In some latest commit and on Trac (here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3524 ) it is claim that Windows button order is 'No' on left and 'Yes' on right, ("The convention is to have "No" on the left-hand-side as in windows." - Trac). This is incorrect, I wonder how such mistake can be made. It make it awkward in the game.

Almost every Window dialog I have seen (and I just check right now) is:

[ Yes ] [ No ] [ Cancel ]

Positive action on left, negative action on right look like Windows standard. 0 A.D. is opposite of this for some reason.

How can it be claim that it is not this way? Counter example would be good tho. Not attack, just wonder. I can be wrong. Maybe there is some other justification.

post-16580-0-19041500-1445115244_thumb.p

post-16580-0-77410700-1445115244_thumb.p

post-16580-0-23920300-1445115245_thumb.p

post-16580-0-17714200-1445115688_thumb.p

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

The intention of the last changes (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3524) was to not confirm the dialog when hitting escape. Hitting escape means clicking the first button. I don't mind about the actual order of buttons as long as we don't unintentionally quit the server, delete savegames, replays or units by pushing escape. There have been some back&forths (see the linked tickets in the linked ticket).

The intention of the last changes (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3524) was to not confirm the dialog when hitting escape. Hitting escape means clicking the first button. I don't mind about the actual order of buttons as long as we don't unintentionally quit the server, delete savegames, replays or units by pushing escape. There have been some back&forths (see the linked tickets in the linked ticket).

Cannot make fantom button as first button that equal to cancel? Actual order of buttons equates to end-user experience based upon expectation. it is odd that thousand of other application can make this work but 0 A.D. cannot.

Anyway, my main thing was that the comment in the ticket was saying that Windows standard was 'No' on left, which is untrue. It stuck in the face as wrong.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

The problem is that the Windows order is the opposite from most Linux window managers and GUIs. So there is no "canonical" order as you seem to believe.

We chose the "Esc <-> first button" behavior because it's easier to program (this choice works with any number of buttons without changing the code) and now we're trying to be consistent everywhere.

EDIT: There is a mistake in the ticket description though, you are right about that.

I don't know how buttons are coded in 0 A.D., just to say that in Android you have placeholders for "Ok", "Cancel" and "Other" buttons (they are not named like that), which are then layed out by the window manager. That way Esc is always bound to the cancel one (which does nothing) no matter where it is and this one is also focused by default.

This works well because there are very few cases with more than 3 buttons for a question but it is flawed when you need to have 4 buttons. In that case you have to handle them at hand.

I kind of like this way of abstraction, but it ads a new layer in the code which, if not already there, implies working on it :)

• 4 weeks later...

In some latest commit and on Trac (here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3524 ) it is claim that Windows button order is 'No' on left and 'Yes' on right, ("The convention is to have "No" on the left-hand-side as in windows." - Trac). This is incorrect, I wonder how such mistake can be made. It make it awkward in the game.

Almost every Window dialog I have seen (and I just check right now) is:

[ Yes ] [ No ] [ Cancel ]

The ticket description was errant, but the end result was 100% intentional. Indeed in a previous ticket, I was going to make all the buttons follow Windows order (the choice is ultimately arbitrary, consistency is all that matters), but when I looked into it, fewer in-game UIs by far were using Windows order. The order was inconsistent for quite some time and people get used to it. So the least disruptive change was to swap the few, and that's what we've been doing. The Esc hotkey functionality is a secondary issue defined by button order, not vice-versa.