WIP Cinematic camera

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to improve cinematic camera code. I think the adding cutscenes in scenarios maps makes them more exciting.

After trompetin17 AtlasUI2 merging, you can find patch with UI tool at #3301.

Cutscene starts when path has added to playlist from map triggers, and after every path end triggers are receiving an event: which path was ended.

I want to share with you for some results.

Example of camera movement:

And camera path for that:

VPi9y6c.jpg?2

UPDATE0

Camera movement with target movement:

Edited by vladislavbelov
  • Like 18

Cool! It would be nice to have a mode where the camera rotation will interpolate along the path, too, rather than having to hardcode all the rotations. It could point tangentially along the path or whatever looks best. Does that make sense? Maybe it's too much for the first version of the patch.

I have implemented mode, where camera look at target, which is moving by self path.

In xml it looks like:

<Node time="4.0">	<Position x="467.20" y="40.87" z="887.26"/>	<Target x="30" y="-45" z="0"/></Node>

Instead of rotation. And target path is interpolated too. But the old way to rotate camera is on video.

Edited by vladislavbelov
  • Like 2

Awesome! I don't think I have seen anybody make use of a cinematic camera in 0 A.D. in nearly 10 years. Way to go! Just out of curiosity - were you able to salvage any of the old code?

A lot of code is overwritten only in CinemaManager, and just small fixes are in math splines. So yes, there is old code, which works. But you will can to see code later.

Edited by vladislavbelov

A lot of code is overwritten only in CinemaManager, and just small fixes are in math splines. So yes, there is old code, which works. But you will can to see code later.

Cool. Fun factoid from the past - this is the last video I can remember that was made using the cinematic camera:

I think it is the has the highest number of views of any 0 A.D. video because it was on slashdot.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/07/15/170217/0-ad-goes-open-source

It would be cool to get a nifty video using this for the next alpha release. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* ;)

• Like 3

I clicked on the link and realised, that it brought me to a thread I created myself. :lol2: Time flies so fast ...

Ha, yes - it does! Christoph - I honestly can't believe some of the stuff that you programmed at such a young age. That was very impressive. If I recall, you did work on the run/stamina as well as auras. I'm not sure if either of those features have been fully reimplemented to the degree of their prior maturity since the rewrite.

• 2 years later...

There were introduces some major and useful things for cinematics. I'll fill a wiki page on http://trac.wildfiregames.com.

Changes:

• Atlas add/remove paths
  • Atlas change position of each node of each path (by mouse)
  • Removed OOS for multiplayer games and non-visual replays
  • Added more detailed javascript (triggers) support

Planned changes:

• Change path/node duration in atlas
  • New methods for javascript
  • More detailed info about each path
  • Path preview, what camera sees in a time position by slider or separated window without game starting
  • Fix current issues with scaling. simulation speed
  • Atlas path adding without javascript (triggers)
  • Like 2