Where are the players?

Totombo

Lately multiplayer room is almost empty, I think this game lacks the hook or lure to attract players.

Today other games that have many players, they have a system of levels, ranking objects to get ... something that encourages you to play more and more.

I think in my opinion that 0AD lacks the ranking system between players where each must strive to learn and improve to be a good player.

I would like to see more room filled with lots of multiplayer online games.

He's in the Alpha 18 lobby, though not for more than 30 seconds most of the time. Also mostly quite early during the day when there's less activity.

Staying in the lobby instead of joining, seeing no game waiting for players and leaving might help.

• Like 1

Like Leper said: Most people in europe are at work during the day " so less activity " then at night properly. And maybe because the witcher 3 is just released people that play 0.A.D are now playing the witcher :D.

But a ranking system like COH with bonuses of some short might help players to invest more time in the game and have a goal to play different games/modes for there avatar and then it would be nice to have some UI changes for the player to make there own style of General with maybe some realistic perks. Hmm darn that would be Awesome...

That would for sure atract more players and give's them a reason to keep playing "because when they dont have someting to play for most people stop playing after some time" and that we dont want right!:P

But a ranking system like COH with bonuses of some short might help players to invest more time in the game and have a goal to play different games/modes for there avatar and then it would be nice to have some UI changes for the player to make there own style of General with maybe some realistic perks. Hmm darn that would be Awesome...

that's exactly what we want the players, a system as in many other games, which encourage even without playing a match, you play to get awards or the player levels up or improve your rank.
I've been playing strategy games, from AOE1, that is a long time, and I've seen other games have lost all their players for lack of these systems. Remarked that it is only my opinion.
Furthermore, the lag know that unhappy players but we have no doubt it will be solved.
Sorry for my English.
eso es exactamente lo que buscamos los jugadores, un sistema como en muchos otros juegos, que aunque no tengas animo de jugar una partida, la juegas por conseguir premios o para que el jugador suba niveles o mejore su rank.
Yo llevo jugando a juegos de estrategia, desde AOE1, es decir mucho tiempo, y he visto como otros juegos han perdido todos sus jugadores por no disponer de estos sistemas. Remarco que es solamente mi opinion.
Por otro lugar, el lag sabemos que descontenta a los jugadores pero no tenemos ninguna duda que será solucionado.
Perdon por mi ingles.

I very disagree on having bonus or unlockable content with ranking. Ranking system it's done and was working on first multiplayer version, but I think that was closed cause the game it's on alpha (right?)

There a lot of factors making a game losing popularity... look on starcraft 1 or age of empires 2, none of them have unlockeable content and are still played. BTW I have nothing against trophies or cosmetic content.

• Like 1

If there's any unlockable content, it should be for the singleplayer IMO (via a campaign). To give some sort of mission for players who prefer to play alone.

Multiplayer should have all content unlocked from the start, as the mission is to get the highest ranking (without that ranking influencing other stuff).

• Like 2

Rating was disabled because the rating code caused a slowdown of the bot itself once there were some users (~25) in the lobby, which impacted matchmaking itself. Unless that is fixed (patches welcome, guidance offered) ratings stay disabled.

• Like 1

There a lot of factors making a game losing popularity... look on starcraft 1 or age of empires 2, none of them have unlockeable content and are still played. BTW I have nothing against trophies or cosmetic content.

We are talking about very different eras for games before the players we wanted to just play against our friends, such as Warcraft and AOE. But as before the ranking system that was developed in aoe2 "zone" and then unlock system objects and rising levels aoe3, CoH and others.
And if I speak of the content cosmetics, today's players appreciate it so much they pay with real money for special aspects in units, avatars, heroes, see Dota HoN ...
The classification is something simple that moves and motivates much to the players.
To this day these little things that move us to play.
Edited by Totombo

It's quite normal for a game in (laggy) alpha stage not to have a huge multiplayer community. On top of that we're not in the golden age of RTS anymore, and like others have said when you log in plays a part too.

I'll strongly agree with av and sanderd on keeping the multiplayer free of buffs and extras that affect gameplay. It's unfair and a recipe for disaster, as AOEO proved (AOE III did it in moderation and was less of a failure, still AOM and especially AOK hold better despite their years). Ranking without buffs is fine ofc, cosmetic trophies and single player content could work as well, thankfully due to the game's direction not as freemium nonsense:p.

• Like 4

The lag is the real and principal problem, thats the real reason why people leave the game , without a fluid game the rankeds would not be fair.

The new pathfinder is in Development , the biggest optimization issue/task to solve is that.

Here a list of game performance Task

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GamePerformance

Here the technical topic

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16991

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

The new pathfinder is in Development , the biggest optimization issue/task to solve is that.

Here a list of game performance Task

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GamePerformance

Here the technical topic

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16991

Cuando podremos hablar de un juego sin lagg mas o menos, segun veo es dos años la anterior mejora pero este retoque cuanto necesita? :3

Cuando podremos hablar de un juego sin lagg mas o menos, segun veo es dos años la anterior mejora pero este retoque cuanto necesita? :3

3 alfas no estoy segura pero Itms está trabajando en ello/ 3 alphas To get the new path finder if someone else can check(corroborate) this, mi not sure how Itms is dealing with this huge task

Personally I dont like to register for playing via lobby (anonymous access possible in the future). I use the IP address to connect with my friends to play 0.A.D.

Hopefully more performance patches are in soon. I play mostly only one game, because it take very long while stuttering every few seconds for 1 second in late game (>= 100 unity/team).

Edited by raymond
  • Like 1

Personally I dont like to register for playing via lobby (anonymous access possible in the future). I use the IP address to connect with my friends to play 0.A.D.

Hopefully more performance patches are in soon. I play mostly only one game, because it take very long while stuttering every few seconds for 1 second in late game (>= 100 unity/team).

I like the idea , this way for newcomer can play without be tagged as "noobs" or casual ( rare) player can try the lobby without tagged as bad player or noob, even for tester can test the game with real player without show himself as tester some times is useful for players like me because in online the players do it very different than the bots when I'm testing features, not all knows the full list of commands or exploits the unbalances, many times when I lost was the ability of others to have very strong strategy vs the ability to exploit little unbalances ( the other was made by masters/ very experienced players) but is a good for learning without be tagged. the other case when you have people that you don't like because you have own opinion, or you say something about their gameplay.... There a lot a situation I think.

How would you be able to chat if you can't have a nickname? The login is already quite anonymous. We don't ask your email, or any other verification. You must just choose a nickname and a password (so others can't use your nickname).

• Like 1

I like the idea , this way for newcomer can play without be tagged as "noobs" or casual ( rare) player can try the lobby without tagged as bad player or noob, even for tester can test the game with real player without show himself as tester some times is useful for players like me because in online the players do it very different than the bots when I'm testing features, not all knows the full list of commands or exploits the unbalances, many times when I lost was the ability of others to have very strong strategy vs the ability to exploit little unbalances ( the other was made by masters/ very experienced players) but is a good for learning without be tagged. the other case when you have people that you don't like because you have own opinion, or you say something about their gameplay.... There a lot a situation I think.

My english is not great but i try to understand what you are saying.

What do you mean with players being tagged? And for players that use bug/unbalance exploits yes its annoying but then when starting a match you sould set rules "I think a host sould have options to set up a game like they want" and if the player dont respect the rules KICK :P.

But i dont understand the problem to create a ingame account to play online its also against cheaters and if the ranking ever come's back then there would be a option to play ranked or none ranked matches

And what would be the advantage of automated nicknames? More spam? More sockpuppets?

advantages:

- user, like me, who wants not to registrate use/some times use the lobby

- chat to another player using the automated genereated nicknames

disadvantages:

- programming that feature

spam:

- anonymous user should limited in writing to prevent spam (message count per minute, message text limit like 100 chars per message)

- or maybe: not able to post to public lobby only to user directly

Edited by raymond