Finishing the Seleucid Faction ideas

Phalanx

But must be in :P stay in modding forum hehe, not here, I supposed to be in that way. but no problem may be if is required in the future.

SeleucidKing , what unit you want to mod, I can show you how modding, but a difference of other modder I like take screen shows ;).

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

But must be in :P stay in modding forum hehe, not here, I supposed to be in that way. but no problem may be if is required in the future.

SeleucidKing , what unit you want to mod, I can show you how modding, but a difference of other modder I like take screen shows ;).

Well, the intention here as far as I understand it is to provide something which can go in the actual game and not necessarily a mod, so in that case it belongs here ;) Or possibly in the development forum. Either way that's not a big deal as the topic can be moved, my main point is just that this thread can be used so there aren't two threads about the same thing :)

• Like 1

Well, the intention here as far as I understand it is to provide something which can go in the actual game and not necessarily a mod, so in that case it belongs here ;) Or possibly in the development forum. Either way that's not a big deal as the topic can be moved, my main point is just that this thread can be used so there aren't two threads about the same thing :)

Yeah, I am trying to suggest changes that would actually be in the game. We've reached a common consensus that the cataphract model needs to be updated, and I have come up with a garb that matches history and the faction's page, I just need someone to either make it, or help me make it. We habe also decided that the chariot needs to ne updated as well, and I have proposed a more Greek replacement for the Median cav. I meant this topic to actually help the developers finish the Seleucids.

• Like 1

In this case though, everything has already been made on an artistic pov :) So it's 'just' XML editing. What you could do :

Look at all the sele models in atlas, and tell me for each of them which armor, helmet, shields, and weapons should be used.

e.g sele infantry : mace_archer_a helmet spart_infantry_melee_armor mace_hypapsit shield, spear ...

• Like 1

With proper historical backup I guess yes :)

What would count as "proper" it is said (on Wikipedia and other sources) that the Seleucids used hellenistic merc cav. The Tarantine cavalry from Tarentum were famous cav mercs and where used by all greek and hellenistic factions sans the Ptolemaics. I think it would just diversify and hellinize the Seleucids more, instead of using an exact copy of a persian unit. While the Seleucids did use Median cav, Tarantine cav would make it more diverse.

• Like 1

What would count as "proper" it is said (on Wikipedia and other sources) that the Seleucids used hellenistic merc cav. The Tarantine cavalry from Tarentum were famous cav mercs and where used by all greek and hellenistic factions sans the Ptolemaics. I think it would just diversify and hellinize the Seleucids more, instead of using an exact copy of a persian unit. While the Seleucids did use Median cav, Tarantine cav would make it more diverse.

If Tarentines are mercenary, then add them as mercenary. Median Cavalry can be their regular javelin cavalry. ;)

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

Hey, quick question: as wowgetoffyourcellphone stated, is it possible to give it a two handed animation? Or is that too much work?

Edit: and armor on the horse? Sorry for leaving out that detail.

Unfortunately I'm not good enough to make human animations. You can see examples of my failures on this forum. About armor, do you see any currently in the game I could use ? :)

Edited by stanislas69

Unfortunately I'm not good enough to make human animations. You can see examples of my failures on this forum. About armor, do you see any currently in the game I could use ? :)

Well, for the animation/modeling, all that would be needed is to elongate the spear (possibly use a pike prop), make a resting animation for the human of the spear resting on the shoulder, and for attacking, it might be possible to cobble the torso animation from a pikeman attack, with the leg position of the horse riding. As for the armour, I'm sorry, I don't know. I'll get back to you on that, if there is any.

Edited by SeleucidKing

After the cataphract is finished, the next undertaking will be updating the chariot. Then, we might consider the possibility of adding the Tarantine cavalry to the military colony, as a heavier ranged cav, truly making the Seleucids an "excellent cav" faction, as the faction's description page suggests.

I could make one armor texture if needed though I'd like to avoid that if possible ^^

About the anims... Comparison

SlS5cVV.png

Interesting threads

http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20053

http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19289

I'm trying to make it compatible with old armature.

http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20071

Someone started making new anims, but left ;(

http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19546

• Like 1

Well, for the animation/modeling, all that would be needed is to elongate the spear (possibly use a pike prop), make a resting animation for the human of the spear resting on the shoulder, and for attacking, it might be possible to cobble the torso animation from a pikeman attack, with the leg position of the horse riding. As for the armour, I'm sorry, I don't know. I'll get back to you on that, if there is any.

Carthaginian champion cav has the beginning of the horse armour. The chamfron would also be useful (the plumed cav helmet)