===[TASK]=== Hyena

wraitii

Hey nice work! There is still some work to be done to fix the texture but it's pretty neat.

Some tips:

For proportions in blender addons add the import image as planes. Then find a side image and tweak the model so it matches it perfectly.

To fix the texture you can use the paint tools after baking on a good UVMap to avoid stretching.

I found that the clone tool work best.

Do the animations still work?

Keep it up @lukamas glad to see you back. I haven't heard of @Samulis but I'll ping him again when we have something close to commitable :)

Thanks, I will keep you up to date with the models I make for this game, and I will edit the hyena, definitely going to possibly take a better look at the proportions and edit them, also I will fix the texture incase of stretching, the animations work good in blender as far as I know, I will let you guys know what happens with the hyena.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lukamas said:

Thanks, I will keep you up to date with the models I make for this game, and I will edit the hyena, definitely going to possibly take a better look at the proportions and edit them, also I will fix the texture incase of stretching, the animations work good in blender as far as I know, I will let you guys know what happens with the hyena.

For the spotted hyena (Crocuta crocuta), the following images might be helpful:

However, the spotted hyena lives outside the area covered by 0 A.D.'s civilizations:

Spoiler

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Spotted_Hyaena_area.png

So if you have time and enthousiasm left when the spotted hyena is finished, it would be nice if you could also create the striped hyena (Hyaena hyaena), which fits in 0 A.D.'s area:

And if you're not bored then, maybe adding the other two hyena species for completeness (in case someone want to make a “Zoo Tycoon” mod) would be nice as well.

The aardwolf (Proteles cristata):

And the brown hyena (Hyaena brunnea):

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nescio said:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%B3%D0%B8%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B0_4.jpg

lol, check this out: A Kerma Period Kushite striped hyena ivory inlay (1700 BC - 1550 BC):

SC291906.jpg.b3de028e6ec7dd4a198c8dce365ab47b.jpg

Originally part of a typical Kerma Period bed, a design which persisted for thousands of years and were actually depicted in New Kingdom Egyptian tribute scenes depicting the produce from Kush. Somewhat similar beds are still used for marriage and funeral ceremonies in Sudan today.

A reconstruction of the original piece, with inlays of striped hyenas, the goddess Taweret and Ibexes (Ibex are already in-game I think):

1681750921_HistoricalreconstructionofaKermaperiodwoodenbedivoryinlaysKingdomofKushKushite.thumb.jpg.13c3c7403a2dd71a6f9b25b3b2c2a618.jpg

Original next to reconstruction:

C10152.thumb.jpg.bca30a6dc94c862fffb26f350731011d.jpg

Detail of the inlays including ibex and hyena

SC314442.jpg.1f9c445afc5380a14b84504276104afb.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/7/2019 at 6:52 AM, Nescio said:

For the spotted hyena (Crocuta crocuta), the following images might be helpful:

However, the spotted hyena lives outside the area covered by 0 A.D.'s civilizations:

Reveal hidden contents

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Spotted_Hyaena_area.png

So if you have time and enthousiasm left when the spotted hyena is finished, it would be nice if you could also create the striped hyena (Hyaena hyaena), which fits in 0 A.D.'s area:

And if you're not bored then, maybe adding the other two hyena species for completeness (in case someone want to make a “Zoo Tycoon” mod) would be nice as well.

The aardwolf (Proteles cristata):

And the brown hyena (Hyaena brunnea):

I probaby will not make the Brown Hyena yet because they are in South Africa and the Kalahari and I don't know of any maps in the game already that would be for the Brown Hyena that are South African based,

but the Aardwolf maybe because there is a Serengeti map in the map editor already, so they might be good there, but I will focus on the Spotted Hyena and Striped Hyena in terms of species that would be alright for the maps ingame.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

since the assets are open source cc-by-sa, I managed to help on wraitii's spotted hyena model, and made some new animations besides the walk, I made a run gallop cycle, attack animation, laugh\growl animation, idle animation, and a death animation, just thought it would be helpful to improve upon the existing hyena that has already been made instead of a hyena off of the wolf model. if you guys want me to, I can remodel the hyena from a reference image, either works for me, but the spotted hyena is coming along very well!

You don't need to remake it as long as it matches the real deal :) There will probably some last minutes tweak with it :) but you should be fine. Do not hesitate to use software such as 'screen to gif' to get constructive feedback on your animations :)

keep up the good work @lukamas can't wait to include it in a A24 :)

1 hour ago, lukamas said:

Showcasing the hyena edited model in the map editor, but I get this error, how do I fix this? image.png.b1bd20ebe7b29f93934265a23c2f1c52.png

You need to use

https://github.com/StanleySweet/0AD-Skeleton-Generator

To do so,

Clone the repository (or download as zip)

$ git clone https://github.com/StanleySweet/0AD-Skeleton-Generator.git

Then copy the dae file into the input directory in that folder.

Then run

$ python3 skeleton_generator.py

It will generate a skeleton file you can put into the folder

binaries/data/mods/public/art/skeletons