Balancing between two versions

Currently before the release of a new version of 0ad players are asked for balancing. After the last two releases I had the impression that perhaps there were not sufficient time for the test players to do a real good balancing, perhaps also under the pressure of the next release. In my opinion – at least as long as this game is in alpha stage – it would beneficial to be able to do balancing all the time, as done for example by the game http://zero-k.info/.

A possible variant is: Every time you log in into the lobby the game search if there is a more recent version for unit stats (only unit stats – graphics or other things should remain unchanged between two versions).

How will you fight invisible units?

F.e. if we add a unit, that also adds graphics, and it might make a civ stronger, thus we may need to reduce the stats of other units.

AFAICS, only full checkouts are possible, and that's already possible when you convince a few players to play on the SVN version, which can be updated every day.

• Like 2

Just that people are volunteers :) And work on what they please :)

Means no unified vision. Not everything is "easy." Must believe in the project to do the hard things even things that arent fun. and make decisions on applying minimal manpower. Need the presence of mind, what can be called situational awareness, to understand where your time and effort is needed, not where you want it to be but where it has the most utility (being a self-starter and team player--learnign when to sacrifice your own desires for the greater goal: the completion of a AA game). Creation is not always fun, but is done with hard work, and the finishe product is the reward.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

@wow the leader left ;)

Also Enrique told me something really true better work on something you want for you are more productive.

Now I agree with you that some stuff has more priority. On trac its really clear. Now I think team members should work on priority tasks while contributors should work on whatever they want.