Bronze Age Germanics?

Andrettin

Have you considered adding Bronze Age (pre-)Germanics to the mod? More specifically, I mean having a civilization based on the Nordic Bronze Age, during which the Proto-Germanic language was probably developed. For example, here are some bronze shields from that culture:

The%20Bronze%20Age%20shields%20%281100-7

The%20shields%20from%20S%C3%B8rup%20Bog%

(these are from the National Museum of Denmark)

If you are interested in more references, let me know and I will provide them.

I think vanilla game needs support minifactions and mercenaries first, needs be very documentated to be full faction even incluiding heroes , marvels , champion units and heroes

Yes, I see what you mean. It would be really nice if minifactions and mercenaries were supported, since then it would be possible to "start small" with new factions, instead of needing to create the entire civilization from the first.

I think that the units could use the weapons and etc. from the Nordic Bronze Age findings, while their names could be in Proto-Germanic. There is a Proto-Germanic dictionary available here.

For instance, a swordsman could use the Nordic Bronze Age broad sword, shield and helmet, and be called "Erala" ("warrior" in Proto-Germanic). This is what was done for the bronze age Germanic units of my game, and here is the result:

warrior.png

warrior_bronze_shield.png

I suppose that graphics such as these could provide a good reference for the modellers working on Aristeia.

These were the swords and helmet used as references to create this warrior:

Imported%20swords%20from%20%C3%85mosen%2

The%20bronze%20sword%20from%20F%C3%B8lle

The%20construction%20of%20the%20Viks%C3%

• Like 2

Other problem how they call themselves? I not sure pro germanic

architecture?

All are question about designing

I think just "Germanic" would fit. We don't know how they called themselves, since they didn't possess writing and during this period Romans hadn't yet met (Pre-)Germanic peoples to describe them, as they would later on.

As for the architecture, here is a reconstruction of a farm of theirs:

Bronze%20Age%20Farm%20%28Nordic%20Bronze

Bronze%20Age%20Farm%20%28Nordic%20Bronze

A house:

Bronze%20Age%20House%20%28Nordic%20Bronz

...and a longhouse:

Langhus%20%28Nordic%20Bronze%20Age%29%20

Langhus%20%28Winter%29%20%28Nordic%20Bro

Here is an interpretation of how a civic center of theirs could look like:

town_hall.png

...barracks:

barracks.png

...smithy (this one is partially based on a later smithy, from a reconstructed Germanic settlement in the Danube from the time of the Marcomanni; but adapted to have bronze age weapons and tools):

smithy.png

...and house/farmstead:

farm.png

• Like 2

Now we are speaking same language. :) continue...

Cool =)

Here are some burial sites, which can be used as a reference for the units' clothing:

The%20man%20from%20Muldbjerg%20%281365%2

The%20man%20from%20Trindh%C3%B8j%20%2813

The%20old%20man%20from%20Borum%20Esh%C3%

The%20young%20man%20from%20Borum%20Esh%C

The hat there (which is made of wool) can be used to help differentiate one type of unit from another. For instance, it could be used to differentiate an archer from the swordsman:

archer.png

archer.png

• Like 1

Aristeia artist here. Are you sure those swords are accurate ? Also I want to know what license ls your game. ( To avoid copyright infringement if repoducing stuff.

The game itself is licensed under the GPLv2, and these graphics are dual-licensed under the GPLv2 and CC-BY-SA 3.0 licenses (the artists from whom I commissioned them agreed to release the graphics under both licenses) =)

The swords are accurate, yes. These images are from the National Museum of Denmark (unfortunately they have been making modifications to their website in the last few days, so that the English version of these pages doesn't seem to be working properly):

http://natmus.dk/historisk-viden/danmark/oldtid-indtil-aar-1050/bronzealderen-1700-fkr-500-fkr/kvinder-og-maend-i-bronzealderen/maend-gik-med-svaerd/

http://natmus.dk/historisk-viden/danmark/oldtid-indtil-aar-1050/bronzealderen-1700-fkr-500-fkr/forbindelser-sydpaa/fjerne-forbindelser/

The swords in the second link are said to be "imported", probably meaning that they were made in Central Europe (by Celtic cultures); but they were used by the pre/proto-Germanics in Scandinavia. The sword in the first link is not described as being imported; it is said to be a "full-grip sword".

There are also these swords:

http://natmus.dk/historisk-viden/danmark/oldtid-indtil-aar-1050/bronzealderen-1700-fkr-500-fkr/svaerdene-fra-roerby/

But although they look very interesting, they were probably only used for rituals. But I suppose that these swords could be used for combat units as an "artistic license", if you prefer to use them than the other ones.

is possible but I'm worrying with the heroes matter

The marvel would be Burial Site a kind necropolis site.

A burial site is a great idea for a wonder for this civilization. I suggest using the "Kiviksgraven" burial site, which belongs to the Nordic Bronze Age. Although this article about the monument is in Swedish, its abstract is in English, and it has a few pictures.

Here is a picture of the site:

1.jpg

And how it looks from afar:

1.jpg

• Like 1

About the heroes: although we don't have writings from this period, I imagine that heroes from the Scandinavian sagas that fit the time period could be used.

For instance: in the Ynglinga Saga, "Odin's people" migrates from just east of the Don river, pass through the region of the Volkhov river, going then through what is today northern Germany, and finally arriving in Scandinavia and settling there. Historically, Indo-European peoples (from whom Germanic culture, amongst others such as Celtic, Latin and etc. originate) migrated to Scandinavia using pretty much this route. Although we cannot be sure, it is possible that this legend about the settlement of Scandinavia contains traditions about the great (historical) migration of Indo-Europeans to Scandinavia, passed down orally.

So we could presuppose that the heroes mentioned in the sagas about the settlement of Scandinavia (if they existed) lived around the time when it was historically settled (c. 2800 BC). At this time, Scandinavia was still in the neolithic, rather than the bronze age, but those heroes could still be used for this bronze age civilization as an "artistic license".

One such hero is Skjold (Skjöldr/Skjaldun):

"Then Odin began his way northward, and came into the land which they called Reidgothland; and in that land he took possession of all that pleased him. He set up over the land that son of his called Skjöldr, whose son was Fridleifr;--and thence descends the house of the Skjöldungs: these are the kings of the Danes. And what was then called Reidgothland is now called Jutland."

Achilles, Agamemnon and Odysseus have mythical facts but is probably have a historical background and should be heroes to Myceneans King Minos too for Minoans and Goliath for Sea People.

The mythical heroes are in mostly of cases are inspired by real heroes. Is better than nothing.

We need at last a single heroe for faction.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Just a stupid question what is different between a faction and a mini faction ? If it is just less buildings that´s easy. Maybe we could ask mimo or agentx to do a simple ai that just gathers

I think the idea of a mini faction is to work sort of like the natives in AoE3, having only one (or very few) buildings, which would be neutral, and a few units which could be recruited as mercenaries. But AFAIK the engine does not support this yet.

Just a stupid question what is different between a faction and a mini faction ? If it is just less buildings that´s easy. Maybe we could ask mimo or agentx to do a simple ai that just gathers

Minifaction is more limited than a full faction

Can be limited by:

Haven't no Heroes

Haven't no Marvels

Haven't Champion units ( very rare)

Haven't own achitecture. Uses other factions building set.

they history is very simple conditioned by a Full Faction. Example Pergamon are most a secondary actor than principal in Roman-Syrian war. Numidia is other limited by Punic wars.

I think the idea of a mini faction is to work sort of like the natives in AoE3, having only one (or very few) buildings, which would be neutral, and a few units which could be recruited as mercenaries. But AFAIK the engine does not support this yet.

That one of many purposes. The other is will be playable in specials maps but limited by features I was mentioned before.and other proposition is like a Reinforcements or Embassy system ( slightly diferent mercenary)