Engine Questions

The Undying Nephalim

There's indeed some form of bug/misuse here. Right now you would need to also add a "<define name="USE_SPECULAR_MAP" value="1"/>" to your material file, and I'd recommend making the specular map all black (if you don't want specular) or all white. But that shouldn't be needed.

You also need "USE_SELF_LIGHT", you need to set prefer GLSL, and you need to provide a specTex.

(I won't fix it right now since we're in commit Freeze for A18 but it'll be fixed in SVN soon.)

Can you post an example model trying to get glow working? Even if it's just a cube, and not only the actor XML, but all the files associated with it, so we can test. It could be a bug, a model error, a config error, it's certainly not an effect that gets much testing.

I've attached the files to the post. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I should point out that I'm using this actor as a prop attached to another actor.

crystal_glows.zip

No, you should only need one UV. I'm fairly sure it's just because the code is not obvious and slightly buggy.

I must have been confusing it with AO maps.

In fact, I tried the provided model and it does glow, though perhaps not the effect you were expecting? You can see in the screenshot below, the right one has self-light but the left one doesn't. I had to alter the sun angle to make the effect visible.

post-10080-0-39435300-1425851800_thumb.j

I also tried it as a prop. This was how the effect was intended, as far as I know. It might be possible to tweak some of the material parameters and end up with a different effect.

• Like 1

It does, but it's not obvious due to the brightness of the sun. You would need to make the self-light stronger or something.

Also that only works if the object is not a decal... in your situation it works because of the geometry.

I must have been confusing it with AO maps.

In fact, I tried the provided model and it does glow, though perhaps not the effect you were expecting? You can see in the screenshot below, the right one has self-light but the left one doesn't. I had to alter the sun angle to make the effect visible.

attachicon.gifglow_noglow.jpg

I also tried it as a prop. This was how the effect was intended, as far as I know. It might be possible to tweak some of the material parameters and end up with a different effect.

The is a close enough visual for now, how exactly did you get it to work?

The is a close enough visual for now, how exactly did you get it to work?

All I did was copy your files to the appropriate mod directories, start Atlas, place an instance of the actor and move the sun around (in the environment tab) to darken the map. If you try that and it doesn't work, then you might not have the fancy graphics enabled. My local.cfg is like this:

preferglsl = truepostproc = truewaterugly=falsewaterfancyeffects = truewaterrealdepth = truewaterrefraction = truewaterreflection = trueshadowsonwater = truegentangents = truesmoothlos = truematerialmgr.quality = 10.0materialmgr.PARALLAX_DIST.max = 150materialmgr.PARALLAX_HQ_DIST.max = 75materialmgr.PARALLAX_VHQ_DIST.max = 30
  • Like 2