Imperial Romans

wowgetoffyourcellphone

I am start to make Imperial Romans for my mod. I envision them as a civ that break the 0 A.D. rules a little bit, by making citizens and soldiers completely separate. This is becaue the Romans had a true professional standing army. I also think of calling them Romans (Principate) instead of Romans (Imperial), because later we want to add the Dominate-era Romans (Eastern, Late). So, in the end we'd have the 3 major era of Roman history, each unique from each other:

• Romans (Republicans)
  • Romans (Principates)
  • Romans (Dominates)

For the unit distinction, I come up with 3 options:

Option 1: "Hybrid" 0 A.D./Norse in Age of Mythology

Citizens (can be male or female randomly)

"Cives"

Gather resources, build civic/economic buildings.

Soldiers

"Milites"

Fight, build military buildings.

Option 2: "Classic RTS"

"Cives"

Gather resources, build all buildings.

Soldiers

"Milites"

Fight.

They could be oddity in the game by making them like the classic Age of Empires civs with all soldiers being "champions" (do not gather or build) and having traditional "villagers." The one civ to be just like AOE.

Option 3: "Radical Departure"

Slaves (can be male or female randomly)

"Servi"

Gather resources.

"Cives"
Build buildings, empower Slaves to gather faster.

Soldiers

"Milites"

Fight.

I like this one a lot. Intrigue me as direction.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Civ Bonuses

Testudo: Like for the Republican Romans.

Imperial Superpower: Imperial Phase give +50% civic center radius instead of the usual +25% radius increase.

Anything else?

Team Bonus

Client-States: Don't know what this would do yet. Suggestions? Maybe ally Civic Centers reduced cost and build time. Or ally Civic Centers +20% capture resistance?

Special Buildings

Army Camp: As with Republican Romans.

Siege Walls: As with Republican Romans.

Triumphal Arch: Some kind of attack boost aura or maybe link these with phase techs.

Insula: This replaces the House for Principate Romans. It is much bigger than a house and gives 25 pop. Costs twice as much.

Wonder

Circus Maximus or Flavian Amphitheater (Colosseum)

Need idea for Special Technologies and technologies. Also what people think of 3 options. I have unit roster in mind already (I think), but that can be discuss.

Maybe 2 type of barracks. 1 for legionnaires troop and 1 for auxiliaries. Or barracks train legion troops and all auxiliaries train from the mercenary camps I have already implement.

I am not sure about slavery in a RTS, because it is at some point political and every game has at some kind a message. So making slaves the better or only workers would be wrong for me. They should have some important cons. Maybe they could die after some time of working (because of working to hard) or they could start rioting, when the slaves/worker/soldier balance is wrong. This would add a massive strategic layer, too.

I am not sure about slavery in a RTS, because it is at some point political and every game has at some kind a message. So making slaves the better or only workers would be wrong for me. They should have some important cons. Maybe they could die after some time of working (because of working to hard) or they could start rioting, when the slaves/worker/soldier balance is wrong. This would add a massive strategic layer, too.

The Servi could have diminishing health, yes is what I was thinking too. I am not too worry about "political" implication in my mod.

Might be interesting to read http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18525

Also I think you could use that subforum for your mod http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showforum=438

Here is good info too from Design document: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Romans_Imperial

I mess around with Option 3, and althoug it is intriguing direction I think it differ too much from "standard" 0 A.D. practice. I'll try Option 1 (AOM Norse) now. I let those with the download link to Delenda Est try the option 3 Principate Romans before I commit Option 1. Maybe some can convince me to stick with "Radical Departure" option 3 instead.

Okay, so tech idea:

{					"Name": "Brick-Faced Concrete",					"History": ".",					"Description": "Structures -20% cost."				},				{					"Name": "Architecture",					"History": ".",					"Description": "Use of the arch and other techniques increases structure health +15%."				},				{					"Name": "Aqueducts",					"History": ".",					"Description": "All organic (non-mechanical) units +10 health."				},				{					"Name": "Hadrian's Wall",					"History": ".",					"Description": "Upgrade Siege Walls to Stone Walls, with shooting towers and double health."				},				{					"Name": "Wild Ass",					"History": ".",					"Description": "Onager catapults +20% attack and range, but also -25% health."				}

My hero are:

• Octavian Augustus
  • Titus Flavius Augustus
  • Trajan Augustus

Other possibles were:

• Hadrian Augustus
  • Agricola
  • Marcus Agrippa
  • Marcus Aurelius
  • Aurelian Augustus

Keep in mind these Romans are of the principate era, where the Emperor was the princeps, or 'First Citizen,' and "Republican" ideals were still pretended.

Later, with accession of Diocletian in AD 284, the emperor was starting to be called dominus, or 'Lord,' a more Eastern tradition. Those Romans would have their own faction.

I would like to make it so that a new Triumphal Arch must be build to unlock each Phase tech. I want the EntityLimit for the Arch to be 1, and then increase by 1 for each Phase (so that another arch can be built to unlock next phase; subsequent phase require 1 additional Arch to unlock - 1, 2, 3).

In Player.xml, I can set EntityLimit like this under <Limits> list:

<Arch>1</Arch>

Can I use <RequiredTechs> as a LimitChanger? I see it done under LimitRemovers, but can it be done under LimitChanger? I could hack around this my just making 3 different Arch buildings, but it would be more elegant to have it done with 1 Arch building entity so that there are not 3 Arch building buttons in the UI.

• Like 1

Sj82MWa.png

Okay, so I make it that player must build an Arch to advance to Town Phase and another Arch to advance to City Phase. Arch has different cost for each phase, so Town Phase and City phase cost nothing, their cost replaced by cost of Arch. Build Wonder (hopefully the Amphitheatrum Flavium, or Colosseum) to advance to City Phase.

Sometime I like to make a "Frontier Outpost" upgrade to Outpost that make actor like this ->

1M6LVXo.jpg

Principate Romans have 2 barracks: Legionary Barracks (Village Phase) and Auxiliary Barracks (Town Phase). Their Soldiers can fight and build military and defensive builing. Their citizens, or Plebeians, can gather resources and building civic and economy buildings. The Slave, or Servus, can be bought from the Market and is good at mining and dying (he or she cost Metal but no population room).

Yeah that helmet is a piece of art. Ask to Stanislas or... We can wait for Miket.

I have some reference ( shields desings) from a recent book Legions of Rome from Stephen Dando-Collins : the definitive history of every Imperial Roman Legion. ISBN 978-1-250-00471-0 First U.S. Edition.

Orv34pO.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

That look like a fantastic book Lion. I think it would be verry neat if the game had a battalion system and the Roman legions could be represente accurately like this, with same shield for each battalion/legion and legion named properly in UI.

• Like 1

That look like a fantastic book Lion. I think it would be verry neat if the game had a battalion system and the Roman legions could be represente accurately like this, with same shield for each battalion/legion and legion named properly in UI.

if you want request something... I will try to make some time to your mod.

I might make you helmet Wow if you want. As I said might be nice you use the rome forum and create the tasks on separate thread like for the main game :

Like (ModName) [type of product] Thing name

I thought that Rome mod was a separate mod. This is a new civ for Delenda Est.

I have more civ in plan too. ;)