(ROTE) ===[TASK]=== Han Dynasty Blacksmith

Ayakashi

Drew the concept so I'll just kick it off!

post-15249-0-91375800-1407123606_thumb.j

Some notes:

* This Blacksmith incorporates a blast furnace, which is the stone platform with the wide chimney like thing. The Han was the only culture that uses blast furnaces to make tools and weapon parts out of cast iron in this timeframe.

* The mechanism on the right is a human "hamster wheel" that turns a pole which pushes down a bellow with the studs on it. The wooden counterbalanced crane pulls it back up. During the Han these where often powered by water but I went for man power for obvious reasons.

* The pool in the middle is where they pour molten iron in.

* At the bottom is a crate of molds.

References used:

610px-Chinese_Puddle_and_Blast_Furnace.j

Blastfurnace2-12-08-2008.png

193.jpg

320px-Earthenware_architecture_models%2C

Edited by Ayakashi
  • Like 5

:ninja: Sometimes I ask myself if you are from this star ... :alien:

I'll definitely get involved in the creation of your blacksmith once my list shortens. The blender addon may be a boost as there are quite a lot of props that also may be reused differently.

Allow me one question:

Should the furnace be attackable? I would love to make the furnace visibly garrison inside the blacksmith. The furnace furthermore could turn metal into swords and other weapons. i.e. if you select the furnace (using Sander's system), then you could produce weapons.

I know people think this is too complex, though I'd really love to experiment with the weapon system.

Thank you for giving our projects hope with your concepts! It's the hardest part. Concept artists are our :roman: s.

Btw what do you think of making the props garisonned a rotating wheel and the base a

Non turning wheel ?

Also I have something that bugs me. The roofs. This building with the storehouse will be the only ones with such roofs maybe we should make a more other building like type of roof.

Edited by stanislas69

Great idea. We then needed to assign the wheel rotation as Idle variant animation, such that the engine picks it correctly. As we won't define any other, the wheel might always turn.

Though we could add a variant where the wheel stands still. But it then would ever stand still.

You are right, I am a bit short on time and skill. Though that addon got a little bit more complicated than I imagined. As always.

I would love to use your or Enrique's roofs. I like them, and I think they are looking like Ayakashi's sketched roofs. Tell me if I'm blind. My roof is too high poly and you solve the same with textures only which might be preferable.

Well afaik unis switch props when switching state. So defining idle a no moving anim and garisonned a moving would work.

About the roof... None of the current buildings are using those three row curved wood things. So i think we should use the old sketches design for consistency. What do you think ?

Up to you I don't really mind. They are not wood really they are ceramic tiles like the rest of the roof. I guess the inconsistency with say like the Civ Center is because I was imagining the idea of having one type of roof for 'commoner' buildings such as houses, farms and industrial building which uses poorer quality tiles and another type for 'noble' and military buildings which looks more regal. But of course if you want to keep everything consistent I'm totally fine with that too! :)

Not sure about that idea.

I was just thinking of it being like a regular blacksmith from any faction. Only exceptions are that maybe there'll be a couple of unique researches based on the tech of cast iron such as cast iron weapons: which maybe allows you to train units a certain percentage faster at a slight cost to the damage they can deal (cast iron blades tend to more brittle). Or maybe cast iron lamellars for armor, or cast iron crossbow parts etc...

Hey just throwing out some ideas! Hope you're joking tho coz that imo is kind of long! Maybe a reasearch that makes crossbowmen or certain other units more efficent be better?

But hey I'm only the guy who does the drawings its best not leaving big gameplay decisions up to me! ;)

Edited by Ayakashi

Myself is lost in blender addon dev. So it can't be me either.

Though I'd love to make the blacksmith produce real weapons. Different grade even. For example two different quality crossbows. Or an attachment for the crossbow to make it even more accurate, if this is visibly garrisoned inside the crossbow. Though that may screw its animation, but I can live with it.

Of course each of these attachments had to be produced first. To produce it, you'd need to research it.