Rise and Fall: Civilisations at war

Good afternoon fellow gamers,
I have consulted with The Oracle (Stanislas) and I have figured out that the best thing to do is to open this topic thread to prevent my introduction thread from diverging too much.

I am opening this thread because I am an avid Rise and Fall owner and player and I always wonder whether there are any, or many, others left out there. The original page for the game, Rise and Fall Heaven [ http://raf.heavengames.com/ ] seems to have been closed down several years back but there are still archived discussions there that are viewable and very useful.

One of the main things that let the Rise and Fall: Civilisations at war game down was that the "Editor" that shipped with the game was an unsupported feature and you couldn't get any guides for it. I originally purchased the game years back and through several moves, including half way around the world, and a crashed and irretrievable hard drive I lost it. So, last year, I purchased the game again, in the U.K., for around $20 USD. Now I am happy again...! LOL

I have regained the knowledge of the base Editor that I had lost, namely the problem associated with getting your AI enemy to spawn combat units. I have that again, as shown below this message.

If there are any RaF Gamers out there I would like to hear from you with regards, particularly, to the editor so we can create an "Editor Users Guide" for the game.

Y'know, Stanislas asked me, "Why don't you play 0 A.D.?"
I answered, "I do, occasionally" and I probably will more so now that I am here but as I explained to him; hopefully adequately, it's kinda like when you have an old fire engine toy as a kid and someone buys you a brand new one, the new is nice and all but you are kind of attached to the old... if that makes sense. RaF fits my concept and idea of the abcient battles game experience, I know it, I am comfortable and very familiar with it... I like it.

As I also mentioned to Stanisals, I have nothing whatsoever against 0 A.D. and I read the forums about it, I just have this 'old fire engine toy' that I really love. Maybe that makes sense, maybe it doesn't, who knows. I'd just like to see RaF in its rightful place amongst the strategy and tactics games again.

Living in the past? Well, gimme a break, I'm old... LOL
Respects,
T

• Like 2

To resolve the problem of the AI not spawning combat units in user created "scenarios", I adjusted and tested the settings in the Player and AI/Options pages over about a week and a half. I came up with the following to ensure that the spawning takes place,

The relevant settings are as follows:

Player Page 1 - Leave all settings for resources at default values
Player page 2 - Set the start level for each player at 1 and the end levels at 5. Set "CPU Only" to ON for player 2 (AI player) Set "Shared LOS" to ON for each and set "Outpost Only" to OFF.

AI Page - Set all items except "Ignore" to on and set 'Citizen Percentage' to the same for each player (in my case 30%)
Options page: These are, it seems, the important changes - Change game type from 'Scenario' to 'Skirmish' and change 'Game Variant' to ACTION. Set 'Victory Allowed' to ON, 'Unit Improvements' to ON and get ready to Kick or be Kicked...

Veni, Vidi, Vici my friends.
Respects,
T

• 4 years later...

Hi!
I started to play this game again, one of my favourites from my kid years. We are doing multiplayer games, 4-5 of us, but got bored of the maps. I really want to edit a map but have no idea how to make it proper. like how to set outpost settings (lightly, hmoderately, heavily), how to set them neutral for the beginning. And actually, how to set the game to be like any of the playable maps in multiplayer. Hope I'll hear from you!

Rudli

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I wonder if it even works for Windows 10.

Yes, fortunately... Someone even created a portable version, it works for me: RaF:CaW.

The game is not perfect, especially history-wise, but gameplay-wise it has great ideas that could be implemented in 0 AD, albeit a little unpolished. I never use the Editor though, I'll probably experimenting on it later.

• Like 1

Just now, azayrahmad said:

Yes, fortunately... Someone even created a portable version, it works for me: RaF:CaW.

The game is not perfect, especially history-wise, but gameplay-wise it has great ideas that could be implemented in 0 AD, albeit a little unpolished. I never use the Editor though, I'll probably experimenting on it later.

the game is from the creators of Empire Earth and Empires Dawn of Modern Age.

Rick Goodman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Goodman