The first wears: Lorica hamata with humeralis and pteruges; Weisenau helmet and a balteus they hang a sword and a pugio; a stick in his right hand, in her left a concave rectangular shield. On the right the cornicen wearing a lorica segmented over a red tunic officer bearskin helmet and imperial form.

Continue ...

Edited by Garaf

13 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The idea is this..

5ubRefd.jpg

Below are the designs of some shields depicted on Trajan's Column in Rome: the first two are the Cavalry, the third and fourth of the auxiliary infantry and all the others, those rectangular, the Legions.

cavalleria1.gifcavalleria2.gifFant_ausil_1.gifFant_ausil_2.giflegio1.giflegio2.giflegio3.giflegio4.gif

Edited by Garaf

I have found, I hope, the best source for the data from the second century. A.D. it is the "Notitia Dignitatum" if you search with Google the phrase and steps in the images are different lists of the era representations were then rewritten in medieval times.

@niektb I do not think that Constantine or medieval monks we are trying

And with that ... goodnight to everyone.

I'm not sure, these shields look from Fourth-Five century

The Notitia Dignitatum (Latin for "The List of Offices") is a document of the late Roman Empire that details the administrative organization of the Eastern and Western Empires. It is unique as one of very few surviving documents of Roman government and describes several thousand offices from the imperial court down to the provincial level, diplomatic missions and army units. It is usually considered to be up to date for the Western Roman Empire in the 420s

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

I'm downloading to control high definition images of Trajan's Column, the attached drawings above have less detail than the bas-reliefs, if you want, I crop the images of shields and try to overlap one of my drawings.
I do not know how long it takes me to do everything ...
:unsure:
  • Like 1

I finished now the first shield, attaching also the SVG file with the layers and the image of origin from the column ... I had to download inkscape, because other programs that use currently were not suited, I hope you enjoy it.
Let me know if there are steps / resolutions / formats to be respected.

scutum1piccolo.png         scutum1.png                         scutum1.svg

See you soon

Edited by Garaf
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

so you are graphic designer?  @Garaf

No, I use a little 'of programs, some for work, others for passion, for some years I built boats are then passed to the restructuring of houses, with the crisis, years ago, I switched to the maintenance of the green and I do a little' recovery of the territory, these type:

a024.jpg

• Like 1