[Scenario Designer] application-[Fynn Levy]

Position: The position or role you are applying for. See the list above for the current available staff roles in Wildfire Games.

Scenario Designer

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free?
Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license?
Yes

Name: Fynn Levy
Your full name (A nickname is ok, but we prefer to work on a first-name basis at least).
Email: fynnius66 (at) gmail (dot) com
youremail (at) provider (dot) com
eg: Stockholm, Sweden/West Cost US/Eastern Europe/Goa, India/etc(helps us to calculate GMT for real-time meetings, can be as general as you like, though it should be enough to get an idea of what time during the day you are available). Where you currently reside.
Availability: 2 hours a week. However, after the 17th of June once I have finished my exams, this can be increased to a minimum of 8 hours a week.
How many hours per week on average do you think you'll have for Wildfire Games? What about 6 months from now?
(Optional) How old are you? Not because it matters, but rather we ask this to anticipate your availability and other factors based on where you are in life.
[(Optional) What keeps you busy in your day to day life? Student, work? etc.

Skills and Experience: Fairly extensive use of the scenario editor for Age of Empires II: HD Edition, creating my own custom scenarios. I also have experience in other level editors including the Source Engine's Hammer Editor. I have also had experience creating my own games in the past. I have done QA testing for 22cans' game Godus, and Dan Pearce's game 10 Second Ninja.
What qualifies you for this position? What experience have you had in the past?

Motivation: I am highly motivated to work on this project. At the moment, my time is somewhat limited because of upcoming exams. However, I would love to help more within the next few months. I grew up playing strategy games and would love to help develop one myself. Making games for me has always been about figuring life out. 0 A.D. seems to be a perfect way of helping that. It has an ability to transport players to a different time, and it is this combined with the decisions they will have to make to win a game that means they may just be able to find something out about themselves.
Tell us what motivates you to pursue these skills and experiences.
Personality: I always try to do something new or slightly different with the maps I create, I want to be able to surprise the player.
Creatively describe the way you see yourself in one sentence.

Short Essay: I found out about Wildfire Games about a year ago. I had heard about the 0 A.D project and was intrigued. Since then I have been following development of the game and have finally decided to try and jump in. I have developed my own games by myself in the past. However, I found that when I was working with other people on those projects, whether it was through QA feedback or play testing, I found the process to be significantly more enjoyable. That is what I hope to gain buy joining Wildfire Games, contributing to a larger project with a group of similarly dedicated and passionate developers. Another key reason for wanting to join is for experience. It is difficult getting a job in industry as it is, but I feel being able to gain experience through an open project such as this could be a great way to get started.
How and when did you find out about Wildfire Games? What motivates you to be a part of the project? What do you seek to gain in being a part of Wildfire Games?

Interests and Hobbies: Other than making and playing games, I enjoy writing, playing saxophone, and taking my dog Fergus for walks.
Tell us briefly about some of the other things you enjoy doing your free time. We ask this to get to know your background a bit better

Staff: Unfortunately, I do not know anyone on the team.
(Optional) Do you know, or know of anyone on the team?
Community: I am known to frequent Reddit and the Double Fine Action Forums.
(Optional) What communities, websites, or forums do you frequent that relate to your interests and the gaming world?
Favorite Game: Currently, I am really enjoying Animal Crossing. My overall favorite is a though choice, however games such as Journey, Dear Esther and Age of Empires II spring to mind.
What's your favorite game at the moment? What about your overall favorite?

Work Examples: Here is a link to my Steam Workshop, which includes some of my map making work for Age of Empires II: HD Edition. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Fynnius66/myworkshopfiles/
If applicable to the position you're applying to, please include a few examples of your past experience.

Edited by Fynnius66

http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15562

This could be useful to create some missing maps.

-----------------------

I'm not sure but you don't need be team member to create official maps.

If I don't need to be an official team member, do you have any idea what I do to submit maps? Or where can I find instruction as to what maps need to be scripted/made?

There are no planned maps AFAIK so it's best to think of a cool concept (or grab someone else's idea => unfinished maps, campaign scripts etc.) and create an epic map for it. After that share it on the forums. (We have a special subforum for it)

For your information, trigger scripts need to be manually coded, there is no GUI for that ATM.

Edited by niektb

There are no planned maps AFAIK so it's best to think of a cool concept (or grab someone else's idea => unfinished maps, campaign scripts etc.) and create an epic map for it. After that share it on the forums. (We have a special subforum for it)

For your information, trigger scripts need to be manually coded, there is no GUI for that ATM.

Great! Thank you, will do. :yes3:

Oh also, do you know if there will be any chance for the community to contribute their own maps to the final official product? Like help create a historical campaign or something like that?

Some ideas for maps that would be nice to have (please check first what has already been done first though):

http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15562

http://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16242

There are also some unfinished maps currently included in the game, but some of those are IIRC being worked on (see #2881).

For getting maps included in game (and/or joining the team as a mapper): Just produce good maps that play well and suit the game. If that works out you'll be asked to join the team.