Removing blood/dead units?

Trae

I just found this game today, and it looks great! Though looking at the media page, it appears that when units die there's blood and the units remain dead on the field for a while. Is there any way I can disable this? I just want destroyed units to vanish.

I don't plan on downloading if this can't be disabled.

And the units are not dead, they will be reanimated once you train more.

?? That's one way of interpreting what's going on, but I guess for most people the fallen will look like they're deceased... At the very least, for the topic starter: units do not suddenly pick themselves up from the ground when new units are trained, instead they vanish after a while.

I'm not sure if this behaviour can be adjusted with the regular, downloadable game. It's not an in-game setting, although with some file tweaking it could be possible to let fallen units vanish instantly so no death units are shown to linger around.

To do so, within the game's mods/public/simulation folder, the file template_unit.xml should be adjusted slightly:

<Decay>  <DelayTime>0.0</DelayTime></Decay>

DelayTime can be set to 0.0, so they vanish straightaway instead of after 80 seconds (the default). Other entities, such as ships and buildings, would not be altered. I assume that is less offensive to you?

The only issue is that in the default download, all these files are zipped and use a compressed/compiled format that makes it hard to adjust. If possible, a regular (but tweaked) template_unit.xml file could be placed into the zipped package. Now I think of it, this would be perfect for a small mod that only overwrites the template_unit.xml file to achieve what you want.

?? That's one way of interpreting what's going on, but I guess for most people the fallen will look like they're deceased... At the very least, for the topic starter: units do not suddenly pick themselves up from the ground when new units are trained, instead they vanish after a while.

I'm not sure if this behaviour can be adjusted with the regular, downloadable game. It's not an in-game setting, although with some file tweaking it could be possible to let fallen units vanish instantly so no death units are shown to linger around.

To do so, within the game's mods/public/simulation folder, the file template_unit.xml should be adjusted slightly:

<Decay>  <DelayTime>0.0</DelayTime></Decay>

DelayTime can be set to 0.0, so they vanish straightaway instead of after 80 seconds (the default). Other entities, such as ships and buildings, would not be altered. I assume that is less offensive to you?

The only issue is that in the default download, all these files are zipped and use a compressed/compiled format that makes it hard to adjust. If possible, a regular (but tweaked) template_unit.xml file could be placed into the zipped package. Now I think of it, this would be perfect for a small mod that only overwrites the template_unit.xml file to achieve what you want.

You could upload your mod to https://github.com/0ADMods .

As for blood, I do believe it is planned to be a setting that can be turned off easily. Right now I think it is referenced in the dead actor files. To completely remove that right now would require editing every unit's actor file - not really feasible.

However, the blood only stays around for as long as the dead unit is around. There is a quick fix that I think you would be happy with. If the unit is removed quickly enough, the death animation and blood do not have enough time to appear. The only issue with this is that it does not have time to play the death animation at all, so units just disappear, they don't fall down first.

You only have to edit one file: 0ad/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/template_unit.xml

(If you are using Windows, you can use Notepad or Wordpad to edit the .xml file. I believe just clicking the file will open it in the browser by default which will not let you edit the file.)

Look for this section near the top:

<Decay>    <Inactive/>    <DelayTime>80.0</DelayTime>    <SinkRate>0.01</SinkRate>    <SinkAccel>0.0</SinkAccel>  </Decay>

...and change its values to something like below:

<Decay>    <Inactive/>    <DelayTime>0.0</DelayTime>    <SinkRate>100.01</SinkRate>    <SinkAccel>100.0</SinkAccel>  </Decay>

That will make the units disappear instantly when killed and the blood should be gone as well.

[Edit]

As was mentioned in an earlier post, there may be an issue getting the file changes to take if you are playing the official release version since all the data is in a zip file. I have not tried changing files there. I guess you could extract the public.zip file, make the change, and then re-zip it.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin

As was mentioned in an earlier post, there may be an issue getting the file changes to take if you are playing the official release version since all the data is in a zip file. I have not tried changing files there. I guess you could extract the public.zip file, make the change, and then re-zip it.

Actually there should be no need to. As long as you have the file (in its correct place/file structure) outside the zip that should be all that's needed. As far as I remember loose files override those in the zip (and mods override loose files in the public mod).

Oh, right. Forgot that worked in the official release. (Although if it didn't, most would never be able to use mods... which would make all the mod support work kind of pointless...) Should be really easy then, just follow Erik's advice.

[edit]

If you don't mind the blood appearing for a short time, and just don't want the dead units lying around, you can set the DelayTime to a few seconds and use a high value for the sink rates. That will show the dying animation (falling down) and the blood. If you time it right though, the unit (and blood) will disappear when the unit hits the ground. The unit death animations are not all the same length, so it wouldn't be perfect, but you could probably find a value that is the right length for most unit's death animations.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin

• 3 weeks later...
I don't plan on downloading if this can't be disabled.

What? Because there is blood you dont play?

But a blood FX toggle would be nice for people that dont like it "and maybe for low-end pc,s performance wise" But for people that want it as realistic as possible there sould be more effects like blood on the shields when they fought a battle, And different blood pools.

What? Because there is blood you dont play?

But a blood FX toggle would be nice for people that dont like it "and maybe for low-end pc,s performance wise" But for people that want it as realistic as possible there sould be more effects like blood on the shields when they fought a battle, And different blood pools.

This request hasn't gone unoticed... :)

• 9 months later...