Ruining a game

av93

There is no good way to have a pause, Period. Every way you think of can and will be exploited.
Dota 2 has it better than most games, but it has 10 people in a game (mostly) So it works for how many people it has.

Maybe if you cant unpause someone elses pause (unless same team?) until 30 seconds has passed? that way you at least get.. some amount of time to fap Do whatever it is you need to do, and you cant pause forever and piss others off.

Edited by auron2401
  • Like 1

My idea:

Two "requests" of pause available: one of 5min max and other of 10min max.

When a player requests to pause, there should be a small pop-up for each player to accept or decline the pause request (with a timer of 1 or 2 mins to vote). The game is paused when at least one player of each team in the match agrees the request (if theres a 1vs1vs1 all players should accept)

While on pause, there's a window where you can click a checkbox if you're ready to unpause the game and see if the rest of players are ready (plus a small portion of the window for a chat). All players must accept to resume and the game is resumed after a 5 sec countdown.

After you have requested a pause, you can't request another if it has been declined in the next 5 minutes. And you can't request a pause after 10-15 mins if it has been accepted (counting sice the resume)

• Like 2

My idea:

Two "requests" of pause available: one of 5min max and other of 10min max.

When a player requests to pause, there should be a small pop-up for each player to accept or decline the pause request (with a timer of 1 or 2 mins to vote). The game is paused when at least one player of each team in the match agrees the request (if theres a 1vs1vs1 all players should accept)

While on pause, there's a window where you can click a checkbox if you're ready to unpause the game and see if the rest of players are ready (plus a small portion of the window for a chat). All players must accept to resume and the game is resumed after a 5 sec countdown.

After you have requested a pause, you can't request another if it has been declined in the next 5 minutes. And you can't request a pause after 10-15 mins if it has been accepted (counting sice the resume)

I disagree with this, if you need a pause and the other person refuses you, what then? Like i said, there will always be those who exploit it, the only way to succeed is to make sure that their is as little exploitation as possible.

This method will be maximum exploitation, thus is bad. though i like the can't pause after pausing mechanic.

Edited by auron2401

As for cheating I think pausing should be a common agreement from start.

Most multiplayer games don't have pause and it's fine with it. Cheats are automatically disabled for ranked plays, so should be pausing in my opinion. That way no silly rules to implement.

Some friends playing on LAN or online may agree to pause, I think most of random players don't want to unless common agreement before starting.

Why not including Teeworlds in the pause without the player who requested to pause? (or FlightGear)

As for cheating I think pausing should be a common agreement from start.

Most multiplayer games don't have pause and it's fine with it. Cheats are automatically disabled for ranked plays, so should be pausing in my opinion. That way no silly rules to implement.

I disagree that we should have ranked games Should have pausing disabled. HOWEVER, there should be an upper limit as to how long you can pause (for said ranked games). In the event that we might get a cult-following esports crowd, people don't want to be waiting for 30 minutes for one player to get back.

Oh and how many times a game you can pause

Maybe also make it so pauses take 5-10 seconds to take effect? That way we won't get tactical pauses unless they are planned WELL in advance. ( A LOT CAN HAPPEN IN 5 - 10 SECONDS. A LOT.)

Edited by auron2401

There is no good way to have a pause, Period. Every way you think of can and will be exploited.

[...]

I agree with this.

From several years of multiplayer experience I more or less learned this:

- If things can be exploited, they will be exploited.

- A vote of any kind will lead to debate, frustration, taunting and hatred. The original idea of a voting system never works out.

- If a player can avoid being rated and the game doesn't run the way that player likes it, that player will often avoid being rated rather than trying to win the game.

That's sad IMO but it is my experience :down:

I'd love to be proven wrong though :wink1:

IMO there is only one, simple and sane way to go here:

Entering a game means that player silently agrees to play it.

If you don't play the game, you lose it, no matter what happened.

(I for myself think that is quite obvious but it seams it isn't since PPL tend to blame everything else before actually taking responsibility)

No matter what here includes (but is not limited to):

- You don't pay attention (e.g. phone call, eating, watching TV, cat's on fire, whatever. Take care of such things are handled if needed by someone else or accept the loss due to your priorities chose. Stuff happens and will always. That's life.)

- You have an unstable connection making you drop from the game (Reconnecting is OK but only if all other players agree to that IMO. Why am I so rigorous here? Because players can, and will, disconnect on purpose.)

The only possible way to get around this is to have moderators, but I'm not so found of that either since moderators have power that will then be exploited (No offense, leper, but that's how I saw things happen, even in nice communities with enough sane PPL in it)

Hi buddies.

All propositions above mainly are right, but, i personnaly think that pause might be a usefull stuff, and sometimes really boring.

So, why wouldn't pause conditions be a caracteristic of the match, as starting ressources or population? So i'm kinda joining Karamel 's post. :yes3:

The host choose the kind of pause, between different possibilities as:

-any pause allowed

-pause allowed

-pause allowed, but players can vote to stop it (51% of the vote and the game unpauses?)

• Like 1