===[TASK]=== Hyena

wraitii

I felt like trying to model this evening, so I went out and made a Hyena.

I think the model itself is fairly accurate (enough for the game at least), I did some crap texturing job but I really suck at texturing. Will probably try to armature and possibly animate it later.

Any comments?

Edit: update below.

post-9128-0-59603100-1425676783_thumb.pn

post-9128-0-73562100-1425676785_thumb.pn

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

He's a bit fat.
Hyenas in general are under-fed. (ever seen a fat hyena? in a zoo, maybe!)

Apart from model size, if you made his sides flatter, he'd have less triangles (right? im not a moddeler) thus better performance out of him? Not that it'll matter unless someone makes an animal invasion mod. xD

In-game.

I've re-changed my mesh to fit my animations using IK, it's mostly working now so I started working on some animations and will probably commit it sometimes next week once I'm satisfied with them and have touched my textures up again.

post-9128-0-35611100-1425822493_thumb.pn

• Like 2

I think the contrast and saturation can be adjusted, to make it stand out a bit more. If the dark spots popped out a stronger, i think it would look better!

I made a paintover of what I think would make it stand out and be easier to identify as a hyena

post-15430-0-42527700-1426032571_thumb.p

Edited by Micket

I changed the texture to be much brighter, more contrasted and use bigger spots so they are visible from farther away (also tweaked the model UV). I think it looks much better that way. I think I'll have to make the eyes bigger too.

I've got some animations which I think are acceptable now, will work on them some more.

post-9128-0-60788400-1426077237_thumb.pn

post-9128-0-21116100-1426077239_thumb.pn

post-9128-0-49668500-1426077240_thumb.pn

Darkening the eye-region should help to make it stand out better

Regarding the animation; Is that still shot representative of the animation? Because, I must say, it looks very stilted. Also, the "pace" walk seems like a very unusual way for a dog-like animal. Isn't galloping the usual way a hyena would move about?

Nice to see you back modelling and animating wraitii! :D

Very nice overall :)

My input would be on marking a little some characteristic look of the hyenas: the fact that they normally walk with the head quite low, and the fact that their back legs are much shorter than the front ones compared with other quadrupeds (thus making a slope on their spines seen in auron's reference http://media.web.britannica.com/eb-media/34/82634-050-865C2055.jpg).

waiting to see the animations :P

I'm sure that at the normal zoom level, these are not visible, but, i think the "elbow" joint should bend more. Also, the front paw should extend! (of course, the paw is like.. 3 pixels, but that's what struck out to me when i looked at the rendered animation in blender).

Back legs look great.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

There are four different hyena species:

• striped hyena (Hyaena hyaena)
  • brown hyena (Hyaena brunnea)
  • spotted hyena (Crocuta crocuta)
  • aardwolf (Proteles cristata)

I don't know which one you've been working on, and all four would be nice to have, but the first one is the one we probably want most, given its distribution range: Striped_Hyaena_area.png

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

I made a spotted hyena out of the gray wolf, if you guys need a remodel, just a contribution, I know hyenas are not dogs, and their own species related more to cats, but I made this because It found it easy to mesh one off a canine model, let me know what you guys think :)

image.png.178d56020698c3bb5302f97093149297.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1