(ROTE) ===[TASK]=== Rice field experiments

Radagast.

The farmstead is only an actor, without any simulation effect.

Only visibly garrisoning (and its subvariants like turrets, inventory, ...) can bear props that have influence on gameplay.

It's only as a 1% probability for the wild rice field, which is only placeable in Atlas as eyecandy. (can a wild rice field be grown?)

Our main simulation Han plot_rice.xml field actor is still unchanged. We now have two options:

1) Add the new terraces actor plot_rice_field_8x8.xml as a variant or

2) Create a smaller variant (6x6) and fully exchange the current single rice plot with the one where it is drop-propped as terraces.

3) Same like 2 but with 8x8. (my favourite because I think many terraces are needed to make it look good and thus 8x8 is better than 6x6, but we might have to check)

I committed an improved version of the rice terraces/stairs:

post-15921-0-14502000-1408278638_thumb.j

Water is not shown. I think I must have broken the water, despite water_4x4.xml being attached in the correct height. At least I'm sure as neither attaching to root nor to (prop-point) waterlevel fixes it.

post-15921-0-81136800-1408280242_thumb.j

If someone wants to lessen the field's size then please create a new actor with "6x6" instead of simply changing the "8x8" one.

We also might have to further deepen the rice plot's / terrace's depth into the ground.

Edit: I admit what I did so far for the terraces is not enough. It's really not looking good.

Edited by Radagast.

• 1 month later...

What's the problem of using LordGood's method of propping different level terraces?

Sorry, commander, I thought I did use his method?

Here's the newest version, should address most issues (besides the water still not showing up):

post-15921-0-37115800-1411283813_thumb.j

LordGood's method is advantageous in that it's less manual than Niek's proposal. Nevertheless Niek's proposal with drop-propping stones instead of the walls is also a nice idea, despite increasing poly-count, but that's of minor importance here. (we have still other real severe performance bottlenecks in 0AD)

(It was a lot of trial and error to find the correct patch prop points.)