0ad no mouse cursor - windows - alpha 17

jwf1776

symptom: no mouse cursor when game launched

googling "0ad" and "no mouse cursor" did not yield many helpful results, so i will post the solution again to hopefully make it easier to find.

create a new local settings file. The path varies by your OS, see GameDataPaths. Open the new file in your text editor of choice, and copy any lines you want to change from default.cfg into the new local.cfg.

(usually under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\0 A.D. alpha\binaries\data\config

paste the the following lines into the local.cfg:

; Disable hardware cursors

nohwcursor = true
Edited by jwf1776

yes missing from start of game, i was running fullscreen,

Alt+Enter for windowed mode makes the cursor appear (when nohwcursor = false), returning to fullscreen removes the cursor again,

when the cursor is missing, i can move the mouse and get menu items to highlight (like the cursor is invisible)

system info:

http://1drv.ms/11gol9P

• 1 month later...

hmm, i am getting this on other systems also. should i file a bug report for this or troubleshoot it here in the forum more? non-technical users might be installing 0ad for the first time, having the cursor issue, and not ever getting to try out the game...

the unique thing about the error on this comp is that the cursor works when pyrogenisys is lauched by user1 but cursor doesn't work when launched by user2

(path to pyrogenisis C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\0 A.D. alpha\binaries\system)

CPU : x86, AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (1x4x1), 3.00 GHz
Memory : 8192 MiB; 6337 MiB free
Graphics Card : ATI AMD Radeon HD 6550D
OpenGL Drivers : 4.3.12618 Compatibility Profile Context 13.251.0.0; atioglxx.dll (6.14.10.12618)
Video Mode : 1920x1080:32
Edited by jwf1776

If it's installed into User1's home directory, you should only run it from User1's account. Otherwise, there is a good chance that permissions will be incorrect. If you want both User1 and User2 to play the same install, you should install it somewhere that both can access. I don't know why that would cause a problem with cursors though, or if it would.