Suggestions for the Gauls

Lion do you want me to fix some details on your armor ? I see some glitches here and there =)

EDIT : BTW it's how it looks on the new units mesh

may be I need wait to have greek new texture model, because I'm based in an odl texture(dds), I need adapt to the new models.

I need rework center art work/ desing expand it to sides.

And in lower desing

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

IRRELEVANT TO LION'S GAUL ARMOUR:

I finally managed to figure out what bugs me about the Gaulish buildings. They look too rural. Simply because they appear to be based on village finds. For example:

9z1QoG.jpg

That reconstruction looks very similar to one of the in-game buildings, problem is it's clearly a rural building.

A thing that bugs me is that they get the hut style house, meaning their houses are smaller and increase the pop limit by a smaller number than that of other civs like the Carthaginians, Romans, Hellenes etc. The Mauryans and the Iberians also have this, but they have other structures that make up for it in size, whereas the Gauls do not have that. The Gauls have few big structures. Their fortress is on of the smallest in game, their walls look crude and primitive (although still keep with the Kelheim Murus Gallicus) they should appear more refined, their towers are short, their barracks are actually fine, their market is fine. Anyway, the hut thing for the Gauls should change, as most Gauls in cities lived in fairly large longhouses. Much longer than the Image I posted above.

u4A9X8.png

^^ Is what the gates and walls would be better looking like.

e8RESt.jpg

I saw this posted on the differentiating Britons and Gauls topic. Actually not sure what the source of this image is. All I want to point out is the arena type building on the top. If something like that were added, it'd definitely help the case of the Celts not looking urban enough. The houses in the image are also nice, and acceptable.

Overall, the things that make them look rural are the small buildings and the overuse of thatch (which LordGood said they could make more varied by adding shingle variation, but I got no info on that afterwards). Iberians look urban because of their variation between tile? and thatch and their very large buildings.

Just to add in, if this is planned, then I obviously understand it won't appear soon due to the focus on the Seleucid buildings (saw a preview, those are some fine buildings, just to add).

Oh, and a question. Do you consider (in terms of buildings) Europa Barbarorum 2 a reliable source for historical accuracy?

Edited by Germanic_celt79

A thing that bugs me is that they get the hut style house, meaning their houses are smaller and increase the pop limit by a smaller number than that of other civs like the Carthaginians, Romans, Hellenes etc.

I think this is done in terms of balancing...

It's been decided that gauls would have smaller houses, to change that would force us to get rid of the current models all together

which is fine, it means there's potential for more extensive development. Ptolemies would have +10 houses if we were sticking to accuracy

It would be nice though, it would help differentiate the two celtic civs

• Like 1

Ah Pureon would be best equipped to handle that, or at least I think they're his houses... Just doing a rescale would lead to ugly stretchiness and all that, the roofs should be easy enough for me to fix though

and the walls, those walls look neat! ha

Ah, makes sense then. Stretching it out would look ugly. Sorry, but which walls? The picture of the gates?

Anyway, got some more images.

b8u8qV.jpg

^^ Gallic leather cuirass from Total War Rome 2.

xfrdw1.jpg

^^Sanctuary of Corent and nearby houses. All are fairly long and most have wood roofs.

XIAJnh.jpg

^^Gaulish farm with some longhouses.

I have more pictures of Leather Cuirasses but they're rather large.

HRfpvU.jpg

^^Is a reconstruction of the houses in Corent.

T1YT3t.jpg

OrifXP.jpg

The market place of Corent. If the current marketplace were made to look similar to that, it'd improve the appearance of Gallic buildings and make up for most of the other buildings being small (also, the Celts were known to be great traders, a large market would suit them.)

Source: http://www.luern.fr/index.php?mod=scientifique&act=habitat&id=25

Adding something new will not dilute, it shows a full range of their architectural capabilites.

Actually I meant that the "small" 5 pop houses for "barbarians" give different gameplay than the "big" 10 pop houses for most of the "imperial" civs. I cannot believe that this was not deliberate, and changing it just because someone wants to have bigger house models seems odd. Thwe pop bonus for houses and other buildings is meta, not realistic anyway.

Actually I meant that the "small" 5 pop houses for "barbarians" give different gameplay than the "big" 10 pop houses for most of the "imperial" civs. I cannot believe that this was not deliberate, and changing it just because someone wants to have bigger house models seems odd. Thwe pop bonus for houses and other buildings is meta, not realistic anyway.

Yes, but at the same time Ptolemies and Mauryans have +5 Houses. I agree with you, though. Despite a Gaullish commoner house often being similar in size to a Greek commoner house, I doubt it'd house +10 people. Indeed in honesty all I'd prefer is bigger models for Gauls in general. Simply because if you compare the buildings for all the civs, you'll see that the Gaulish buildings are easily smaller in general to that of other civs.