how to capture animals

danieljames626

I am hoping someone will be able to point me to an explaination concerning capturing animals, please.

I have searched google and youtube and this forum and have not been successful. If there's something I haven't found, can you please point me in the right direction?

I can't work out how to interact with animals in any way other than killing them. I would like to try following in-game suggestions to capture an elephant for the elephant stables etc.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Even a military boot (without extra soldiers on board) can be too dumb to kill a whale. Recently, I was really annoyed and thinking about changing the unit AI. What is the point of moving a bit closer to the whale so that the ship can shoot before the whale is out of shooting range again? Or move very close to animals which are not aggressive? It's the same with ranged cavalry in the beginning phase. 

Is that behaviour desired that way? 

The bug is different from the cav bug.

The problem is that for a unit, the range takes into account the size of the target (else melee soldiers would try to go to the middle of a building to attack it). But as this is a quite heavy calculation, the size of the target isn't taken into account for structures. Targets are only in range when their center is in range there.

The problem with the ship is that it has one arrow as a unit (one default arrow), and the surplus arrows are added the same way as for structures. As the movement code is also part of the Unit AI, it will only move until the target is in reach for that one arrow, and not for the surplus arrows.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sanderd17 said:

The problem with the ship is that it has one arrow as a unit (one default arrow), and the surplus arrows are added the same way as for structures. As the movement code is also part of the Unit AI, it will only move until the target is in reach for that one arrow, and not for the surplus arrows.

will be fixed by #4000

The "random target for (ranged) attacks beyond the first" actually makes sense to me.
E.g. not all units can stand at one "window" and shoot through it.

That also makes towers/fortresses weaker with the progress of the game (e.g. against siege/champions) which is IMO wanted to raise the chance one player wins (so the game doesn't take forever).

The unit AI IMO needs improvement though including another though about stances (and - less related - formations).

• 4 months later...

Outpost: when unoccupied has a fixed line of sight can it increase line of sight if garrisoned? If garrisoned with range unit it should be able to fire and the range depends at least what type of unit is garrisoned. If archer is garrisoned it should fire arrow and if javeliner or slinger is garrisoned it should fire it's corresponding weapon. If a sword or pikeman is garrisoned it should increase the line of sight too but not fire. Any other foot units that are not ranged should not fire arrow. Maybe hard to implement but just please take out the unranged unit garrisoned in the outpost to fire. The AIs tend to attack a garrisoned outpost and losing lots of units trying to take it down to no avail and keep on sending units to destroy it without success.  

Same goes to towers...

speaking of towers can't we modify that Persian tower? It looks like a plain stick ;p. 

Ships firing two arrows too!

Edited by Servo

19 minutes ago, Servo said:

Outpost: when unoccupied has a fixed line of sight can it increase line of sight if garrisoned? If garrisoned with range unit it should be able to fire and the range depends at least what type of unit is garrisoned. If archer is garrisoned it should fire arrow and if javeliner or slinger is garrisoned it should fire it's corresponding weapon. If a sword or pikeman is garrisoned it should increase the line of sight too but not fire. Any other foot units that are not ranged should not fire arrow. Maybe hard to implement but just please take out the unranged unit garrisoned in the outpost to fire. The AIs tend to attack a garrisoned outpost and losing lots of units trying to take it down to no avail and keep on sending units to destroy it without success.  

Same goes to towers...

speaking of towers can't we modify that Persian tower? It looks like a plain stick ;p. 

Ships firing two arrows too!

Make a new post this a little off topic, or non related.