32 bit Ubuntu (Linux) vs. 64 bit Ubuntu (Linux) to play 0 A.D.

michael@piziak.com

Here's the scenario.

I installed Ubuntu 64 bit on my sisters Quad (4) Intel computer with 4 gigs of ram. It runs 0 A.D. perfectly. When I look at System Monitor, all 4 of her processor chips are working together while the game is running.

My computer at home has Ubuntu 32 bit installed on an Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs of ram. When I run 0 A.D. on it, the mouse cursor is choppy, making the game unplayable to me. When I look at System Monitor, one of my two processors if working near 100% while the second processor is running at around 5% while 0 A.D. is running. Interesting enough, all other emulation games I play, both of my processor chips are sharing the work.

I am considering upgrading to a 64 bit of Ubuntu Linux if those here think that would help me run 0 A.D. smoothly. There is debate in the Linux community on whether or not 64 bit installations really help at this point. Perhaps it would help with 0 A.D. ?

Please reply and comment.

Hello michael,

Unfortunately, the game does not support multi-threading (using multiple processors) yet, and does not benefit from 64bit versions of Linux systems.

Even if we're aware that it would be a significant change in terms of performance, it is a complicated technical task and it is not planned for right now. Eventually we will take care of this :)

Don't hesitate to ask for more information.

Hello michael,

Unfortunately, the game does not support multi-threading (using multiple processors) yet, and does not benefit from 64bit versions of Linux systems.

Even if we're aware that it would be a significant change in terms of performance, it is a complicated technical task and it is not planned for right now. Eventually we will take care of this :)

Don't hesitate to ask for more information.

Thanks for your reply. This explains a lot, because I can use system monitor to see how my 2 processor chips are working, and when I play 0 A.D. it's like one chip is working 100% and the other chip is barely working (like 4%).

A 64 bit version, or atleast one that would force the system to use both chips, would significantly help those of us that have older systems - like myself.