What Do You Like Most About An Rts

Swellick

• 2 weeks later...

I love map editors. I just never seem to be able to pull off and finish a project. Most editors are bunged in as an optional extra and generally buggy, which makes stuff all the harder.

In city builders, I also love the feeling when my industry is really powerfull, creating huge surpluses and giving me loads of dinero.

• 13 years later...

Regenerate resources or reseeding even in small amount in random areas, Capture enemy units. More realistic unit actions. Assasin mode. Roads. Women militia upgrade. Champions coming from fully promoted units upgraded upon entering champions building. Regular foot and mounted archer units in every civs. Weapons building. Limited barracks, stable and siege factories (1 per CC or fort). Limited caravan/merchants. AI that can micro manage. Upgrade buildings for farms, stone and metal production (adding more buildings to CC/fort is more pretty).

• Like 2

I like when terrain is very important and I have to plan how to exploit it best. 

One thing 0AD does not have that I enjoy is units with unique names that upgrade with experience to become legendary soldiers.  Yes, units can gain two levels of proficiency but I would like to see them promoted further and have names so I can keep track of them and build a story around them.

• Like 3

I like an element of timing and economic management. Even Command & Conquer had some of that, you could build a refinery for $2,000 and sell it for 1/4 of its value (and keep the free harvester that came with it) or you could build a harvester from your war factory for $1,400. You either slow your construction queue or your unit building queue. There is also timing with regards to resource distances from your refineries. Age Of Mythology and some other RTS games go beyond the basics and involve multiple resource types. I see nothing wrong with that, if anything we need more of it! EA's interpretation of C&C is much faster than the original games, there is more rushing and launching cheap attacks, and less base building.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

Since we're resurrecting a decade-old thread, I'll play along.

I love the "real-time" part:

Chess is the stereotype of strategy games. Nowadays "taking turns" is boring for most people. That's what I love most about Real-time Strategy.

I enjoy the map Campaing in Total War many times more than  the RTS  maps.

16 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I enjoy the map Campaing in Total War many times more than  the RTS  maps.

Oh come on. I'm not talking about us strategy nerds. I was referring to the people who don't enjoy anything that is "turn-based". The people don't like pure mental exercise.