New gamemode

av93

Could you please describe your thoughts a little bit closer? Sounds a bit too different from the normal gameplay to easily be done as just a new game mode (would probably require different balancing etc), but it's certainly a thing that would be cool for a mod :)

• Like 1

:)

Instead the classical focus on economy in a Aoe 2 style, in DoW you get only 2 resources.

You get the main resource capturing strategic points, where you can build a turret (and upgrade it individually in 2 levels, being more productive and fortified, and you can research a 2 level tech to increase the productivity), critical points (they produce more, but can't be fortified, and you can archieve an victory hold them half +1 ) and relic points (Dunno about their productiviy, but enable to train big and special units)

Later you can build Energy collectors, that every new building it's more expensive that the previous, with also a 2 level tech.

Last, there are population techs to infantry and squats.

Simple.

In 0 ad, people could create a more strategic mod focusing in military in the described way.

But in the general branch, we could think in more dynamic skirmishes. Examples:

- Ancient observatory: Outpost with a very wide LoS. Doesn't decay, invincible

- Economic capturable buildings: Deep mines (thinking about the limited amounts in the surface), Trading centers, etc... Doesn't decay, Autoproduce resources, invincible

- Relics: Capturable "unit", movable that could garrison in temples. Invincible, Autoproduce resources

- Mercenary camps (there's a lot of discussion in the forum already) Doesn't decay, invincible

- Buildings that allow to train unique heroes, unique units of your factions, research unique techs, etc...

Edited by av93
  • Like 1

Ah, yeah. Did mostly think of the "changing everything to the non-destructible/capturable/auto-resource-generating" way =) Doing special buildings for special game modes should definitely be a possible addition for e.g. a "King of the Hill" (non-destrucible/capturable building, hold it for a predetermined amount of time to win) game mode :)

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Now we have indestructible units/buildings. Captured wonders trigger a victory timer?

If so, King of the hill could be done for next release, right? (I could try to make a scenario, but not a random map script)

EDIT: yes I tested and captured wonders trigger victory timer.

Edited by av93
edit

1 hour ago, sanderd17 said:

In case you want buildings that automatically generate resources, there already is a "ResourceTricle" component. See an example of it in the Persian palace: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/structures/pers_apadana.xml (line 55)

(hint from leper)

I know that was already possible. But for making building indestructible (besides having svn?)

Thank both! :) (I usally read logs, but rarely I enter on the irc)

Edited by av93