Reconstructed Han Dynasty clothing

wolflance

• 2 months later...

Reconstruction by Cang Ning Jun (蒼凝君) of Mu Feng Guo Jia (沐風國甲, can be roughly translated to “Wind-bathing National Armour”). Cang Ning Jun is not his real name.

Available at Taobao. No, really.

Let's just say Han warrior kick @#$%.

RqLP53P.jpg

oqd38pu.jpg

SZ1PeYJ.jpg

bsRWc5U.jpg

YfzGJV1.jpg

TB2E9I.gFXXXXapXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!54233286.j

qCoJLdB.jpg

AirVJqf.jpg

9x13Kur.jpg

Not sure about the scarfs, but given that Han Dynasty fought Xiongnu in the desert, it was not out of place.

Good showcase of how long a two-handed Han sword can be, and more importantly, Han quiver.

That being said, the swords seem overly ornate, and I am also not too sure about the boot.

Edited by wolflance
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Total War is also working on the Han and the Xiongnu so there are a lot of people posting on uniforms tactics and weapons on several forums. Clearly the total war people see a big opening in the chinese gamering market.  We're in a race. lol. 
What's chinese for dude? Lets get him dressed. 

Edited by Wesley

• 1 month later...

I love the straight edge daos! I've definitely seen those photographed and they fit the time period. In fact, they're used very often throughout Chinese history.

e: I don't know about the length though. If experts think that's accurate (and being iron it most likely is). I've seen photos of bronze daos more often.

e2: quick Google showed that iron jians swords were developed even before Han!

Edited by SDM
addendum
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 9:47 AM, SDM said:

I love the straight edge daos! I've definitely seen those photographed and they fit the time period. In fact, they're used very often throughout Chinese history.

e: I don't know about the length though. If experts think that's accurate (and being iron it most likely is). I've seen photos of bronze daos more often.

e2: quick Google showed that iron jians swords were developed even before Han!

Straight-edged dao was the mainstay sidearm from Han to Song Dynasty. After the Mongols conquest, they switched to the curved sabers we know today.

China was one of the earliest civilization to make common use of two-handed sword with definite archaeological proofs (the Indian predate them in two-handed sword usage, but they have scant archaeological findings). They had two-handed bronze sword (jian) even. The longest Han Dynasty two-handed dao seems to be a find dated to Three Kingdoms period (Wu Kingdom), measured at 146 cm. Most are around 110~120 cm range though, similar to 15-16th century European longsword.

gC8iTCC.jpg

Wu Kingdom two-handed dao. This is NOT a replica.

74JsEGF.jpg

As a side note. the Chinese also had cavalry dao with knuckle bowl handguard.

• 1 month later...

Wow that's amazing! Can you link the museum or sites where you found the Wu Kingdom dao? I've always felt that there is a significant lack of research material (in English) done on Han Dynasty arms and armor. The Osprey books on China I heard are outdated and inaccurate.

As a HEMA practitioner, the comparison to 15th century longswords gave me fairly good idea of the sword, actually!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 3:52 AM, SDM said:

Wow that's amazing! Can you link the museum or sites where you found the Wu Kingdom dao? I've always felt that there is a significant lack of research material (in English) done on Han Dynasty arms and armor. The Osprey books on China I heard are outdated and inaccurate.

As a HEMA practitioner, the comparison to 15th century longswords gave me fairly good idea of the sword, actually!

Sorry for the late reply. The 146cm Three Kingdom Wu sword is kept at Ezhou Museum, Hubei, China. The museum has a website (in Chinese, for obvious reason), although this sword is not displayed on their site.

http://www.ezbwg.com/

The Osprey books give only the most rudimentary outline of ancient Chinese military, and their illustrations (on Chinese armies) are really crap. The lack of research material in English is regrettable, although understandable, as even the Chinese ones are fragmentary and basically all over the place.

For example, apparently there exists a Eastern Han Dynasty brick carving that depicts a soldier spanning a WINDLASS CROSSBOW, but no one seems to be talking about it or even aware of it.

winchedcrossbow_zps2128b3c3.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

《定西荒》 is an ongoing historical comic about Han Dynasty's establishment/dominance of the silk road created by China's talented artist hotoon蓦然. Every minute detail in the comic is meticulously researched and extremely accurate - not limited to the Chinese but various cultures of the steppe as well.

2m3DlUe.jpg

Edited by wolflance

Some highlights of the comic:

53gIhwc.jpg

Luoyang, capital city of the (Eastern) Han Empire. Note the Han-style city wall.

Dw5f07R.jpg

You Zhou Tu Qi (幽州突騎), one of the most prominent cavalry troops of the Han Dynasty.

YCv9iGZ.jpg

Han crossbowmen.

D4jBnnL.jpg

Kushan Emperor Vima Takto (80-90 CE). During the time of his reign the Kushan rulers were very Hellenistic (Greek being their official language), hence the muscled cuirass on one of his guard.

jafiW9S.jpg

The dreaded Xiongnu. Note the guy with big nose on the left. His weird head shape is the result of Xiongnu's head binding practice causing cranial deformation - the same one practiced by the Huns. The author chooses to depict the Xiongnu as mix of  both European and Asiatic people.

(Note: Although it is claimed that the Huns practiced artificial cranial deformation while Xiongnu didn't,  Han Dynasty texts do in fact mentioned this practice by Kucha people, a major vassal of Northern Xiongnu. Some skulls with cranial deformation also turn up at Xinjiang)

OQXEQon.jpg

Kushan cataphracts engaging Parthian cataphracts at Taxila, modern day Pakistan (yes, they are using couched lance charge before the Norman knights "invented" it. Yes. It is historical).

Edited by wolflance
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Great sources.

Kushians another good faction to add.

Kushan Empire will indeed be a very fascinating faction and the only real contender to Han Chinese (if Rome is not in the picture). If there's any faction that can out-compete the Chinese in power and the "completeness" of army roster, Kushan will be that faction.

Kushan military was a combination of steppe, Scythian, Iranian, Greek and Indian traditions, thus they  had their own horse archers, heavy cataphracts, Indian-style light infantry, chariots and war elephants, and Greek-style hoplites, and other infantry/cavalry from all those traditions.

Edited by wolflance
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

@Lion.Kanzen So what are the buildings we are talking about for the minifaction ?
What hat ?

The Xiongnu probably lived in Yurt similar in style to the Mongol ones, including the "mobile yurt" (minus Mongol-style decorations), although if you extend their faction's history post Han Dynasty they did build city (Tongwancheng for example).

Despite being nomads, Xiongnu also mined, smelted, and crafted their own bronze and iron stuffs.

Edited by wolflance
  • Like 1

@Alexandermb If you are up for the task you can make the minifaction.

Main Building -> Something that could depict a small village similar to what you did for Carolingian Fortress. Could be used by mods to train mercenaries
Houses -> 4 variants if possible
Faction specific buildings -> Likely something like a granary and/or storehouse
Props -> Pots if you can reuse them as much as possible using prop points
Weapons + Helmets

Bonus Unit, textures.

Try to gather all the texture pieces you need and make only one texture if possible.

Thanks in advance;

Edited by stanislas69
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

@Alexandermb If you are up for the task you can make the minifaction.

Main Building -> Something that could depict a small village similar to what you did for Carolingian Fortress. Could be used by mods to train mercenaries
Houses -> 4 variants if possible
Faction specific buildings -> Likely something like a granary and/or storehouse
Props -> Pots if you can reuse them as much as possible using prop points
Weapons + Helmets

Bonus Unit, textures.

Try to gather all the texture pieces you need and make only one texture if possible.

Thanks in advance;

Can be used for Huns in main game and Scythians/Sarmatians.