9 New Randomly Generated Maps

_kali

Hi all,

I put together 9 new randomly generated maps for 0ad.

Download: _kali_maps.zip

If you're a dev and want to include these in the next release, please feel free. I don't know how to take those map preview screenshots, so if someone can do that too, that would be amazing.

Here's a quick overview of the maps:

New Playing Style: Stronghold

With this playing style, teammates start with civ centers in close proximity. It enforces team play and cooperation from the early stages of the game. Depending on build order and playing styles, it might also make for more epic battles as team's concentrate all their firepower on a heavily fortified allied compound.

Stronghold

This map has 4 variations, picked at random:

- a central impassable plateau

- a central hill with mineral resources

- a central lake

- a hilly terrain with less wood

The map is very similar to "Mainland", but uses the Stronghold playing style mentioned above.

rMrxqVO.jpg

Island Stronghold

- naval map where all allies start on the same island

This map is very similar to "Islands"

F4w3f8l.jpg

Team Positioned Maps

In these maps, players are positioned on a team basis

Hell's Pass

- large mountains funnel units through narrow passages

- teams are positioned in a vertical line, with the front-line defenders having access to few resources

- teammates in the back have a bounty of resources available, but are also vulnerable to sneak attacks from narrow passages

F4ZpvqU.jpg

Outpost

- 1 member from each team starts in a wood-rich lowland

- a ring of high ground surround the lowlands, making the wood vulnerable to attacks from above

- all other team members start in a sparse ring of high ground, with some mineral deposits

- teams must work together to share resources and support the exposed teammate, or retreat to higher ground

aX87pbs.jpg

Traditional Maps

Harbor

- large mountainous spines protect each player's harbor

- large numbers of fish await outside of the protection of the harbor

- narrow gaps in the spines allow for some ground assaults

- players must choose to attack from the land or the sea, but probably will not have enough resources to do both

fiTfg77.jpg

Lion's Den

- similar to "Canyon", but the middle is a series of protected expansion sites

fxKdbFP.jpg

Outward Bound

- most maps try to bring the players to the middle to fight over resources, on this map, players start with few resources on a shared plateau

- most of the resources on the map sit on a lowland ring around the edge

- players must decide to move their base, or continue to fortify their original, less defensible position

lPzdtSV.jpg

Ring

- a series of high / low ground circles around a dual-layered mountain rich with resources

- brings interesting high/low ground battle tactics into play at each point on the map

swC8Uul.jpg

Safe House

- strong Carthage walls divide the players, making early rush attempts impossible

- allies and enemies alike must decide when and where to break through the neutral walls

J7F236a.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

_kali

• Like 9

ah wow these look awesome! A map preview shot is usually done in atlas, where the map is generated then the unrestricted camera can be used to zoom out to where the entire map can be seen.

These team maps in particular look like they could be a lot of fun

Hi _kali and welcome to the forum.

Nicely done maps indeed ;)

On the map Lion's Den you may want to use two different similar textures for the rock parts.

That way you can avoid regular recurrences of structures like the cracks.

Keep up the nice work (y)

ah wow these look awesome! A map preview shot is usually done in atlas, where the map is generated then the unrestricted camera can be used to zoom out to where the entire map can be seen.

You could do that in-game as well, by disabling Restrict Camera in the developer overlay (Alt+D), and you could hide the GUI with Alt+G. Atlas is probably more convenient though :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I took a look at most maps and I like them.

As niektb said in the according ticket http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3455, it would be good if some of them had more variety. For example different ground textures, some animals, seas, hills and other terrain differences. There are also non-gatherable stones and flora.

Also on some maps, some players have no resources.

Gameplaywise they are very interesting and offer never-seen-before situations. Especially since they are random-map-scripts it would be nice to have them in the game, as this map type is by far the most frequently played one.

Would you have some time to address some of these issues?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. Thanks for all of the positive feedback!

I saw that there's an open ticket here to get them into A20: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3455

These maps do need some help, especially on the visual side. Also, the JavaScript works, but could be refactored in some places for ease of maintenance and to make it easier to create new variations from these maps. I might be at my limit in visual & coding skills, but if someone is able to jump into these maps and tweak them, it would be awesome to see them in A20. These are for the community, so feel free to modify them as you see fit.

If there's only a limited amount of time, here's what I would suggest based on playing these a bunch:

1. The stronghold maps - This is a super fun gameplay style. Right now, players are emulating this in nomad by building their civs close to each other, but these maps allow for that, but with balanced starting positions and resources. It would be amazing to see these in A20 :)
  2. Hell's pass - This one is really fun because the player most exposed has the fewest resources. It requires a lot of team strategy and coordination, with the terrain forcing massive, epic battles between the teams.
  3. Harbor - This one makes for interesting gameplay because it offers up legitimate naval and land strategies, but likely not enough resources to do both.
  4. Outward Bound - This one's cool because it's the inverse of most maps that have resources between the players. Players have to be extra careful about expanding because it often comes at the expense of leaving the main base exposed.
  5. Ring, Safehouse & Lion's Den - These ones are fun too but might need the most work in terms of design and gameplay balance
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I see that Flood wasn't mentioned before in this thread so one might not know what it looks like. Therefore I include the big version of the map preview:

Spoiler

screenshot0160.thumb.png.cccde19a7832e0b

This map is a variation on Migration. Now what's so special about this map, you might think. I'll explain: the water is accessible by both units and ships. Also the center island features a dense and interesting terrain, guaranteeing intense battles.

• Like 3