Alpha 18 Balancing Branch

scythetwirler

Okay, why were the Cartheginian mercenary techs removed?

Because everyone took metal reduction costs ANYWAY, then just mass trained them to not have to worry about traintime bonus.

Unless the map you were on had, like 9000 5k metal mines.

I like it better this way myself, they technically sort of cost more than they did...

But they also kind of cost less. Maybe we can come up with new techs? :o

Well, if I hadn't of pointed out to Mythos_Ruler that limiting the embassies to one greatly favored the train time reduction techs, then it just would have been the other way around. Of course, I favor train the time reduction techs instead of the metal cost reduction techs, because as long as I have health metal production, metal cost reduction is less important.

• Like 1

True, true, they do get a trade bonus, but trading isn't a substitute for a good uninterupted metal mining.
Especially at the price we were paying for ONE Mercenary. (100 metal is ALOT MAN)

Personally I think that it's better now than it was. I think if the mercs are going to have techs, they need to be more interesting than "cost less or train faster"

True, true, they do get a trade bonus, but trading isn't a substitute for a good uninterupted metal mining.

Especially at the price we were paying for ONE Mercenary. (100 metal is ALOT MAN)

Personally I think that it's better now than it was. I think if the mercs are going to have techs, they need to be more interesting than "cost less or train faster"

Well, they can have both simple techs and more interesting techs, just like the whole game.

In my mod I give all mercs 0 pop cost, but they gather at Elite citizen-soldier rates (half the speed of Basic rank citizen). Carthage gets the most mercs of course, but Ptolemies are 2nd. Mercs could also be more intersting if capturable Merc Camp idea finally implement.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

0 pop mercs? Interesting.

Interestingly, in Age of Empires 3, mercenaries were stronger than other units and used up more population slots.

However, Native Americans used no population slots and they were limited in the amount that could be trained.