Delenda Est: An overhaul mod for 0 A.D.

wowgetoffyourcellphone

22 hours ago, LordGood said:

You would be dropping several thousand out of the treasury, possibly tens at that level of finish. 

22 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yep. Or maybe not. Depends on who you get. Deviant Art is full of talented people.

Also, it depends on the composition of course. The top one has a lot less going on than the bottom one. I'd model them all off the top one anyway.

On 9/22/2017 at 2:47 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

screenshot1277.png

If I was in charge, which I'm not, I'd commission an artist to create a series of backgrounds, one for each faction in the core game. Two layers: The background layer, and the foreground soldier/unit/character looking over his/her shoulder at the player, like, "Join me, or die!"

Amended: I'd commission like this:

Background layers:

• Hoplites like the image, more authentic shield patterns though
  • Persian Immortals/ Sparabara
  • Indian Maiden Archers and Yoddha
  • A shield wall of Celtic warriors
  • Roman soldiers from the Republican era

Then can commission a couple of heroes for each, which can randomize over the proper background layer. Boudicca and Vercingetorix over the Celtic background, for instance.

Dreaming even further: 

I'd do batches for the Kushites and Chinese too. Maybe Carthage and Egyptians to round it out.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

Dreaming even further, having backgrounds showing historical battles/conflicts featuring 2 civilisations fighting each other, with a small historical description of the scene in a text-box in the lower right corner or something would be amazing.

You'd only need to make half as many :P 

Something like LordGood did for the Kushite/Roman war.

Spoiler

I imagine this as the Roman sack of Napata:

kush_background.png.bba8c66e62a821291820066ed0e7788d.thumb.png.f7f677a5b24d3fe5909fbb6459abe924.png

@wowgetoffyourcellphone Maybe as the owner of a mod you could commission them on websites like Artstation, and if they are good they could be included in the main game, like the last big Art commit in the previous alpha. (Though this time it would be splitted so @elexis won't cringe trying to estimate the range of the changes). 

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone Maybe as the owner of a mod you could commission them on websites like Artstation, and if they are good they could be included in the main game, like the last big Art commit in the previous alpha. (Though this time it would be splitted so @elexis won't cringe trying to estimate the range of the changes). 

lol, well, I just sent the zip -- with some accidental files I didn't intend, but oh well -- and it was someone else's job to parse. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Dreaming even further, having backgrounds showing historical battles/conflicts featuring 2 civilisations fighting each other, with a small historical description of the scene in a text-box in the lower right corner or something would be amazing.

You'd only need to make half as many :P 

Something like LordGood did for the Kushite/Roman war.

Reveal hidden contents

I imagine this as the Roman sack of Napata:

kush_background.png.bba8c66e62a821291820066ed0e7788d.thumb.png.f7f677a5b24d3fe5909fbb6459abe924.png

I was trying to conceptualize them as simple and moody, rather than busy and complicated. ;)

• 1 year later...

I'm wondering, will there ever be a method to train soldiers slowly while out of combat? Like tasking them on a barracks? I've only been playing against the AI, but it seems that when I start to win, and get a higher level army, there is NOTHING the AI (or I'm assuming another player) could do to combat it.  Maybe hard counters/ SUPER swarm, but if you're on the backfoot of a game, making a huge army seems unlikely. I'm just thinking some form of lesser xp generating to keep players from snowballing off of elite armies would be cool.

Next idea: Possibly split up which units can build which buildings more.  Some civs like Sparta and Seleucids can't build late buildings because there was no room in the building UI for the building, so it was unacessable. (I was sad I couldn't try Silver Shields with your pike system) Maybe make some of the more eco specific buildings like farms, homesteads, market stalls and whatnot only buildable by citizens, and keep the more military focused bulidings for soldiers. Mainly so you don't run out of room in the building UI and lock out some important buildings.

Edited by Phalanx

• 1 year later...

Chalbus of the Tartesii:

Livy 23.26: These deserters had started an agitation amongst the tribe of the Tartesii and had induced several cities to revolt, and one they had actually taken by storm. The war was now diverted from the Romans to this tribe, and Hasdrubal entered their territories with an invading army. Chalbus, a distinguished general amongst them, was encamped with a strong force before the walls of a city which he had captured a few days before, and Hasdrubal determined to attack him. He sent forward skirmishers to draw the enemy into an engagement and told off a part of his cavalry to lay waste the surrounding country and pick up stragglers. There was confusion in the camp and panic and bloodshed in the fields, but when they had regained the camp from all directions their fears so suddenly left them that they became emboldened, not only to defend their camp, but even to take the aggressive against the enemy. They burst in a body out of their camp, executing war dances after their manner, and this unexpected daring on their part carried terror into the hearts of the enemy, who had shortly before been challenging them. Hasdrubal thereupon withdrew his force to a fairly lofty hill, which was also protected by a river which served as a barrier. He retired his skirmishers and his scattered cavalry also to this same position. Not, however, feeling sufficiently protected by either hill or river he strongly entrenched himself. Several skirmishes took place between the two sides who were alternately frightening and fearing each other, and the Numidian trooper proved to be no match for the Spaniard, nor were the darts of the Moor very effective against the ox-hide shields of the natives, who were quite as rapid in their movements and possessed more strength and courage.

Cerdubelus, a traitor:

Important character of Castulo. In the year 206 BC, he advised the inhabitants of Cástulo, a city defended by Hispanics and by the rest of the Carthaginian army, to surrender to the Romans. Cerdubelo handed over, with a secret pact, the city and the Carthaginians to the Romans. The name is Iberian.

Luxinius and Culchas:

Livy 33.21: It was at this time that Attalus, who owing to his illness had been carried from Thebes to Pergamum, died there in his seventy-second year after a reign of forty-four years. Beyond his wealth Fortune had bestowed nothing on this man which could lead him to hope that he would ever be king. But by making a wise use of his riches and at the same time employing them on a magnificent scale he gradually began to be regarded, first in his own estimation and then in the eyes of his friends, as not unworthy of the crown. In one decisive battle he defeated the Gauls-a nation all the more dreaded because they had migrated into Asia comparatively recently-and after this victory he assumed the royal title and ever after justified it by a corresponding greatness of soul. He governed his subjects with absolute justice and showed exceptional loyalty to his allies; affectionate towards his wife and his children, four of whom survived him, he was considerate and generous to his friends and left his kingdom so settled and secure that the possession of it descended to the third generation of his posterity. This was the state of things in Greece, Asia and Macedonia, when just as the campaign against Philip was brought to a close and before peace had been definitely established a serious war broke out in Further Spain. M. Helvius was administering the province, and he wrote to the senate to inform them that the tribal chiefs Culchas and Luxinius were in arms. Fifteen fortified towns were taking part with Culchas, whilst Luxinius was supported by the strong cities of Carmo and Bardo, the Malacini and Sexetani on the coast and the whole of Baeturia. In addition to these the tribes which had not yet disclosed their intentions were prepared to rise as soon as their neighbours moved. After M. Sergius, the city praetor, had read this despatch in the senate a decree was passed ordering that after the new praetors were elected the one who obtained Spain as his province should as soon as possible ask for the senate's instructions as to the military operations there.

• Thanks 1

Viridomarus "King of the Insubres"

Britomaros / Viridomaros is the king of the Gaesatae

http://encyclopedie.arbre-celtique.com/britomaros-viridomaros-2219.htm

4th Gallic Hero 

I would say Bolgios:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolgios

Or Ambiorix:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambiorix

Or Comontorios from Tylis kingdom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylis

Or Luern the Arvernian king

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luern

17 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

Chalbus of the Tartesii:

Cerdubelus, a traitor:

Luxinius and Culchas:

I'm going to open up that Hero progress sheet thread once I'm done posting all of the civs. I just want all of the civ posts to be grouped together and not interspersed with comments and critiques yet. I know the heroes need a ton of work.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CovenantKillerJ said:

Will the ai be updated at some point to play with delenda est's features? 

The AI doesn't play all of the core game's features yet either. ;) 

But yeah, probably not until the core game's ai is extended quite a bit more. It needs to be made more agnostic about territory restrictions and such things. Also, it needs to know when it can upgrade towers and things like that. Those changes would just help the ai in general, not specifically for DE (though they would help DE too). Specifically for DE, the territory agnosticism would help for nomadic civs, like the Scythians, Huns, and Xiongnu. Currently, the AI has no clue how to play a civ without territory; it would also help with placing farmsteads and storehouses in neutral territory. Another one specific to DE is the hero selection at the beginning. The AI doesn't know to choose one of the hero techs to unlock the hero and get those boosts.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone