Suggestions for the Gauls

Not relating to the Gaulish Wonder:

This is again about the troops for the Gauls:

In order to differentiate the two factions, the Gallic Iaosae should be replaced with Sotroas (archers) especially considering that the current slinger uses body paint and square/h shaped shields (thing exclusive to the Britons/Picts) as well as some of the level 3 versions fighting with a fur loincloth (something that really needs to be limited to only the Gaesatae for the Gauls). The Sotroas should fight in mostly trousers in level 1, with some wearing a full tunic like the level 1 spearmen, then using a full, more colourful tunic in level 2 and having perhaps a light padded vest of wool along with a coolus helmet (like the montefortino but without cheekpieces) in level 3.

The skirmishers should follow the same method of clothing as the Sotroas. I understand that in level 3 they are currently meant to portray Gaesatae due to them being elite skirmishers, which is fine, except that causes there to be a melee Gaesatae and a ranged one, which seems odd. As said before: they should follow the same method of appearance as the Sotroas, however they should also get a small round shield (like the cavalry one) in level 2, and then an oval shield (not a more elite hexagonal shield like currently used) in level 3.

The spearmen are mostly fine, except for their level 2: in level 2 they should receive an iron coolus helmet and some linothorax (not the same looking as those of the Greeks, look at the Leuki re-enactors to get a better idea of what Celtic linothorax looked like, the model Stanislas was working on a while back for leather armour is also accurate for medium armour in level 2 units). In level 3 they should get a montefortino helmet instead of the cheekless high helmet currently used.

The Epos cavarly should be the same in level 2 and 3 as the spearmen.

The skirmisher cavarly should get more armoured as they level up, and not look like mounted gaesatae in level 3. They should probably follow the same style of armour advancement as the skirmishers as mentioned earlier.

One thing that definitely needs to be removed is the limed/spiked up hair. While some tribes on the continent did do it, it wasn't as common as it probably was in the Isles, and therefore it shouldn't be there if the Gaulish civilisation is to be a generalisation of all mainland Celtic tribes.

Now for a unit suggestion: since the Gauls are rather lacking in units compared to some of the other civs, they should receive a swordsman unit like the Greeks and Romans have. I know I mentioned it before, but I didn't really explain it properly. The unit would be named Bataros (plural: Bataroi) and be equipped in the same manner as the spearman (light tunic>linothorax>chain) however, due to the extra expense of buying a sword instead of a cheaper spear, the level 1 units should receive a smaller round shield like the ones used by the Epos.

Please note that these are all suggestions that would improve historical accuracy for the Gauls.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

very nice, I blanketed all the textures with the one normal and spec map and it calmed them down enough to fall into place with the rest of the Gaul pack. It's going to need its own Ofc , but I'd like to hear what you guys think, the larger tiles with and without the moss are my favorite atm

image.jpeg

• Like 4