WIP Atlas UI Changes

10 hours ago, hyperion said:

camera path is still there but it seems useless this days

It's orthogonal to a video support. And it's used for trailers.

A feature that went missing over time is video

IMO it'd be pain to support that properly.

would be nice if that could be added back again.

There was only video recording but not video playing.

9 hours ago, vladislavbelov said:

IMO it'd be pain to support that properly.

VLC said we could ask them for a special integration when I asked them last week but there seemed to be money involved. An advantage is they apparently don't require codecs.Ā 

@The Undying NephalimĀ currently uses buttons that open youtube. He said he has a friend who added video support for another engine. But hasn't convinced him yet.

But basically we just need to support one video format.

Ā 

• Like 1

I was testing different things in atlas, based on my WIP, and I was looking at if there any improvement that I can add in atlas without change "UI".

I would like to understand if you like a map maker, when you want to place entity object you always use Actor Viewer,

or it is more specific feature?

Im not super expert build maps but I was trying to understand the current workflow/process building a map from scratch or heigmap

- Import Heigthmap / create new map

- Use terrain tabs for configure your map

- Specify how many players, colors, etc configurations

- Place Object entities in map

- and finally save the map

Ā 

we could have different workflow but base on that, Im not sure why I need to "Create" the Actor Viewer when I clicked in Object Entities button, or do I missing something?

On 22/11/2022 at 9:48 AM, vladislavbelov said:

It's orthogonal to a video support. And it's used for trailers.

Depends on what you call video support :P Currently there is exactly one user able to create videos, namely Stan, so this fails my definition of video recording support. While not critical I guess there would be users of this feature.

Ā 

On 22/11/2022 at 7:01 PM, Stan` said:

@The Undying NephalimĀ currently uses buttons that open youtube. He said he has a friend who added video support for another engine. But hasn't convinced him yet.

But basically we just need to support one video format.

Don't know about vlc but a very simple sdl video player using ffmpeg is probably no more than 200 lines of code and a well featured one is available under lgpl 2.1 at https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/fftools/ffplay.c

Ā 

17 hours ago, trompetin17 said:

we could have different workflow but base on that, Im not sure why I need to "Create" the Actor Viewer when I clicked in Object Entities button, or do I missing something?

I use the actor viewer as preview, so I currently need it. And I guess artist creating actors have use for it as well. Anyway the cost of "creating" it seems negligible to me.

That reminds me that animations seem to be buggy in actor viewer.

1 minute ago, hyperion said:

Depends on what you call video support :P Currently there is exactly one user able to create videos, namely Stan, so this fails my definition of video recording support. While not critical I guess there would be users of this feature.

The trailer patch is available on Phabricator. It just adds constant framerate and jpg support.

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D3507

The thing it relies on is in the game. Then you just have to write scenarios like those

https://github.com/0ADMods/trailer_tools

So you can actually have videos but they will run as fast as your PC can handle.

4 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Don't know about vlc but a very simple sdl video player using ffmpeg is probably no more than 200 lines of code and a well featured one is available under lgpl 2.1 at

FFMpeg has to be downloaded manually cause it has a special license no? I know of no software bundled with it.

Raises the question of distro support too. Also backend integration with the renderer I guess ?

5 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Buggy how? Just the projectile not showing up the first time ?

or the fact that missing anims will show an out of sync idle because it removes animation sync.

16 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Ā 

Don't know about vlc but a very simple sdl video player using ffmpeg is probably no more than 200 lines of code and a well featured one is available under lgpl 2.1 at https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/fftools/ffplay.c

Ā 

I use the actor viewer as preview, so I currently need it. And I guess artist creating actors have use for it as well. Anyway the cost of "creating" it seems negligible to me.

Hyperion, my concer is for people whom is only building map and place object.Ā 

I mean, there is a button to switch to actor viewer, so my suggestion is only create the actor viewer canvan until you click on. That button, if you click is becuase you want to use actor viewer, makes senses what im trying to say?Ā 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stan` said:

FFMpeg has to be downloaded manually cause it has a special license no? I know of no software bundled with it.

To my knowledge it's gpl compatible with optional non-free components that require comping yourself if you want support for them.

Ā 

15 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Buggy how? Just the projectile not showing up the first time ?

Horse head and mane doing different things, or capes going rampant. Haven't noticed this in-game yet.

Ā 

13 minutes ago, Stan` said:

But I mean if you wanna do video support be my guest :)

There are quite a few things I'm willing to do after the switch to git or any vcs respecting authorship ;)

35 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Depends on what you call video support :P

It doesn't matter what's the definition, it's unrelated to camera paths.

35 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Currently there is exactly one user

I think it's true for most of interesting engine features. Just there are no (or too few to notice) experienced modders.

Horse head and mane doing different things, or capes going rampant. Haven't noticed this in-game yet.

Everything goes out of sync if an anim is missing.

If you load say attack_melee on an archer then all the props and the unit need to have an attack_melee animation and the same id if not they are gonna pick a random anim at a random time and go out of sync.

There are quite a few things I'm willing to do after the switch to git or any vcs respecting authorship ;)

Well progress is slow. Getting all the binaries to work for windows in a synced manner without having them in a repo without making it too complicated for non technical people and writing the migration scripts is complicated. Hopefully blender will soon have a phab to gitea script.

For trac I need to write the golang version.

We could use the gitea git repo right now technically but no CI would send us back four years earlier.

6 hours ago, Stan` said:

If you load say attack_melee on an archer then all the props and the unit need to have an attack_melee animation and the same id if not they are gonna pick a random anim at a random time and go out of sync.

That explains it, thanks.

Ā 

6 hours ago, Stan` said:

Well progress is slow.

I'm patient, no worry.

On 23/11/2022 at 4:27 PM, trompetin17 said:

Hyperion, my concer is for people whom is only building map and place object.Ā 

I mean, there is a button to switch to actor viewer, so my suggestion is only create the actor viewer canvan until you click on. That button, if you click is becuase you want to use actor viewer, makes senses what im trying to say?Ā 

Actor Viewer is to just view actors (such as soldiers) and their animations. It's not much more useful than that. It would be nice to edit an object's variations with that tool and then apply it to the selected object in-game, then at least Actor Viewer would be more useful. Might be out of scope though.