Building Walls -> disconnect MP-game

Yannick

Hello,

I play 0 A.D. since Alpha 15.

But me and my friend stopped playing since of a very annoying bug, that always occurred,

when the joined player (not the hosting one!) build walls which had more than one segment.

We waited for Alpha 16 and Alpha 17 but non of those versions fixed the bug.

After deeper search it looks like we are the only once with this issue.

We both opened up port 20959 and disabled our firewalls and anti-virus-programs.

And we tried Build 15843 on Windows (both). 15849 on Ubuntu and Arch. We also tried to mix the Builds (one player on Windows and one on Linux).

We tried it via the lobby, via the main menu and that even with Hamachi.

Today I tried to reproduce it with another friend.

We were able to do so. But only I disconnected when he was hosting. Not him when I was hosting.

I attached both log folders.

He (xeramon) was hosting. I connected and build a long wall. Got disconnected and exited the game. (tried to keep the log files as short as possible)

Take a look at the different length of the commands.txt.

In my log file the action of building a wall was not even named.

Hope the log files help.

Another issue we have is, that a friend can not join my mp-game. Instead of the Map image he sees the 0 A.D. logo. and no information about anything (other users, map) or even the chat.

He can write something in the chat and I can read it. He can set his status to ready.

When I start the game I joined and was able to play.

He stuck in the empty "prepare screen" and could still write via the chat. (Messages even appeared ingame on my screen).

He tried disconnecting and rejoining, but no luck.

However, I was then able join HIS game without any problems. But sometimes the problem also occurred when I tried to join his game.

It's wired and I don't know how to describe it.

Thanks in advance.

yannick_logs.zip

xeramon_logs.zip

• Like 1

So, regarding the second issue:

I told my friend (who only saw the empty screen while connecting) that he should use his mobilephone with a hotspot.

He tried it and it worked. So it looks like his internet connection is the problem.

I'll look into his router and will investigate further.

My thinking was the router could be dying or otherwise broken. You could check if it has firmware updates available, or replace it if necessary (lots of people have routers now, even spares, so it's not hard to test a replacement). We still can't rule out your ISP as the problem, though, they may be filtering traffic or doing something else to interfere with the game.

My thinking was the router could be dying or otherwise broken. You could check if it has firmware updates available, or replace it if necessary (lots of people have routers now, even spares, so it's not hard to test a replacement). We still can't rule out your ISP as the problem, though, they may be filtering traffic or doing something else to interfere with the game.

His router is pretty old, its from 2005 (iirc last updated 2007) I think and it doesn't seem to have any updates.

But the thing is that the guy can host and we can connect to him but he can't connect to yannick - well technically he can, I guess, but he doesn't see the map in the top right corner and doesn't load into the came when Yannick presses "Start game".

We wouldn't like to let him host since he has a weak processor and we can't build walls, like Yannick mentioned before.

Any idea what it could be exactly?

Edited by Xeramon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not much into 0 A.D.s network behavior but AFAIK different CPU architectures (and maybe even different OS) may calculate trigonometric functions differently (which are used multiple times in wall placement).

That's just a though but I can't find an out of sync error that would occur in such case so likely that's not the source of the error.

I'm not much into 0 A.D.s network behavior but AFAIK different CPU architectures (and maybe even different OS) may calculate trigonometric functions differently (which are used multiple times in wall placement).

That's just a though but I can't find an out of sync error that would occur in such case so likely that's not the source of the error.

If this would be the case then he couldn't host I guess.

If this would be the case then he couldn't host I guess.

Well, you could host and your mate could join and you could start a game but at the moment you build a wall (and the difference in calculation on both systems happen) an out of sync (OOS) error would occur. I don't think it's this, though, since I think an OOS error would be logged and it isn't.