Civilization Idea: Nubians

seba_djai

Good Morning all. As I was playing this game, I thought that the Kingdom of Kush would be a great civilization to have. They were fierce warriors, iron workers, and had trade routes that extended beyond Egypt's reach.

In terms of the warrior specifics and such, this is a very lose idea. Maybe Kush's weapons could be a bit stronger due to their Iron skills, or speed, since many times they would hire Sudanese nomadic mercenaries.

meroitic-nubian-warrior-holding-a-captur

There was a legend that said that The Kandake of Meroe (Queen, many times warrior queens) fought off Alexander the Great on an African war elephant. The kingdom of Kush was ruled by many powerful queens.

nubian100~~element25.jpg

piyenubia.jpg

db6d629466719782a64f3d9cd49ef979.jpg

The village women could look like the hand maidens in the first image, in simple linen wrap dresses, with very short hair/ shaven heads, or more like (far left):

nubian-tribute.jpg

Except not topless...gotta keep it family friendly. ;P

For the wonder, the narrow and smaller "Nuri Pyramids" would be a good choice. A single pyramid.74af22db4ccc7d3814a63fc789d6112f.jpg

Nubia learned a lot from their neighbors to the north, the Egyptians, but they were still a unique civilization. So the town center wouldnt mimic the Egyptian Per'a, I would say make it look a bit like the big white building shown here:
127703.png?puid=221ee5e5-17ab-433e-a009-

For houses, the typical mud brick box houses would work, maybe with some sort of simple pattern painted on (more like what you see in the nubian regions of Aswan today. It may be something too current, but since not much is known of Nubia/ Kush, this could have been rooted in ancient times.

10_8f8fa08369fefd480b8e51d6ae13a27d.jpg

house-of-nubian-galileo-art.jpg

I should also mention, that the Nubians were known for the "Nubian dome, which is still used in architecture today.

A second idea for the houses could be the round ones with cone shaped roofs (again, pictured above.)

Perhaps the store house could be the larger hut shaped structure with a semi circle wall with exposed materials.

The grainaries could be simple mud brick domes with African baskets sitting outside.

The temples could look like the the typical egyptian pylon temples, but smaller of course.

403060KermaK2.jpg

2013-634943899778356188-835.jpg

idea for relief/ mural for the outside of the temple front:

p318f51.jpg

Queen, King, Princes, and the war god: Apedemak.

In honor of the Mauryan and Iberian column monument, one could add one to this civilization. One idea could be a tall black granite king statue with a cap and necklace of gold. Perhaps this could increase attack or civilian work speed.

1399327_orig.jpg

or a column with these lions (representing Apedemak). This could boost attack.

lionpeople2.jpg

And of course, music could be more African strings and percussion.

ANYWHO, I have rambled on long enough. I don't want to take every aspect of the civilization and dictate and point how it should be done, haha.

I hope you enjoyed this idea. I think this mighty warrior kingdom would be a fantastic addition to this game. I think it would work well with the civilizations that are already in the game, without jumping continents.

This is a very lose idea, and it would be great to see someone take the strings and pull it together.

Have a great weekend! :)

Edited by seba_djai
  • Like 2

Yes?

I think he meant "And now?", as in, if after he edited his post you can now understand it.

I could understand what he meant without issues, and I rephrased it here in case it helps:

"The team has decided not to add more civilizations or factions. And there are factions that are more Important in 0 A.D.'s timeframe. Examples: Pontos kingdom, Numidia, Han Dynasty, Thebas city state."

But can be added as minifaction or in mod if you want see them

With a final cleaned up it should be:

"The team has decided not to add more civilizations or factions. And there are factions that are more important in 0 A.D.'s timeframe. Examples: the Kingdom of Pontus, Numidia, the Han Dynasty, and the Hellenic city-state of Thebes."

The team is currently done with adding more civilizations at this time, since the Seleucids still need a proper art pass to properly differentiate them from the three Hellenic civilizations, the Athenians, the Spartans, and the Macedonians. The only civilization that remotely has a shot of being added at this point would be the Thebans, due to their importance in the history of the Hellenic world, the limited work that has already been done at researching them, and the ability to reuse a lot of assets from the existing Hellenic civilizations.

That combined with the fact that most of 0ad's civilisations fit all (or almost all) requirements for "empire". Maybe excepting Spartans.

Nubians didn't really have an empire, or an excuse for them to be added to the game ;P

Or Iberians. Shaddap Niektb. D:

Actually, yes.
Diversity of subject peoples: Check, (celtiberans, iberians, and north africans were at one point under.. that roman dude who came right after marius and sulla, were united under one banner) (before they were all butchered, and fully assimilated into the roman empire, BUT IT COUNTS, RAWR)

everything else is subjective.

Edited by auron2401

My compliments for your thorough post! :thumbsup:

Though the main game won't add any other civs, there is a mod that probably will future Nubians (could you confirm, Lion?). Your info will be probably of use there. http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17016&page=1

Iberian Empire, Auron2401?

Edited by niektb

• 4 months later...