Color Theory and Game Textures

Kicking_Bird

My purpose is make similar to AOE or make it more visible than before, may be less dark

The best solution IMO is to set the colors for bushes, trees with food, etc (objects that the player can interact with) and more or less ban those values from terrain/tweak terrain values to not be the same as the collectable ones.

Hi guys. I don't think berry bush need recolored if terrains reworked.

Here, I take stan's terrains and add more variaton and color edits and spec maps and yadda yada. I think game does not need to get rid of the highly detailed terrains, but what I think the game need to do is use those high def terrains for punches of detail, like terrain eyecandy. Most of the map or the "base" terrain would be a more muted and less contrast terrain or set of terrains as you see here.

5udUJ2M.jpg

You see the "bushy" terrains still exist, but more like eye candy:

edNYzvQ.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 5

Hi guys. I don't think berry bush need recolored if terrains reworked.

Here, I take stan's terrains and add more variaton and color edits and spec maps and yadda yada. I think game does not need to get rid of the highly detailed terrains, but what I think the game need to do is use those high def terrains for punches of detail, like terrain eyecandy. Most of the map or the "base" terrain would be a more muted and less contrast terrain or set of terrains as you see here.

You see the "bushy" terrains still exist, but more like eye candy:

That looks quite nice! It really helps the game objects to stand out. I'd love to hear what Enrique, Pureon, and others think of it. Also would a side-by-side comparison be possible?

• Like 1

I'm all in for change terrain textures to help game objects to stand out. I barely worked on terrain textures, that task was managed mainly by Mythos so I'm not very familiar with it (also I'm not into map-making yet).

What I think is that we shouldn't scrap all textures because they're busy/noise, I'd rather add them in an "eyecandy" section or some sort, while the "main" terrain textures can get this improvement to stand out objects.

Using this busy textures in small quantities shouldn't affect the gameplay and mapmakers can still benefit from them. Diversity is nice :)

• Like 6