WIP Atlas UI Changes

hmmm, I like persistent panels more but this approach very very intriguing. Did you know you can increase space already with Alt-Enter?

One thing that is badly missing from Atlas is minimap. Also, would be nice to be able to put units in nice formations so they are spaced nicelyy on the map and these are what they are in at start of match.

about minimap what do you think about this image :P

abmZIBj.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Must of this function is implementent, but maybe this "in one of the current UI panels? in a separate draggable window?" cant implement it right now

That's the session UI minimap, which isn't terrible if it's fixed for Atlas, but the ticket is about a separate widget, like the new dockable floating panels. I think the advantage of a separate widget would be resizing and repositioning it. It wouldn't be trivial to add as another GL canvas, unless it could be a texture generated by the engine and displayed in a simpler wxWidgets control.

• 2 months later...

Nice features :)

Could you make it so only avalaible anims show up ?

Also don Ā“t know if possible but for animated meshes could you show the armature and name of the bones and prop points ? Allow to load different anims from collada ?

Keep it up you are awesome.

The floating panels are nice for a demo, but IMO they should be docked more like the current Atlas UI by default. I can see in the previews that it was necessary to move the panels around a lot to work on the terrain or whatever is behind them, which would be annoying if it was the default behavior. Otherwise, let's get it reviewed, tested, and committed (y)

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

@trompetin17: First of all, thank you for this amazing tool! I recently spent much more time using Atlas (several dozen of hours) than actually playing the main game. I have been disappointed and I couldn't find what I was looking for among the already available maps, and this tool is an amazing way to try to make my wishes real. You allow people to realize their gaming dreams, thanks!

Beside these cheers, I have some suggestions. I believe you are probably already very busy by implementing all the features in the actual version, but you might find these comments interesting. There are just remarks, based on my humble experience of Atlas, and it isĀ  certainly related to my personal workflow, but here is what I have in mind:

• First of all, and the most important, I would love to have the possibility to see the entities UID when selecting them on Atlas. Maybe it could be possible to display it on the "display setting" panel ? It is very useful for me to set up triggers and scripting events. I know there are some trigger functions to retrieve the UID during a game, to retrieve their positions from a building or a trigger point or so, but these triggers points are limited, and getting UIDs would let me set up more easily some complex scripts in an easier and much more flexible way. In a similar point, (but probably at a longer-term), I would love to be able to select a few entities, and to group them (meaning attributing a group UID to act on this group and attribute an action to this group with a script). The latter point is probably more complex to implement, and probably requires to act on the depth of the game, not only on Atlas. But I had to tell.
  • That would be really pleasant to improve the selection tool by letting the user chose what objects are selected. Eg. what I have in mind is a kind of list menu aside of the select icon, offering the options to select "all" ; "actors" ; "entities". I know you can switch between modes (probably not the "all" selection yet) by ALT-clicking, but this shortcut interferes with some OS commands. It would be easier this way for me. Moreover, when I work on actors, I don't work on entities, and in on another work session, I might want to remove all the objects at a time, etc.. But again, it might be related to my own workflow. Things would be clearer too this way (the ALT-click is not obvious at start).
  • In a similar way, having a menu list to toggle between both painting modes (ie. left click normal, and right click "smoothed" mode) would be nice. I apply textures using a pen-tablet. I would love to be able to switch between modes acting on the left-click only. Moreover (but it is just a longer-term idea), being able to control the depth/size/strength of the paint or land tool with a compatibility with pen-tablet pressure would be amazing... But it might require a lot of work too.
  • I would also love to have access to a list of available shortcuts from within the Atlas menu.

I have other ideas too, but I don't want to flood you with all of this. The Atlas editor is already very pleasant and is really a huge source of fun for me. There are just some personal suggestions that would make it truly amazing to me.

Keep going with good work!

• 1 month later...

Ā 

On 3/28/2016 at 0:12 PM, AtlasMapper said:

Beside these cheers, I have some suggestions. I believe you are probably already very busy by implementing all the features in the actual version, but you might find these comments interesting. There are just remarks, based on my humble experience of Atlas, and it isĀ  certainly related to my personal workflow, but here is what I have in mind:

• First of all, and the most important, I would love to have the possibility to see the entities UID when selecting them on Atlas. Maybe it could be possible to display it on the "display setting" panel ? It is very useful for me to set up triggers and scripting events. I know there are some trigger functions to retrieve the UID during a game, to retrieve their positions from a building or a trigger point or so, but these triggers points are limited, and getting UIDs would let me set up more easily some complex scripts in an easier and much more flexible way. In a similar point, (but probably at a longer-term), I would love to be able to select a few entities, and to group them (meaning attributing a group UID to act on this group and attribute an action to this group with a script). The latter point is probably more complex to implement, and probably requires to act on the depth of the game, not only on Atlas. But I had to tell.
  • That would be really pleasant to improve the selection tool by letting the user chose what objects are selected. Eg. what I have in mind is a kind of list menu aside of the select icon, offering the options to select "all" ; "actors" ; "entities". I know you can switch between modes (probably not the "all" selection yet) by ALT-clicking, but this shortcut interferes with some OS commands. It would be easier this way for me. Moreover, when I work on actors, I don't work on entities, and in on another work session, I might want to remove all the objects at a time, etc.. But again, it might be related to my own workflow. Things would be clearer too this way (the ALT-click is not obvious at start).
  • In a similar way, having a menu list to toggle between both painting modes (ie. left click normal, and right click "smoothed" mode) would be nice. I apply textures using a pen-tablet. I would love to be able to switch between modes acting on the left-click only. Moreover (but it is just a longer-term idea), being able to control the depth/size/strength of the paint or land tool with a compatibility with pen-tablet pressure would be amazing... But it might require a lot of work too.
  • I would also love to have access to a list of available shortcuts from within the Atlas menu.

I have other ideas too, but I don't want to flood you with all of this. The Atlas editor is already very pleasant and is really a huge source of fun for me. There are just some personal suggestions that would make it truly amazing to me.

Keep going with good work!

I agree with most of the suggestions. I still think a hotkey for toggling different selection modes would be useful, but hotkey support needs to be improved in Atlas, so they can be customized to the users' needs. Documentation is also something that should be flushed out.

About tablet support, I don't think it exists in wxWidgets yet (the library we use for Atlas GUI and input handling). However, I found this discussion on their forum, perhaps that is something we can implement, but I think it's a low priority feature. I'm not sure how many of our devs have a tablet, but I do.

• 3 years later...

Hello Everyone, this is a old thread but,

I'm starting to be more active, and I'm working in atlasUIĀ once again.

For now I'm going to fix some behaviors from atlasUI (like variations, osx, xcode, etc) and adding some QoL for mapĀ makers.

We hope to bring yours a better tool for map makers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, trompetin17 said:

Hello Everyone, this is a old thread but,

I'm starting to be more active, and I'm working in atlasUIĀ once again.

For now I'm going to fix some behaviors from atlasUI (like variations, osx, xcode, etc) and adding some QoL for mapĀ makers.

We hope to bring yours a better tool for map makers.

Please look over the map resize patch. It was looking very promising with some really handy features.

• Like 3

Hello everyone,

I need some help, anyone is able to give me a youtube video about use atlasui?

Or is there any youtuber doing that?

If we could see what map maker is doing in the current atlas would be greatĀ  and we can give you not only features but also QoL in atlas.

Thank you

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/attachment/ticket/571/atlas_minimap.jpg

Ā 

Revisiting. It would be very nice to have a minimap for Atlas for Alpha 27. Especially with the new minimap icons implemented, it would be supremely useful. @trompetin17Ā Along with @Langbart's new minimap.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

• 6 months later...
On 21/11/2022 at 10:40 PM, trompetin17 said:

wxWidget 3.0

I build against 3.2 and it works well.

Ā 

On 21/11/2022 at 10:40 PM, trompetin17 said:

Are there any people still using Atlas?

Yes, see ;)

Ā 

Ideas:

• A feature that went missing over time is video, camera path is still there but it seems useless this days, would be nice if that could be added back again.
  • A minor fix could be make the window icon available for non windows, throws a warning at startup every launch.
  • An actor preview instead of an actor path only in the sidebar

Edit: The window icon issue is actor editor only

Edited by hyperion